Sign in to follow this  
Puzzy magnet

"Forced" to sell in Jan?

But who? I guess Croft, maybe Marshall if the scouts have missed his clangers?

Bristol Evening Post

December 13, 2008 Saturday

Gary Johnson has money to spend in transfer window;
Bristol City boss Gary Johnson has been given permission to spend in the January sales.

SECTION: Pg. 48

LENGTH: 500 words

And chairman Steve Lansdown has told the Londoner he can increase the club''s wage bill if it means recruiting players who he believes will improve the current first team squad.

Johnson spoke of the need to bring in new faces following Wednesday''s 3-1 defeat at Ipswich, a result which left the Robins in 15th place in the Championship, seven points adrift of the final play-off berth.

The January transfer window opens in just under three weeks and Lansdown''s continued backing for his manager means Johnson does not have to sell players before making new signings.

Lansdown will listen to offers for transfer-listed defender Bradley Orr and striker Steve Brooker, but is prepared to splash the cash even if both end up staying at Ashton Gate until their contracts expire at the end of the season.

City''s stance is in marked contrast to many of their Championship rivals, many of whom are being forced to reduce costs in the face of growing recession.

Cash-strapped Watford, Southampton, Norwich, Charlton and Southampton are just some of the clubs who will attempt to sell players next month in an increasingly desperate attempt to cut wages.

"The chairman will make money available for new signings in January and we know what we need to bring in," said Johnson. "It is usually a case of moving two or three out to get two or three in, but that doesn''t apply to us at this moment in time.

"We don''t have to sell before we buy and I have the chairman to thank for that.

"There are some clubs bigger than us who are worse off financially and, at a time when they are offloading players to reduce their wage bills, I''m being allowed to increase mine.

"It''s not an astronomical amount and the club isn''t going to go out of business, but the chairman is happy for us to be looking for a bit of quality and it means we''re in there competing.

"This is something we were already discussing before the Ipswich game and we feel a few new faces will help restore confidence and make us more consistent."

But Johnson steadfastly refuses to name potential targets or even reveal which areas of the team he is seeking to strengthen. He said: "You can''t start talking about your business in public. That has to be kept in house.

"There are sure to be lots of rumours flying around in January, but it''s not worth listening to most of them. It will come down to which players are available and at what price.

"I''m not going to talk about positions, because that''s disrespectful to the players already here, some of whom are going to be a part of the future."

Johnson''s hand is being forced by inconsistent performances and disappointing results and he readily admits the January sales seldom provide value for money.

He confided: "Players are always more expensive at this time of year because they are usually still in contract and clubs want you to pay through the nose.

"Because clubs don''t want to lose their best players, you tend to be left with players who are not quite good enough. That''s why we''re searching far and wide."

Marshall, and to a degree - Clignan, are the only assets in cash raising terms that we own in our squad.

Croft is playing well, but would hardly bring much money in would he.

I think we could get £250k for Croft if we are lucky. Clingan is worth more but the scouts may not have picked up on him yet.

I guess we may be prepared to let Marshall go on the cheap if it means getting him off the wage bill...

Anyone who thinks January is not going to be BLEAK is living in dreamland.  

dont listen to the board.  We here this spin every window.  Roeder will have less than peanuts to spend.  Our best hope of decent cash to spend is either Green, Ashton or Lewis are sold on by their clubs

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"]The board has already announced that there will be money to SPEND.[/quote]

I think that was another tounge in cheek comment. Intended in the same vein as the "you can have as much money as you want if you keep us up" comment. I would be extremely suprised if we spent without selling in January.

[quote user="thecanaryfan"]

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"]The board has already announced that there will be money to SPEND.[/quote]

I think that was another tounge in cheek comment. Intended in the same vein as the "you can have as much money as you want if you keep us up" comment. I would be extremely suprised if we spent without selling in January.

[/quote]

No, this time it was not. There will be money to spend in Jan, but how much is anyone''s guess.

[quote user="Delia S. Tickers"][quote user="thecanaryfan"]

[/quote]

No, this time it was not. There will be money to spend in Jan, but how much is anyone''s guess.

[/quote]

Bull. And the same Bull that we have been fed time after time. It is highly UNLIKELY that we will be buying anybody in the January window. It is highly LIKELY that if anyone comes knocking with a bid of a four figure sum that we will SELL.

You lot truly are pathetic, so now the Bristol Evening News is gospel and knows the goings on about a club the complete other side of the country? Blimey you will try and come up with anything to criticise!

Foulger said there would be money, and in the current position that the board have with the fans, if that was a lie then it would be a ridiculous PR blunder.

Grow up and get a life.

Foulger is a very straight talking individual. Unlikely that he would come out with spin. If he says there will be money to spend there will be money to spend. How much of course is anyones guess.

[quote user="Soldier on"]Our best hope of decent cash to spend is either Green, Ashton or Lewis are sold on by their clubs[/quote]

Can anyone hazard a guess as to how much of any profit from the sales of these three players we might get - is it 25% or less? 

In my analysis Greeno might just make us £250K, CAshton won''t raise us any in January as he has to prove he is fit again so anyone buying him then will be gambling and that will be reflected in the price being close to what we sold him for, Lewis might also make £250K.  So £500K ain''t going to go very far.

Any of us may well have money to spend. But what can we afford? A bag of sweets or abrand new sports car? It''s still money to spend but those items are miles apart.

So City have money to spend we are told............... 

Instead of selling our best players why not cut our loses and let the following leave for free and loan players back

- Dejan (probably never play again)

- Sib (send him back)

- Chadwick (never plays/always injured)

- Lupoli (never plays)

- Lappin (same no more)

- OJ (ditto)

- Eagle (ditto)

cut the wage bill quite a bit, and they don''t do anything!

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

Instead of selling our best players why not cut our loses and let the following leave for free and loan players back

- Dejan (probably never play again)

- Sib (send him back)

- Chadwick (never plays/always injured)

- Lupoli (never plays)

- Lappin (same no more)

- OJ (ditto)

- Eagle (ditto)

cut the wage bill quite a bit, and they don''t do anything!

[/quote]Because when you let contracted players leave, you have to pay out the remainder of their contract.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]You lot truly are pathetic, so now the Bristol Evening News is gospel and knows the goings on about a club the complete other side of the country? Blimey you will try and come up with anything to criticise!

Foulger said there would be money, and in the current position that the board have with the fans, if that was a lie then it would be a ridiculous PR blunder.

Grow up and get a life.[/quote]I assume that I am not one of the people to which you refer, considering I.... and the poster before me, discredited the original post.

At a guess, I would say that we would have 3 players who could raise funds and I would not want to sell any of them. Marsh close to 2-0 mil, Croft around the 750k mark and the same with Clingfilm, infact he would be around the million mark. But we need these players.

As for guessing how much we have to spend, I would say bugger all and we all know that we have been misinformed on previous windows. But the board know that for the club and them to have some sort of peace and normality, then they will have to do everything in their power for GR to have some money. If not, they know what will happen.

Of course not SuperWes, I know you discredited it, but others are happy to go along and be happy with it. That''s why I generalised.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]Of course not SuperWes, I know you discredited it, but others are happy to go along and be happy with it. That''s why I generalised.[/quote]

Oh dear, tis that time of year again, everyone moaning at eachother, people making up little stories just for something to say and pretend to know something others don''t, We have been told Roeder will have funds to spend in January, weather its from sell on''s or the Kitty, why can''t we all just sit and wait to see what the Official site says,  or that little fly on Roeder''s wall.  

I have no idea what you are talking about pete_norw, perhaps you should read my original post in this thread, and the fact that some people are just fed up that people are jumping on the smallest things in order to criticise our club.

[quote user="Lol Morgan"]

Cash-strapped Watford, Southampton, Norwich, Charlton and Southampton are just some of the clubs who will attempt to sell players next month in an increasingly desperate attempt to cut wages.

[/quote]

So cash-strapped they were listed twice. 

I think we could get £250k for Croft if we are lucky. Clingan is worth more but the scouts may not have picked up on him yet.

I guess we may be prepared to let Marshall go on the cheap if it means getting him off the wage bill...

[/quote]haha i love it, so all the professional scouts in the country have not picked up on it but you have. riiiiiight. I would be pissed off if I was paying scouts and they didn''t know who was each club''s best performer.January will not be bleak either, clubs far worse off than us will be forced to sell. We will pick up a couple of loans and 1 maybe 2 perms. we are not in a position where we need to sell, as can be seen from the accounts, as can be seen from listening to the recent boards mumblings.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]I have no idea what you are talking about pete_norw, perhaps you should read my original post in this thread, and the fact that some people are just fed up that people are jumping on the smallest things in order to criticise our club.[/quote]

Because the club don''t deserve criticism right? ha

[quote user="Beauseant"]And the Bristol Evening Post is a reliable source of information regarding our financial position is it?[/quote]Hell no!I live in Bristol and even write articles for the Bristol Evening Post on youth football.  They can''t even get my articles right half the time (the latest being to change the sex of one of our players!!), so there''s not a hope in the world they actually know what''s really going on in East Anglia.The Evening Post has merely taken the fact that we are not exactly rolling in money, and assumed that we''ll be selling based on that.

[/quote]So can i nail you down to some predictions?

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"]Of course not SuperWes, I know you discredited it, but others are happy to go along and be happy with it. That''s why I generalised.[/quote]

Oh dear, tis that time of year again, everyone moaning at eachother, people making up little stories just for something to say and pretend to know something others don''t, We have been told Roeder will have funds to spend in January, weather its from sell on''s or the Kitty, why can''t we all just sit and wait to see what the Official site says,  or that little fly on Roeder''s wall.  

[/quote]Like ncfcstar just said somewhere above, your reply to his post was pretty damn irrelevant!

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"][quote user="pete_norw"]

[/quote]

Like ncfcstar just said somewhere above, your reply to his post was pretty damn irrelevant!
[/quote]

And I was just having a laugh too, ha ha shows how quick people are to moan lol