Sign in to follow this  
Lincs CR

David Bell for Elliot Ward?

"We all knew he was going"??? Absolute rubbish, no-one knew he was going until the statement was released that he was. Blame Roeder if you like, but Clark himself could easily be the person to blame, Roeder may have also been telling the truth you know, but he was become the fall guy for everyone''s problems now hasn''t he.

Roeder has publically stated when he made the statement about Clark not leaving, this was before Clark had told Roeder of his interest in the Huddersfield job, so how can you blame Roeder for that?

In this Bell/Ward saga, dont read into anything unless you have quotes from the horses mouth, so to speak (aka Roeder himself).

It seems someone at Coventry is being very "naughty" they were gutted to miss out on Bell in the summer and this is a deliberate attempt to unsettle him.

The word is our manager is beyond furious especially at Archant for running the story before he was asked to comment.

One thing that does worry me is a rumour ( good source) that one of the new boys  shall we say "feels misled" as to our  ability to bring in class players.  Hope its not Clingan !

[quote user="Desert Fox"][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Desert Fox"]

Shefcanary,

There are a number of ways at looking at our current position; we either score more goals, concede less goals or ideally both. But your premise that we are conceding two goals a game is inaccurate. At our current ratio of 1.57 goals conceded, we would actually win or draw virtually all our games if we could manage to socre two goals per game. Of the 23 games we have played this season, we have only conceded three goals on three occassions (Derby, Swansea and Shef Wed), so the defence has not been dire from a purely statistical perspective - even the runaway leaders are conceding 1.17 goals per game. The main area that we are failing in is goal scoring.

[/quote]Not sure this is the correct interpretation, as QPR (9th) have 8 less goals & even Brum have only scored 4 more.Of the19 teams above, only Watford have conceded more.[/quote]

Ron,

I concede that this can be interpreted either way (pint glass half full or empty scenario), but the main point I am trying to make is if we had scored an average of 2 goals per game, we would probably be top six even with our defensive record. The key factor here is three points for a win and 1 point for a draw. I have not worked through each game, but my intuition is that we gain more points by improving our scoring ratio than we do from imporving our defensive record, simply because of the points weighting for winning.

By the way, I am not saying that we should not improve the defence (and Ward would be a welcome addition), but rather our priority ought to be scoring our way of the current problem if we can only afford investment in one area. If we lose Lita, Sibieski and Cureton stays on loan, our impending first choice strike force is an unfit and unproven (in terms of whether he still has anything left to offer at this level) Cort and unrated (by our manager) Lupoli. To me this is a more desperate position than a missing centre back with Omozusi (with Clingan filling in for injuries) as replacment for Kennedy.

By the way Wharfing, it is not so obvious! Otherwise why are Wolves on 53 points having conceded 0.39 goals less than us per game.

[/quote]Cherry picking statistics doesn''t mean you understand them. Here''s a few for you too: we''re smack bang in the middle of the league for goals scored, we''re third worst for goals conceded. What do 6 of the top 9 teams have in common? - they have the 6 best defences in the league. In how many Norwich matches have we conceded the first goal? 15 In how many Wolves matches have they conceded the first goal? 9We all know the quotation about lies and statistics, but any knowledge of football will tell you that successful teams are built on their defence. It''s pretty simple.

[quote user="canarytim"]

One thing that does worry me is a rumour ( good source) that one of the new boys  shall we say "feels misled" as to our  ability to bring in class players.  Hope its not Clingan !

[/quote]

Dont be such a cock. What manager is going to undersell a club and play down prospects and ambition. And player who is dumb enough to feel ''duped'' needs a brain transplant

Durrrr

[quote user="IBA"][quote user="canarytim"]

[/quote] Dont be such a cock. What manager is going to undersell a club and play down prospects and ambition. And player who is dumb enough to feel ''duped'' needs a brain transplant Durrrr[/quote]

Do you not think the clubs financial situation has changed somewhat in recent months?  Try to keep up.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="IBA"][quote user="canarytim"]

[/quote] Dont be such a cock. What manager is going to undersell a club and play down prospects and ambition. And player who is dumb enough to feel ''duped'' needs a brain transplant Durrrr[/quote]

Do you not think the clubs financial situation has changed somewhat in recent months?  Try to keep up.

[/quote]

I would imagine every clubs financial situation has changed somewhat in recent months. Some more than others. And some may have trouble trying to keep up with us [:O]

Wharfing,

I understand statistics pretty well and I am no more cherry picking than you are. I have even acknowledged that it is a pint glass half full or empty scenario. If you read my post more carefully, I agree that the defence needs strengthening, but not at the expense of sacrificing goal scoring ability. In plainer english, this means we should be trying to get both. I am much more concerned by a first choice attack of Cort and Lupoli than I would be a centre back pairing of Docherty and Omozusi, which I assume that this concerns you less. Three points for a win is pretty critical to our survival and in imporved defence on its own will not achieve this.

[quote user="Desert Fox"]

Wharfing,

I understand statistics pretty well and I am no more cherry picking than you are. I have even acknowledged that it is a pint glass half full or empty scenario. If you read my post more carefully, I agree that the defence needs strengthening, but not at the expense of sacrificing goal scoring ability. In plainer english, this means we should be trying to get both. I am much more concerned by a first choice attack of Cort and Lupoli than I would be a centre back pairing of Docherty and Omozusi, which I assume that this concerns you less. Three points for a win is pretty critical to our survival and in imporved defence on its own will not achieve this.

[/quote]That was my point.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Do you not think the clubs financial situation has changed somewhat in recent months?  Try to keep up.

[/quote]

I''m certain it has....so what''s you point? A player has been ''duped'' or misled because of an unforeseen change in the economic fragility of the entire world?

Or is the Credit crunch all down to Delia and Roeder ??

Maybe I''ve misunderstood what you''re trying to say....... explain your point please