Sign in to follow this  
Tufnell Park Canary

Lee Hughes (West Brom)

Totally agree though isn''t a shame that w.b.a didn''t take action earlier by suspending him last season rather than have the victims family have to endure him on the t.v after all it is only football,some things are more important.

I was surprised at the length of the sentence - was expecting him to get a non-custodial sentence. If WBA knew of the facts in the case most decent people would not have expected to have seen him playing for the baggies last season

Whether right or wrong to play him, at least they have acted swiftly to terminate his contract so thank goodness for some commonsense in that.

I must admit i was surprised they stood by him from the start I know people are innocent untill proven guilty

But it did not look good from the start

It is a bit horrying though the amount of footballers who are always getting into trouble for speeding in there high power cars

I think soceity looks down on people who are lucky enough to be gifted in a top sport and throw it all

An interesting point to make would be what would WBA (or any team for that matter) have done if the player in question was a youth teamer or high wage reserve player?? I think its fair to say they would have sacked him straight away

I was also quite surprised how long it took for him to go to court?

I thought something as serious as that would of been dealt with much sooner

The British Justice system is never in a hurry to sort these sort of cases out so that the bereaved families can get on with some sort of "normal" life again.My brother was killed in an accident in June 2003 and it didnt go to court till March 2004.

Thats very sad to hear Tracey. My condolences to you and your family.
I would hope the reason cases like this take so long to reach trial is because the courts want to make sure that justice is served and all relevant evidence is heard.

Sorry to read of your loss. What is your brother''s name? If you let me know I could light a candle for him and say prays for him and your fmaily at mass. Obviously that is if you wanted me too. Also if you want your repsonse to be private, I can give you my private email address .

I''ve just been to a couple of Baggies fan sites, and can you believe some of their supporters actually believe he was hard done by, and worst, have great sympathy for him. They don''t even mention the poor relatives of the deceased.!. They give pond life a bad name, a curse and pox be upon them all.

I was listening to Megson earlier today saying that our thoughts should be with the family of the person who died (and I totally agree) I then thought what a hypocrite. Megson never gave one hoot for that family when he played Hughes in the games last season. What must that family have thought if they watched Hughes prancing around kicking people and jumping for joy when he scored. I dont suppose the football league will remove the points from WBA for the games they won when Hughes was playing that might not be justice but would send out a warning to one or two clubs.

Hang on a second, Hughes deserves everthing he gets and I think that with the possibility of him leaving after 3 years, the sentance does not seem long enough. However WBA did nothing wrong, Hughes was innocent until yesterday, and we did have the right to use him as a player. If he''s ever allowed to play when he leaves prison, that will be a disgrace, because people will know that he''s guilty.

As for the WBA fans sticking up for Hughes, I can only apologise on their behalf. The general consensus amongst 99.9% of Albion fans is that as soon as the verdict was reached Hughes should have gone straight to jail.

1st Wiz, I think you may have been refering to the way in which, some people claimed a lorry driver killed 12 and only got a £1000 fine, and community service, because he killed via reckless driving and not dangerous. Again I think the point they were trying to make (or at least what I think is) was that the lorry driver should have received a prison sentance too, not that Hughes should be given any leaway. I certainly wouldn''t have given any less time if I were a judge.

I agree with you Baggies fan. Innocent until proven guilty. Its the law of the land, and come to mention it, a pretty bloody good law.
Once the verdict was announced, West Brom acted accordingly. Can''t fault them on it.

I don''t think that anyone would argue against the "innocent until proven guilty" line of thought - but what is sticking in peoples throats is that West Brom played Hughes regardless of the incident. Given that the guy ran off after the accident (and incidentally refused to divulge where he went to...) surely that should have triggered some sort of response from his club - such as suspending him on full pay, putting him on gardening leave pending the outcome of the investigation/case - at least that way he would have been out of the limelight, some respect would have been shown to the victims and if he had be found not guilty he could have been slotted back into the playing squad with ease.

I know that a year off would have been hard for a highly trained, fit player to take - but there is no reason why he could not have continued training - playing in reserve games etc...

As usual football - and the filthy lucre that it wallows in always comes out on top - no matter what the situation...