Sign in to follow this  
Old Boy

Let's hear it for McVeigh

He''s a class act, and he''s come on a lot over the past couple of seasons. He surely realises he''s approaching a watershed in his career and feels he could and should be playing at a higher level. I just hope it''s with City. He certainly looks good playing alongside the likes of Hucks, Harper and Crouch, players with similar awareness and speed of thought, and is probably more motivated now than ever for a number of reasons. It''ll be tough to lose the loanees, but losing McVeigh would be a killer. We MUST keep him.

You couldn''t be more correct. In my opinion the best player we''ve had since Eadie in his heyday (yes, including Huckerby) and when he''s on song, he''s unplayable. Please stay little Paul, we love you...

couldn''t agree more, however I do wonder about Norwich''s contract policy. How is it that we let our players come to an end of contract when they are reaching their peak? Marshall, Kenton and now McVeigh? I don''t know whether City are frightened to commit to long term contracts but surely tying our best players in so that we can gain cash for them if they do want to leave or are approached is the way forward. We have done it with Drury, but I just think we are not on the ball often enough. I don''t know what Greeno is like contract wise but surely now is the time to offer him a better long term contract as well.

As i have posted on here before about the Mcveigh contract situation we cannot let yet another quality player leave for nothing..

Come on the board sort this situation out ASAP..

It''s that way because, like it or not, Norwich are a "feeder" club. Players know that they can get recognition here from higher places, we have a reputation for being a good training club and having good facilities. Therefore players will not re-sign big contracts because they know they can ply their trade here for a couple of seasons, hopefully get noticed, then move on to bigger and better things. McVeigh has been here for a long time too, so if he wants to move on then more power to him, he''s been brilliant for Norwich. It''s just a terrible situation if you''re a fan. But there will be more coming through - lose one McVeigh, but step forward Ryan Jarvis.

I agree with much of the above. Nevertheless, it''s not just down to the Board. Because of Bosman, players over 23 can just "sit tight" during the final year of their contract and see what options are available to them.

The Board and manager can make as many offers as they like, whenever they like, but the player doesn''t have to accept them if they don''t want to.

Like many First Division clubs, most of our players are on 3 year contracts, so any talks relating to new contracts are going to start 12 - 18 months prior to the end of the existing contracts.

I can''t honestly recall Mcveigh being made a new contract offer-as far as i can remember back!!

That is the worrying thing!!

Come on City you would have thought that we would have learnt by now i.e Kenton and scum boy..

You''re probably right, in as much nothing has been mentioned in public.

However, as has been said several times before, just because there hasn''t been an announcement, doesn''t mean that negiotations aren''t ongoing. Norwich have often stated they don''t conduct such matters as contracts or transfers via the media.

From what I''m lead to believe, Norwich do try and resolve these matters about 12 months prior to expiry of contracts, but it does take both parties to agree for a deal to be done.

I am sorry but I don''t buy the "they don''t conduct such matters as contracts or transfers via the media." statement. David Connolly, Gareth Tayor, Neil Shipperly, Alan Lee, Marlon King & Rob Hulse were just some of the names confirmed by Worthy/Doncaster before they had even made approaches. Just look at the Huckerby situation Worthy has admitted he has spoken to Man City regarding the player, Kevin Keegan-No, The board-No, It was Arthur Cox assistant manager just to let him know how he''s going. Paul Jewell has already spoken to Kevin Keegan and admitted he would like too sign him. Just because the club have not made a statement regarding McVeigh don''t for a second take it for granted they are working on it behind the scenes.

"lose one McVeigh, but step forward Ryan Jarvis".

Yes, but I want to see them in both the same team, along with Hendo and other flair players who make Mighty Mouse''s game come to life. Not much to ask :-)))

I seem to remember a lot of Man utd fans going ballistic when Eric Cantona retired and was replaced by some little local boy called Paul Scholes... football has a habit of working itself out. That''s why I won''t be going nuts if we can''t get Huckerby. Hopefully we''ll find someone else.

Smudge

You''re right regarding the names you mentioned for transfers, although it was a major shock when they came out with those statements, because that isn''t the way they usually do it.

Are you really serious regarding your final statement on McVeigh? Do you really beleive they they would just let a player walk out at the end of his contract without any negotiations? I don''t !!!