Sign in to follow this  
Chelmsford Canary

The Snakepit

The geek that I am was just reading wikipedia, and about Carrow Road. It mentions the snakepit - but says it does not know the meaning of it!

Anybody know the answer? Not that it really matters (just interested)

[quote user="Sing up the river end "]I know i was sitting in it the very first game it was opened :) My clame to fame hehe.inter at home not a bad game to start with.It wast he snake pit before Etherington i believe [/quote]sp: claim

early days we were accused of chanting nasty things in a letter to the EDP where it was said we were a "snake pit of vipers". suffice to say that had the desired effect and it stuck! the nasty thing i think was "ulf, ulf, ulf" in reference to the great ulf ottoson who graced carrow road at that time. however, to the unitiated that sounded a bit racist - hence the letter and the rest, as they say, is history.

you''ll never beat the snakepit.

[quote user="Count Chopula"]Be better off called the cockpit.

[/quote]

true. cos you control things from a cockpit.

If memory serves me correct, I recall the snakepit came to the fore during the dark dying days of the Chase regime. He''d just launched the Club''s own in house radio station, which broadcast from one of the boxes in that corner of the ground. A few dyehards decided to congrate in that corner and voice their protests to the Chase regime and it all grew from there.

[quote user="GazzaTCC"]If memory serves me correct, I recall the snakepit came to the fore during the dark dying days of the Chase regime. He''d just launched the Club''s own in house radio station, which broadcast from one of the boxes in that corner of the ground. A few dyehards decided to congrate in that corner and voice their protests to the Chase regime and it all grew from there.[/quote]

Yep, that was us [;)]. 

To another poster- the first game was Bayern Munich and i was in there as due to some cock-up the tickets were sold out whilst people were still travelling back from the away leg (i think).

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[quote user="GazzaTCC"]If memory serves me correct, I recall the snakepit came to the fore during the dark dying days of the Chase regime. He''d just launched the Club''s own in house radio station, which broadcast from one of the boxes in that corner of the ground. A few dyehards decided to congrate in that corner and voice their protests to the Chase regime and it all grew from there.[/quote]

Yep, that was us [;)]. 

To another poster- the first game was Bayern Munich and i was in there as due to some cock-up the tickets were sold out whilst people were still travelling back from the away leg (i think).

[/quote]

That was also the time that our "beloved" Robert Chase decided to allow season ticket holders to buy 3 tickets and many members and regular attenders simply didn''t get a look in for buying tickets for one of the biggest games in the Club''s history [:@]

And to think that some still think we were better off under Chase [:@]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

Yep, that was us [;)]. 

[/quote]

That''s correct Mr C  - I was also one of those who arrived back from Munich to find the tickets sold out, after a number of "lively" phone calls to the club, we were sold tickets for the Snakepit.

Sorry for being dumb, but where exactly is the snakepit? Despite living and being born in Norwich, I don''t get to attend many games. I was there on Saturday, and I sat in the corner between the River End and the Geoffrey Watling Stand - where was I then? [:P]Sorry again [:$]

Likewise GazzaTCC, I must have been very close to you then....lol

My son and I had two seats at the back which have now been taken over by stewards. Because of this we migrated back to the Barclay, but there you go. I always thought the name came from the shape of the general area, being round so to speak, but it was definitely named before the Etherington incident.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Likewise GazzaTCC, I must have been very close to you then....lol My son and I had two seats at the back which have now been taken over by stewards. Because of this we migrated back to the Barclay, but there you go. I always thought the name came from the shape of the general area, being round so to speak, but it was definitely named before the Etherington incident.[/quote]

I actually had a seat for the Munich game only a couple away from the one which became my season-ticket seat for many seasons- right next to the gangway so perfect for charging down the front when Goss volleyed in!  One of my best memories.

The name definately stemmed from a letter to the local press calling us a "pit of vipers" or something very similar.  I can`t remember whether it was in connection with the "Ulf" incident when (not for the first or last time....) City fans were disgracefully labelled racist in the national press just because someone in the press box was too deaf or thick to understand a predictable chant.  My good `ol dad actually wrote a letter to the local press complaining about his two snakepitter sons unfairly being labelled racist [Y].  Or it might have been one of our country gent supporters moaning how it just wasn`t cricket that these nasty young chaps kept giving those nice opposition substitutes such a damned frightful ribbing.......[:D]

I''ve been attending home games since the mid 90''s. The Snake pit was definitely a more intense place in my early days. Now I think it''s just an overspill from the lower Barclay. In the 90''s if someone was causing trouble it would normally be in the Snakepit, but now they seem to be only slighty more lively than the River End boys. 

Come on you Snakepit Pussies, stop resting on your history and get the attitude back. Makes it more entertaining for the rest of us!

[quote user="GazzaTCC"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

Yep, that was us [;)]. 

[/quote]

That was also the time that our "beloved" Robert Chase decided to allow season ticket holders to buy 3 tickets and many members and regular attenders simply didn''t get a look in for buying tickets for one of the biggest games in the Club''s history [:@]

And to think that some still think we were better off under Chase [:@]

[/quote]

I was having a good day until you reminded me about that. My rant at the time got quoted in the EDP/EN (even though I still managed to get a ticket).

I have a very vivid memory of being in the Barclay in the early days of the new corner stand and the Barclay singing "Steep Bit, give us a song". Because of the steeper rake of the seats you understand. I always thought that Snake pit grew out of a mishearing of "steep bit".

I''m beginning to think I am going mad.

Definately from the letter in the EDP. Its finest hour had to be getting Rtherington sent off for taking a corner outside the quadrant - hilarious

[quote user="Ciderkidd"]Sorry for being dumb, but where exactly is the snakepit? Despite living and being born in Norwich, I don''t get to attend many games. I was there on Saturday, and I sat in the corner between the River End and the Geoffrey Watling Stand - where was I then? [:P]Sorry again [:$]

[/quote]Help?

[quote user="Ciderkidd"][quote user="Ciderkidd"]Sorry for being dumb, but where exactly is the snakepit?
Despite living and being born in Norwich, I don''t get to attend many games. I was there on Saturday, and I sat in the corner between the River End and the Geoffrey Watling Stand - where was I then? [:P]
Sorry again [:$]

[/quote]
Help?
[/quote]The snakepit is the corner area to the left of the Barclay end if you were standing infront of the River end looking towards the Barclay - hope that helps

It was definitely the Andy Impy incident, to go back to the original question. I''ve sat there since the first year it opened. :o)

The glory days were with the drum, if you ask me. Easily the loudest part of the ground back then, and was for a number of seasons afterwards.

It''s true, though, that it''s not the place it used to be. Too many whingers in there now, who seem to think we should play as well as Man Utd every game. Don''t get me wrong, i''m all for the odd moan when things aren''t going well, but too many in the Snakepit these days are shirking their duties and sitting quietly all game, except when it''s time to moan. Strange how no one seems up for a shout until one of the lads puts a foot wrong.

But i guess it''s the same in most parts of the ground.

[quote user="Canary Cupcake"][quote user="Ciderkidd"][quote user="Ciderkidd"]Sorry for being dumb, but where exactly is the snakepit? Despite living and being born in Norwich, I don''t get to attend many games. I was there on Saturday, and I sat in the corner between the River End and the Geoffrey Watling Stand - where was I then? [:P]Sorry again [:$]

[/quote]Help?[/quote]The snakepit is the corner area to the left of the Barclay end if you were standing infront of the River end looking towards the Barclay - hope that helps[/quote]Cheers [Y][B]