Sign in to follow this  
Canary Poirot

Norwich Scouts - Please Read

Firstly, apologies fellow posters. This isn''t a post about sacking the present manager, organising protests against the board or venting my spleen in general. I know such posts are very popular. Hence I suspect this post to dissappear fairly quickly....

My post is primarily directed at any NCFC scouts who might happen to read these forums. On Satuday, rather then head north to follow Norwich, I joined a friend in south London to take in Millwall V Aldershot for an FA Cup 2nd Round Game. Now my posting this is because I believe this club should up its efforts in spotting and hiring lower league talent, as it is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying established Championship players, or even Premiership reserves. And reportedly we have little money to play with. As a consequence, I think there were one or two players on show in this game who I think are worth watching again, as I think they could step up to Championship level, and one in particular who I think could be a real star.

The players in question are Ashley Grimes (Millwall, aged 21, striker) and Chris Blackburn (aged 26, right back) and Anthony Straker (aged 20, left back) (both Aldershot).

Ashley Grimes came off the bench and was a real live wire, with pace, movement, and looked technically very good. He scored an excellent headed goal.

Chris Blackburn looked a very competent right back, technically sound, looks to pick a pass, and is positionally good. He looked every bit a new Mark Edworthy in the making, and certainly superior to Jon Ostembor who relies too heavily on pace.

And the real star of the show for me was the Aldershot left back Anthony Straker. This guy looks classy, pacey, technically very good, and has good positional sense. For me (and my friend), this guy could make a mark at left back in the Championship, and is well worth watching closely.

The rest looked pretty average. But it was funny watching the Millwall player Hackett play abysmally down the right wing, and then produce two sublime crosses out of nowhere which resulted in two goals. Food for thought for our Lee Croft me thinks. Croft is a much better player than Hackett, but if Croft could produce quality crosses which resulted in goals, even if only one a match, he''d be a class act.

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]

The rest looked pretty average. But it was funny watching the Millwall player Hackett play abysmally down the right wing, and then produce two sublime crosses out of nowhere which resulted in two goals. Food for thought for our Lee Croft me thinks. Croft is a much better player than Hackett, but if Croft could produce quality crosses which resulted in goals, even if only one a match, he''d be a class act.

[/quote]If thats Chris Hackett he was amazing on football manager...

It was Chris Hackett. And he is pretty woeful in real life! Very fast though. And somehow pulled two ridiculously good crosses out of absolutely no-where which resulted in goals. I wouldn''t buy him if I was the Norwich manager though on the basis of that performance!

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]It was Chris Hackett. And he is pretty woeful in real life! Very fast though. And somehow pulled two ridiculously good crosses out of absolutely no-where which resulted in goals. I wouldn''t buy him if I was the Norwich manager though on the basis of that performance![/quote]Yeah he was incredibly fast on this game, got me 26 assists in a season once. Hucks also scored 30 and I finished 3rd in the Premiership. So its obviously realistic.