Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

simon lappin..

[quote user="singing canary"]i havent heard anything about him for ages , is he still with us , in the reserves or on loan ..??[/quote]

Also see: http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/sport/commentary/FansEye.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=FansEyeView&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=FansEyeView&itemid=NOED22%20Nov%202008%2012%3A19%3A17%3A880

Lost count the number  of times I have posted in support of Lappin. If he ever gets back into the squad - which is highly unlikely - I doubt he would ever make man of the match but equally I wouldn''t expect him to be the worst on the pitch. I''m sure he''d try his damnedest to impress. Roeder seems to have written him off for his no better than average performance as LB. But as the lad always says (given the chance), he''s a midfielder not a LB. Think he played at LB for Grant when Drury was injured and before Betrand joined - and has suffered ever since. That he''s not even being considered under current circumstances - injuries and suspensions - league position - is a disgrace IMO. Roeder said he was down the pecking order behind Bertrand and Drury. Well, not many would argue with that would they? I wouldn''t play him as LB out of choice but I could see him alternating with Pattison on the left; with Bell in his preferred place on the right; or alongside Clingan in the middle. That would still leave Hoolahan to play a free role just behind Lita.

Clingan, Lappin and Pattison are all capable of creating goal chances but also defending when necessary, to take a bit of pressure off the back four. Think I would have Russell back when available with Croft and Lappin on the bench, Lappin''s role was as centre back in that Arsenal reserves match and played a big part in the win. Prior to that he had been brought on for just the last 2 minutes in the previous two games.

[quote user="Binky"]

[quote user="singing canary"]i havent heard anything about him for ages , is he still with us , in the reserves or on loan ..??[/quote]

Also see: http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/sport/commentary/FansEye.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=FansEyeView&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=FansEyeView&itemid=NOED22%20Nov%202008%2012%3A19%3A17%3A880

Lost count the number  of times I have posted in support of Lappin. If he ever gets back into the squad - which is highly unlikely - I doubt he would ever make man of the match but equally I wouldn''t expect him to be the worst on the pitch. I''m sure he''d try his damnedest to impress. Roeder seems to have written him off for his no better than average performance as LB. But as the lad always says (given the chance), he''s a midfielder not a LB. Think he played at LB for Grant when Drury was injured and before Betrand joined - and has suffered ever since. That he''s not even being considered under current circumstances - injuries and suspensions - league position - is a disgrace IMO. Roeder said he was down the pecking order behind Bertrand and Drury. Well, not many would argue with that would they? I wouldn''t play him as LB out of choice but I could see him alternating with Pattison on the left; with Bell in his preferred place on the right; or alongside Clingan in the middle. That would still leave Hoolahan to play a free role just behind Lita.

Clingan, Lappin and Pattison are all capable of creating goal chances but also defending when necessary, to take a bit of pressure off the back four. Think I would have Russell back when available with Croft and Lappin on the bench, Lappin''s role was as centre back in that Arsenal reserves match and played a big part in the win. Prior to that he had been brought on for just the last 2 minutes in the previous two games.

[/quote]

Can''t agree more

How often does a first-team professional, well paid football get demoted to the reserves (unfairly IMO) and still play regularly, and, appears to still put in 100% and fight for a place he knows theres a very slim chance of him ever achieving.He deserves a place just on this, i believe.

didn''t it happen with Mifsud at Coventry, fell out with Coleman who actually said he wont play for them again, sorted it out now back in the team,

[quote user="Largey"]This FK against Luton more than makes up for the Plymouth match.[/quote]

Agree 100% Largey - but Roeder has said too much ever to let him play even if we had only 10 other fit men. Just imagine if he picked him and he played a blinder - or worse, scored a (winning) goal. Roeder would then look very foolish unless he ate humble pie. He''s not about to do either anytime soon is he?

Sorry I''m with Roeder on this one!

Granted he''s not the worst player I''ve seen in Yellow and Green - he reminds me a lot of Clint Easton but without the strength! But come on it''s hardly like we have Lionel Messi but we''re not playing him.

There are a lot of things to get a roeder for - his dealing with the media, our inconsistent form etc... but Simon Lappin I don''t think is something he''s got very wrong

Lappin is good enough to get into our team and has been treated like sh1t by Roeder who wont let him leave unless we get a fee , well if hes as bad as Roeder makes out why not let the lad move for free and get his career back on track ? after all he let a few of Grants signings walk away for free so why not Lappin .

He isnt going to set the world alight if he played, but I think the point is, he deserves another chance in the team.

We are 21st in the Championship, and Lappin played a blinder (so I heard) in the reserves. Isnt the point of reserve team football, to keep the fringe players fit whilst getting some football under their belt, impressive performances leading to a chance in the first team?

We''re not in a position to rule anyone out from getting a chance.

Lappin is a better player than Easton - better distribution, sweet left foot, better defensively. Put him in the sqaud Glenn

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

Sorry I''m with Roeder on this one!

Granted he''s not the worst player I''ve seen in Yellow and Green - he reminds me a lot of Clint Easton but without the strength!

There are a lot of things to get a roeder for - his dealing with the media, our inconsistent form etc... but Simon Lappin I don''t think is something he''s got very wrong

[/quote]

How long since you''ve seen him play Ulf? Can you recall him playing midfield as opposed to full back? More to the point, can Roeder? Comparing Lappin with Easton is a joke: Easton could sometimes have a good game and like Pattison was usually prepared to give it a go - but Lappin can actually play football - as can Roeder''s signings Bell, Clingan and Hoolahan. Until Bell arrived we had no-one who could deliver a good free kick or corner as Lappin can. But even if he''s rubbish and Roeder thinks he''s rubbish; Roeder has still got it very wrong for not even allowing the player to prove him right or wrong either way. If we had a huge squad or were getting results then fair enough - but we haven''t and there is no sensible reason for refusing even to consider using a player like Lappin.