Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

we need a leader, or bye bye championship

after the wednesday game i now firmly believe we are going to get relegated and im having sleepness nights about the potenial thrashing we will get on sunday. We are showing all the syptoms of a team destined for the drop most notibly not being able to win when being in front and in control of a game. too many times this season we have dominated teams and got beat, and this is mainly down to the players mentality, they dont believe they are going to win and i cant see this thought being eradicated from there heads.

i think the main issue is leadership, with a team of new players they need a leader to help them gel. i noticed on saturday after sheff wed had equalised that every norwich player stood in the area looking at each other as if to say "here we go again, what the hell do we do" this is where we need a dion dublin type leader to march up to them and give them a kick up the arse and to motivate them, but we dont have that and as a result quickly conceded a second, exactly like swansea at home.

so what roeder must do in january is forget "technically gifted loan players from arsenal etc"  and bring in a midfielder with good motivational and leadership qualities and give him the armband. we have no captain in our team at present and if this doesnt change we will go down.

if this happens then we have enough quality in the team, and with the right on the pitch leadership we will get out of this mess.

if anyone agrees, any suggestion to who this player could be?

yeah - agreed - loadsa players looking round at each other - ''who me???'' in denial that cheap and easy goals conceded again...when wednesday turned the heat on second half - we had no fight, no bottle, no contesting - and we were winning???come on - defending a lead away from home, you expect 110% from the players cos they all knew wednesday would come out fighting after a laws tongue lashing...we''re meant to be fit, but where was the determined closing down and taking the game by the scruff of the neck???the body language and omens from the players are not good - they are better than that, but when the rot sets in, its difficult to shake off,,,you only need to look at the quality of the squad leeds had (on paper) when they were relegated to league 1...they should never had gone down - but footy is more than that - there''s team spirit and getting the players to be brave and give their all, even when they''re hurting...getting a leader on the pitch is a good suggestion - but for my money, is the manager showing the right sort of leadership to the players??? debateable imo...

Agreed. Don''t see any signs of any leadership from any of the players though.

Doherty is perhaps the only one - although not sure the other players would respect him as much due to his ''old fashioned'' style of football.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]yeah - agreed - loadsa players looking round at each other - ''who me???'' in denial that cheap and easy goals conceded again...

when wednesday turned the heat on second half - we had no fight, no bottle, no contesting - and we were winning???

come on - defending a lead away from home, you expect 110% from the players cos they all knew wednesday would come out fighting after a laws tongue lashing...

we''re meant to be fit, but where was the determined closing down and taking the game by the scruff of the neck???

the body language and omens from the players are not good - they are better than that, but when the rot sets in, its difficult to shake off,,,

you only need to look at the quality of the squad leeds had (on paper) when they were relegated to league 1...they should never had gone down - but footy is more than that - there''s team spirit and getting the players to be brave and give their all, even when they''re hurting...

getting a leader on the pitch is a good suggestion - but for my money, is the manager showing the right sort of leadership to the players??? debateable imo...

[/quote]

to be fair to roeder though there is only so much a manager can relay from the sidelines, he needs a player to motivate on the pitch which we just havnt got.

its like the wes hoolahan situation rightly or wrongly he got a ear full from roeder about one performance and that dramatically effected his performances, you can gurantee if dublin was around he would have put his arm around wes on the pitch and explain why he had an earfull and look after him on the pitch, and ultimately not lost his confidence. players need a respectable player on the pitch that they can talk to away from the manager

[quote user="always yella"]

what a load of rubbish. fozzy is our leader and should start everyweek

[/quote]

R U on dope, drunk,...? Fozzy a leader? No wonder we''re in this mess...!

[quote user="ROBFLECK"][quote user="always yella"]

[/quote]

R U on dope, drunk,...? Fozzy a leader? No wonder we''re in this mess...!

[/quote]

no im currentley on your missuss

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]yeah - agreed - loadsa players looking round at each other - ''who me???'' in denial that cheap and easy goals conceded again...when wednesday turned the heat on second half - we had no fight, no bottle, no contesting - and we were winning???come on - defending a lead away from home, you expect 110% from the players cos they all knew wednesday would come out fighting after a laws tongue lashing...we''re meant to be fit, but where was the determined closing down and taking the game by the scruff of the neck???the body language and omens from the players are not good - they are better than that, but when the rot sets in, its difficult to shake off,,,you only need to look at the quality of the squad leeds had (on paper) when they were relegated to league 1...they should never had gone down - but footy is more than that - there''s team spirit and getting the players to be brave and give their all, even when they''re hurting...getting a leader on the pitch is a good suggestion - but for my money, is the manager showing the right sort of leadership to the players??? debateable imo...

[/quote]

to be fair to roeder though there is only so much a manager can relay from the sidelines, he needs a player to motivate on the pitch which we just havnt got.

its like the wes hoolahan situation rightly or wrongly he got a ear full from roeder about one performance and that dramatically effected his performances, you can gurantee if dublin was around he would have put his arm around wes on the pitch and explain why he had an earfull and look after him on the pitch, and ultimately not lost his confidence. players need a respectable player on the pitch that they can talk to away from the manager

[/quote]i think what you''re talking about there LC, is having an old head in the dressing room - like dubs - who can give comfort and advice to younger players - but also if roedy is hard cop, then his no2. must be a soft cop - able to reassure the players, like steve foley used to be - i dunno how lee clark rates in this regard...as for a leader on the pitch - i don''t see any one player who could do this job at the mo - theres a general lack of confidence in the squad at the mo - that only a run of good results will put right imo...

I made the leadership point early in the season in a thread calkled something like Thoughts of a Sage.  I had spoken to a top leadership coach who said that the loan strategy was a good one if there were leaders to take the youngsters forward.

Otherwise, the plane would fail.

There was some sensible discussion and some derision.  Hate to say it to the deriders but he told us so.

Must admit, I thought Stefanovic was signed for that role but not really worked out there unhappily.

What about Kennedy?

I thought that Stefanovic would have been given a go as he seem to sort the defence out well.

I believe if we do get a leader they need to be at the back of the team (i.e. defender or Def Mid)

Don''t think Marshall is up for it.

What about this kid from newcastle that is the reserves captain? Centre Back?

[quote user="always yella"]

[/quote]

You really need to stop taking magic mushrooms, they are making you see things that aren''t there, like Fozzy being any good at anything football related. [:)]

[quote user="Lord Snooty "]Martin Taylor was the one for me. I wonder how he is getting on at Brum.[/quote]yeah - spot on LS - i posted the other day about how expensive our decision not to sign this ''overvalued'' player looks now...no replies though///[:$][:O][:''(]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Lord Snooty "]Martin Taylor was the one for me. I wonder how he is getting on at Brum.[/quote]

yeah - spot on LS - i posted the other day about how expensive our decision not to sign this ''overvalued'' player looks now...no replies though///[:$][:O][:''(]
[/quote]

I obviously wasn''t around otherwise I would have responded. Too many bad decisions re players in and out such as this over the years, not just in Roeder''s reign. For me, they started when we were promoted, kicking out our two talismen Malky and Iwan. What a breathtakingly bad mistake that was. Not buying Crook when we had the chance. More recently letting Joe Lewis, Shacks and Hucks go.

[quote user="Lord Snooty "]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Lord Snooty "]Martin Taylor was the one for me. I wonder how he is getting on at Brum.[/quote]

yeah - spot on LS - i posted the other day about how expensive our decision not to sign this ''overvalued'' player looks now...no replies though///[:$][:O][:''(]
[/quote]

I obviously wasn''t around otherwise I would have responded. Too many bad decisions re players in and out such as this over the years, not just in Roeder''s reign. For me, they started when we were promoted, kicking out our two talismen Malky and Iwan. What a breathtakingly bad mistake that was. Not buying Crook when we had the chance. More recently letting Joe Lewis, Shacks and Hucks go.

[/quote]

Sorry, I meant Crouch of course ! Crook was another era, showing my age.

[quote user="Lord Snooty "]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Lord Snooty "]Martin Taylor was the one for me. I wonder how he is getting on at Brum.[/quote]yeah - spot on LS - i posted the other day about how expensive our decision not to sign this ''overvalued'' player looks now...no replies though///[:$][:O][:''(][/quote]

[/quote]yep - these brave man mountains are hard to come by,,,the worth only realised when they leave...

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

after the wednesday game i now firmly believe we are going to get relegated and im having sleepness nights about the potenial thrashing we will get on sunday. We are showing all the syptoms of a team destined for the drop most notibly not being able to win when being in front and in control of a game. too many times this season we have dominated teams and got beat, and this is mainly down to the players mentality, they dont believe they are going to win and i cant see this thought being eradicated from there heads.

i think the main issue is leadership, with a team of new players they need a leader to help them gel. i noticed on saturday after sheff wed had equalised that every norwich player stood in the area looking at each other as if to say "here we go again, what the hell do we do" this is where we need a dion dublin type leader to march up to them and give them a kick up the arse and to motivate them, but we dont have that and as a result quickly conceded a second, exactly like swansea at home.

so what roeder must do in january is forget "technically gifted loan players from arsenal etc"  and bring in a midfielder with good motivational and leadership qualities and give him the armband. we have no captain in our team at present and if this doesnt change we will go down.

if this happens then we have enough quality in the team, and with the right on the pitch leadership we will get out of this mess.

if anyone agrees, any suggestion to who this player could be?

[/quote]

We need players who are good enough now - Not young Premiership reserves who might make the grade in the future!

Oh and a manager who makes the right moves!

I fear things will only improve when Roedernowhere is gone!

Agree with most of your post though!