Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

prem chute payments are anti-competitive and should be withdrawn from next season???

beau spotted this link (posted on another thread)...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/dec/03/championship-credit-crunch-recession

essentially the derby chairman is proposing a player salary cap - cos its clear many champs clubs are struggling in the downturn, and that players wages are too high...

yeah, great - another artificial device to manipulate the market - but which is fraught with problems e.g who sets the cap??? won''t promising players in league 1 go straight to the prem instead??? etc...

wouldn''t it be better to scrap the most damaging bar to a free and fair champs playing field - the prem chute payments???because as well as enjoying the riches of £40m plus sky money, relegated clubs by way of compo get rewarded with £7m for 2 seasons??? this has always bugged me, cos it unfairly distorts the competitiveness of the champs league...

imo - effectively, in order for the rest of the champs clubs to compete with the relegated clubs, it takes rich owners with cash to speculatively invest in their teams,,,and so we''ve seen the demise of traditonal run clubs like NCFC - esepcially as the prem has grown to become the richest league in world footy...

so - rather than the derby chairman proposing a cap on players wages generally in the champs - i believe parity could be restored in the champs by banning the chute payments...and simply, it could be written into players contracts that in the even of relelgation, they would be renumerated at a lower rate, or of the relegated club preferrred, at prem rates, if the board of these clubs could stomach it...i mean, wasn''t it worthy who recommended to the board that the relegated city players retained prem wages???

but i prefer this,,,

that promoted clubs receive a promotion bonus of £8-10m - that they could spend in their first prem season, to put them on a fairer footing with other established prem clubs who have enjoyed the benefits of prem money the previous season before them,,,

in this way, you get a fairer prem, where newly promoted clubs could compete better with clubs already in the prem, and that relegated clubs would effectively start as scratch with other champs clubs- on a fairer and equal footing...

a level playing field between the prem and the champs...

opinions please???

Lucky Green Trainers,

Cant diasgree with anything you have said. However, turkeys are not going to vote for Christmas. The richer CCC clubs will vote against a cap and will certainly not want to diminsh the reward of being in the Prem, including the paarchute payments. For example, can you see Wolves, Birmingham and Reading voting for this? Equally, the likes of WBA and Blackburn are hardly going to play ball either. I am not sure what the League voting rules are, but I would imaging that the majority could not force this rule change on a dissenting minority. If eanything this would hasten the advent of a Prem 2nd dvision.

[quote user="Desert Fox"]

Lucky Green Trainers,

Cant diasgree with anything you have said. However, turkeys are not going to vote for Christmas. The richer CCC clubs will vote against a cap and will certainly not want to diminsh the reward of being in the Prem, including the paarchute payments. For example, can you see Wolves, Birmingham and Reading voting for this? Equally, the likes of WBA and Blackburn are hardly going to play ball either. I am not sure what the League voting rules are, but I would imaging that the majority could not force this rule change on a dissenting minority. If eanything this would hasten the advent of a Prem 2nd dvision.

[/quote]sure DF - and in the good times, radical change is always frowned upon, because as you say, self-interest will rule - even if it is unfair and gives an uncompetitive advantage to some...so agreed, i can''t see clubs with an advantage voting to lose it...but equally, the derby chairmans proposal is simply another artificial rule, thats only necessary, cos the original prem/champs design is in my view inherently flawed...surely it would be better to scrap the rules and start afresh in such a way that makes both leagues fairer and thus more competitive - by providing an artifical bonus that helps newly promoted prem clubs compete better with their more established rivals, while the removal of prem chute money leaves champs clubs on a more equal, and therefore more competitive footing with each other...because, what other options are there, that the self interested minority simple stand by a watch as upto 5 champs clubs go bust - or very nearly???  what glory is there in this approach??? and surely, if mutually benefical changes (for the good of footy in general) cannot be voted through in such extraordinary economic conditions - then probably they would never be...in my view, the challenging times we find ourselves in, is the best time to address some the flaws that arose when the prem and champs were created, rather than botch up the bodge, change the rules of an unfair game!!!but yeah, agreed DF - its highly unlikely the duffers at the FA, the ''free marketeer sky TV (yeah right)'' the footy league, or self-interested clubs would ever vote for my proposals>>>or maybe, only if it made perfect sense...if the footy in general became unviable,,,and hopefully the recession won''t be taking us that far!!!