Sign in to follow this  
0ridgemanddMMyyyy0Falseen-USTrue

Don Howe helps Ipswich

Roeder is a football management genius.

Probably the best in the business.

He needs no help.

Who could possibly improve him?

[quote user="ridgeman"]

I thought it was interesting to see that Magilton has asked Don Howe''s advice on how to tighten up their defence they have conceeded 20 goals.

Why hasn''t Roeder taken the same option we have leaked 32 goals or is that Roeder knows everything already.

[/quote]

If a manager like Magilton needs to ask an old man like Don Howe how to tighten up his defence he must be a very sh!te manager.

No disrespects to Don Howe but it is like asking Henry T Ford to design a Formula One racing car. Different era, different ways.

"If a manager like Magilton needs to ask an old man like Don Howe how to tighten up his defence he must be a very sh!te manager.

No disrespects to Don Howe but it is like asking Henry T Ford to design a Formula One racing car. Different era, different ways."

That is the stupidest thing I have ever read.

Don Howe is a master tactician, doesn''t matter in the slightest how old he is or how long ago he last coached, the man can organise a defence better than Magilton or Roeder ever will.

The fundamentals of the game haven''t changed and hopefully never will.

The more I think about it the more stupid your comments seem. Please retract them!

[quote user="ridgeman"]

I thought it was interesting to see that Magilton has asked Don Howe''s advice on how to tighten up their defence they have conceeded 20 goals.

Why hasn''t Roeder taken the same option we have leaked 32 goals or is that Roeder knows everything already.

[/quote]

To be fair Ridge, can you imagine the comments if we did get Don Howe in?       " Roeders so sh*te he needs a pensioner to advise him, etc, etc...."

[quote user="Fuglestad"] ......the man can organise a defence better than Magilton or Roeder ever will.[/quote]

Perhaps you would like to retract that? Unless you have a time-machine of course?

There is only one thing I do not understand on this one. The papers are suggesting that it is for this game only. Howe is a legend but it cant say much about a manager and his team if he has to get help in to inspire his players for a local derby!On top of that I actually think they would be better off signing him as a player! I wonder what he makes of the situation with Bruce?!!

I have read several accounts by people such as Stuart Pearce, Brian Clough and Bobby Robson that Don Howe is widely regarded as a brilliant coach, in particular organising at the back. Obviously you all know better having seen him coaching. I am also sure that if Don Howe wanted a coaching job he would have one. He is retired but helping out Ipswich, presumably as a favour. He is not an employee of the club.I hereby retract my statement that Howe is a better defensive coach than Roeder or Magilton will ever be, as my time machine is still in it''s early stages of development. I still think what you said is ignorant and ill-informed. This attitude many seem to have that you suddenly become rubbish when you retire, and that years of experience count for nothing because "the game has changed" is b*llocks. In what way has the game changed for a defensive coach since Don Howe was working for England? The principles are the same. Also maybe I''m missing something but, how is it a contradiction to say that what you wrote was stupid and that Don Howe is a master tactitian? Please explain this, and your opinion that he is not a very good coach because he has retired.

You say that what I wrote was stupid and then, in the very next line, come out with a daft comment like "Don Howe is a master tactitian". He is an old man now at the tender age of 73. He is almost certainly a hit with the ladies at the local bingo hall. He is a master tactition at Sudoku I would guess but the days of playing football with a laced up ball in rugby boots are now behind us.

It is a shame because I would rather it be like it was back then but the fact is that the game has changed a hell of a lot since then. I suppose heading,tackling etc doesnt change but dont forgat that Don Howe played in the era when you punched the goalkeeper into the back of the net and the goal stood.

Apologies for having an opinion that differs to yours.

Don Howe certainly was a highly respected coach at the highest level for many years. His methods were very defence orientated and he was probably the architect of the famous "1-0 to the Arsenal" days. He was also the coach under Bobby Gould when Wimbledon won the FA Cup. His teams were never particularly good to watch but he was a succesfull coach none the less. He coached the Arsenal double winning side under Bertie Mee in 1971 and the best thing to come out of that was one of my favourite "terrace tunes" - "Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankleeeee..........

This thread sums up the mood on this message board at the moment. Why turn Magiltons shortcomings on to Glen Roeder? It''s not surprising "Mad Madge" needs to seek advice on how to manage his team. He went to bed one night a player and woke up the next morning a Championship manager! If it had been Roeder who had done this he would have been laughed out of Carrow Road.

As I''m sure you well know I am not talking about Don Howe as a footballer but as a coach.

I asked if defensive strategy had changed a great deal since Don Howe was a coach, I made no comments or judgement on him as a player. Mostly as I have no idea what he was like as a player. Just as you clearly have no idea what he was like as a coach.

There is no need to apologise for having a differing opinion to mine. However I believe that football in terms of tactics is essentially the same as it was when Don Howe was coaching. Your analogy of Henry Ford and Formula 1 was and still is ridiculous because football is essentially the same, cars aren''t.

I would still like you to tell me how football has changed since Howe''s coaching days apart from it being faster.

The fact that Howe is now 73 (well done for taking the time to look that up by the way) is irrelevant and making jokes about bingo and sudoku does little to back up your claims.

What you wrote was stupid and Don Howe is considered by many professionals to be a "master tactician".

Still waiting....

And I am sure of professionals that think he is a 73 year old Suduko playing, bingo loving old boy who would be better off advertising Werthers Original than coaching players less able bodied than himself.

At the end of the day, I am having a laugh and you are getting all wound up. Bring on Ipswich and their old coach.

Okay, so you''re having a laugh, and I''m getting wound up. That''s not much of a justification for what I maintain was a stupid comment. So far your justification has been simply mocking old people, can you please just admit that Don Howe is a very good and well respected coach?

I do indeed hate the fact that we have Aviva plastered over the back of our shirts and my experiences with some of Norwich Union''s management have led me to dislike the company.

I simply said I hate Norwich Union, in no way am I doubting their ability as insurers.

[quote user="Fuglestad"]

Okay, so you''re having a laugh, and I''m getting wound up. can you please just admit that Don Howe is a very good and well respected coach?

[/quote]

Oh go on then, It is the season of goodwill. Don Howe is a very good and well respected coach.

Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to you.