Sign in to follow this  
Yellow since 1977

Worst trouble at an Ipswich match

I have two instances both in Ipswich during the 80''s. A mate had hired a coach and there was a bus full of us and on the way home some Ipswich fans had pressed the button on a zebra crossing. The coach had to stop and the Ipswich fans then bricked the coach. The driver had not closed the door in our hurry to get away from the ground and a couple of bricks came in the coach. Luckily the driver didn''t get hit.

Second time was travelling from ipswich on the train and it was bricked from an embankment not far out of Ipswich station, it may have been the night we won 3-2 and Martin O''Neil scored.

Not seen too many fights though.

[quote user="Yellow since 1977"]

I have two instances both in Ipswich during the 80''s. A mate had hired a coach and there was a bus full of us and on the way home some Ipswich fans had pressed the button on a zebra crossing. The coach had to stop and the Ipswich fans then bricked the coach. The driver had not closed the door in our hurry to get away from the ground and a couple of bricks came in the coach. Luckily the driver didn''t get hit.

Second time was travelling from ipswich on the train and it was bricked from an embankment not far out of Ipswich station, it may have been the night we won 3-2 and Martin O''Neil scored.

[/quote]

Can''t remember what year it was exactly, but work was being done on the stands, the scum were in the away area, we always sit in the lower barclay, but because the toilets weren''t finished in the LB there were porta loo''s between the scum and us, our fans managed somehow to clamber on the loos and get access to the scum fans.

There were mass fights on the pathways near the pitch, even the poor old guy who used to serve drinks from a trolley got pushed and shoved.

Police descended from everywhere, along with the stewards, and all I can remember is being punched by a policeman and being herded towards where the old brick building which the police used by a group of lads that saw what was happeing to me.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Yellow since 1977"]

[/quote]

Can''t remember what year it was exactly, but work was being done on the stands, the scum were in the away area, we always sit in the lower barclay, but because the toilets weren''t finished in the LB there were porta loo''s between the scum and us, our fans managed somehow to clamber on the loos and get access to the scum fans.

There were mass fights on the pathways near the pitch, even the poor old guy who used to serve drinks from a trolley got pushed and shoved.

Police descended from everywhere, along with the stewards, and all I can remember is being punched by a policeman and being herded towards where the old brick building which the police used by a group of lads that saw what was happeing to me.

[/quote]

Can''t remember that as I can''t think of any major trouble in the ground since the Barclay was all seater. There were a few scuffles in that corner after the 2-0 defeat at carrow Road the first year we played them in the prem when Dozzell''s brother ran on the pitch and put a bobble hat on his head after the sc*m had scored their Second goal.

There was quite a bit of trouble before those Friday evening games when they used to be shown on sky. Worst actuall serious fighting i can recall witnessing though was a hospital cup game. Would probably have been late 80''s although can''t really remember the year. Can''t have been more than about 12,000 there but most of them seemed to be up for it. i was only about 8 or 9 but remember walking back up towards the station afterwards and it was kicking off all over the place.

The 70''s were the worst by far...we had many a rumble in the North Stand. I also remember one year the wooden flooring was ripped up in the Churchman stand and set alight. The train station was also fun, running battles on the platform. The Ipswich lads never had a prayer...

Please note I am now a sensible human being, we all have our skeletons...

One game i remember, early to mid 90''s when at half time everyone was kicking the glass in and showering people in the street down below. £ 50,000 worth of damage done that game. And the toilets were ripped off the wall. At the same time trying to break through the doors in the bar and get in the scum section only to be greated with some angry looking old bill with batons whacking us everywhere.

Also the game when gunny missed the backpass from ullathorne. They ran on the pitch, because we were all upstairs we couldnt get to them so seats were being ripped up and thrown on the pitch along with coins and all sorts. ( If we were lower tier they wouldnt of come on the pitch ).

At the end of that game, all the Norwich boys grouped up in the stand and ran down the stairs into the street and starting whacking scum all over the place. Was loads of fighting all the way back to the station.

Rather too many incidents to document, and I would not want to incriminate myself on here. By far the worse violence I have ever seen at a football match was Millwall v Ipswich in 1978 (F.A Cup Quarter Final). I was staying with a friend at South Bank Poly, and asked a Millwall fan to introduce me the infamous F troop ( i was an enthusiastic sociology student in those days - participant observation etc) . I stood next to them during the game, and watched aghast as the rest of the ground terrorised the Gippeswyk away following, the majority were literally run out of the ground. It is the only time I have seen the Police given a hard time as fans ran on the pitch. F Troop merely watched and occasionally egged on the infantry. Bobby Robson later said that he would of liked to see ''flame throwers'' used on the mob!  I have to admit I admired the players for sticking to the task, and even the beleagued fans who were confronted by something akin to a war zone that day. 

[quote user="mockystickwell"]When I got my willy caught in my zip against charlton 86 playoffs (i think)! Family enclosure toilets! I was only 6[/quote]

Lol! At last we''ve got a decent scummer on here!

[quote user="corbs"]Rather too many incidents to document, and I would not want to incriminate myself on here. By far the worse violence I have ever seen at a football match was Millwall v Ipswich in 1978 (F.A Cup Quarter Final). I was staying with a friend at South Bank Poly, and asked a Millwall fan to introduce me the infamous F troop ( i was an enthusiastic sociology student in those days - participant observation etc) . I stood next to them during the game, and watched aghast as the rest of the ground terrorised the Gippeswyk away following, the majority were literally run out of the ground. It is the only time I have seen the Police given a hard time as fans ran on the pitch. F Troop merely watched and occasionally egged on the infantry. Bobby Robson later said that he would of liked to see ''flame throwers'' used on the mob!  I have to admit I admired the players for sticking to the task, and even the beleagued fans who were confronted by something akin to a war zone that day. [/quote]

As an amusing foot note to that I worked with a bloke (Binner) who was there that day, it was as you say a bad day out for their supporters.

After the game they got chased down the Old Kent Road to New Cross Gate station and in their bid to escape crossed the train tracks only to get knicked by the Plod and arrested for crossing the railway tracks.

Happy days!

I remember the ''85 Milk Cup semi final 2nd leg, watching the Barclay from my seat in the main stand as a ten year old.  Ipswich fans were climbing up the fence at the front of the stand, walking along the top and jumping in to the Norwich section, fists and boots flying.  Jesus, it was insane.  I remember driving past the Woolpack pub after the game and a pub bench had been thrown through the window and a load of battered looking blokes covered in blood were staggering around outside.  Nasty.  As an adult, the worst aggro I remember was at the Friday night game at Portman Rd in 1997.  After the game (which we lost 2-0) we were held outside the ground for a bit, which just enabled the scummers to "mob up".  When we were finally marched towards the train station, from round a corner halfway up the  road came a gaggle of scum (I believe thats the correct collective term) with pieces of wood, and proceded to "piss in" to the Norwich supporters.  The Norwich fans put up a good fight though.  The worst bit was when a policeman went in with a truncheon, missed his intended target and fell to the ground, and proceeded to receive a kick in from the Ipswich and Norwich fans.  It made me feel sick.

Having never beeen at a derby game, I wasent sure was there really that much trouble at them or is it all just a bit of banter? It seems a lot of trouble, and does this mostly come from the scum?? or is there some home element too? just curious

I read a book once a fans guide to visiting grounds and it said for both us and them " among the friendliest grounds to visit , but for the local derbys the extra police presence is much needed as the air turns nasty "

I believe it is both sides that are as bad as each other , having been to both grounds in the 80''s it kicked off at both and badly

[quote user="Irish canary"]Having never beeen at a derby game, I wasent sure was there really that much trouble at them or is it all just a bit of banter? It seems a lot of trouble, and does this mostly come from the scum?? or is there some home element too? just curious[/quote]

Pretty much 50/50 to be honest. Not been much trouble in recent years due to the early kick-offs, it being hard to get tickets for the away games and the police excort to and from the trains. In the days when we used to be able to have a few drinks in ipswich pre-game you always had to have your wits about you and there would always be some trouble Same when they came to Carrow Road.

I think the Churchman incident was in 1974 when we drew 1-1 (Phil Boyer with his first goal for City). I can remember Norwich fans waving bits of wood and dancing around to ''Rebel, rebel'' at halftime.Happy days!