Sign in to follow this  
Ayrton Twigge

Europe is possible

I''ve woken up feeling super confident.Yes of course we''ll stay up.

But it''s occurred to me that a European place is a possibility. Why?

Cup competitions. - We should now do better given the quality and depth of the squad and the likelihood that the superteams will field less than full strength squads themselves. The playing field has evened out. Cup games may be a welcome relief from the Premiership pressure and we could thrive. A relaxed City team is a confident team.

Intertoto cup. As I recall, this competition admits teams who finish down the leagues outside of the usual european qualifying slots. Leads onto a potential EUFA cup place. As I recall, one qualifying route is team discipline. Now thats another avenue that we could excel in - our disciplinary record is good - could be one of the best amongst the petulance often seen in the premiership.

Roll on Saturday!!

But we''re crap in cup competitions! We had a few freak runs over the years, but mainly it''s third round exits (or first round when we had to play them!).

I like your confidence, but Europe is not a possibility - we are indeed, terrible in the cups. I would love to see a good FA cup run.

At least this season we won''t crash out of the league cup (in whatever guise) in the first round as we are defaulted to the 3rd round!

Come on guys, my European suggestion was a little it of positive thinking intended to say - now we''ve now got a squad to be proud of, enough quality to stay up.

Your responses are all negative.

We never do well in the cup.
We shouldn''t get side tracked.

Come on, where''s your pride - we''re no longer a Nationwide team with limited resources - we''re a Premiership team (with slightly less limited resources) who wil surprise.

UEFA cup entry by being top of the ''Fair Play'' league? I think Man City got in this way last season.. and I seem to recall our disiplinary record being pretty good.

Had to pipe up on this one;

So, if given the choice to stay up trophyless, or Get relegated winning the FA cup, what would you take?

If we do get into Europe it will be through doing well in the league or winning one of the cups, unlikely i feel. As for the intertoto cup / fair play route, although this is a possiblity, with the intertoto you will be playing 8 games or so just to get into the first round of the Eufa cup. Last season there were no English teams entered due to the fact that preparations for the new season will be messed up by having to travel to places in the middle of nowhere to play crappy qualifying games. As for the fair play league, you get entered into a 8 team draw, where only 2 get put into the first round proper. Need a fair bit of luck i feel

I''d be perfectly happy to concentrate on the league! The 2nd round of the Carling Cup and 3rd round of the FA cup is good enough for me! Although I absolutely love the magic of the FA cup, I feel we will have bigger fish to fry next year. Bring on the fait playleague!

Keep the faith