Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

LETTER TO CHAIRMAN SENT 03/12/2008 BY CONCERNED SUPPORTER

[quote user="porkyp"]Hi JUDGE
                   some really good points there, and I totally realise that the demise, especially in the last few years, has to be laid at the Board''s door. I''m sure we all recall Doncaster''s prudence with ambition remarks when we struck gold and entered the premiership. Without doubt, this was the beginning of the decline.... a little more forethought there may not have seen us where we are today.
It does make me angry that at that time, Delia, MWJ and the rest jumped on the bandwagon and shouted their prowess and success from the rooftops, but we all know success is consistency, built on strong foundations, and yet when the going gets tough, we hear very little from them, other than that the club is ''For sale''
However, the day to day running of the Football side of this club is down to Glen Roeder and his staff. I have to say that when the appointment was made, I was not disappointed. He is a strong character, well thought of by other managers/coaches, who I thought could do well here, (if his track record was  bit shaky)
I do have contacts in the North East, and he was well thought of at Newcastle, after all, he saved them from relegation.......but similarly to here at NCFC he could not carry that on.
A manager can only be judged on performances, and there is no doubt that here the buck stops with him. we have witnessed ONE good performance this season, against Wolves. The stats do not lie, his record is very nearly the same as Peter GRANT''s, over a very similar timescale, and the board chose to firstly warn this manager that results had to improve, and they didn''t.....the rest is history.......
I appreciate that to get rid of Roeder now will more than likely be financial suicide to a club obviously in dire straits, and perhaps that is why Delia and Co are saying nothing.....but financial suicide will be committed if things do not improve......can we afford to be relegated and more than likely lose vast sums through lost season ticket and casual ticket sales.......I mean do you really fancy paying £350+ or more to watch the likes of Carlisle, Walsall, Swindon to name but a few, at home on a very cold, wet and windy December or January Tuesday night..!! I love this club, and have done for fifty years or more, so is it too much to ask for a bit of success, we have underachieved now for so long, and on the playing side, that can only be down to the Manager,  coaches, and tacticians taking the daily training and picking the teams......and that is Glen ROEDER.

[/quote]

Fair play Porky again some good points which I agree with.

Like you I have supported the club for many years (only 30 odd for me though) and yes we have underachieved for a long time. The key phrase here is ''a long time''. Yes I agree the performance on the pitch week in week out is down the the manager and his team but how many managers have we had over the last 10/12 years ?  - but what and who have been the constants over that period ??who have made the managerial appointments, set the player budgets etc ? starved the manager of funds whilst investing in off field activity and having to sell other players to manage the debt created by it. ? Mangers can only work within the budget set for them - yes it then down to them how to spend it and we can all have views on whether that money was well spent or not - but the bigger picture is that although as said before removing Roeder may well remove a symptom, the main disease will still remain.

I sadly feel that the club is in a position where we are ''damned if we do and damned if we don''t'' I honestly believe that if we get no investment to spend in January we will go down this season and the club will go in to financial meltdown with or without Roeder in charge.

Though I sympathise with your views, and understand them - I still feel Roeder is the easy and wrong target here....

[quote user="Prudence"]I simply cant understand the people who place all the blame at Roeders door - whilst completely exonerating the stupid twats who employed him.[/quote]

I agree its not all Roeder(nowheres) fault but he cannot use lack of funds as an excuse cause clubs far worse of than us our doing better than us!