Sign in to follow this  
Irish canary

Not a bad team on paper!!?!

Does anyone else feel that on paper we actually are not a bad team at the moment (loan signings aside and counted as our team), APART FROM OUR RUBBISH DEFENCE!!!!!

I genuinely think that the likes of Marshall, kennedy (ok),  Russell, Clinigan, Hoolahan, Lupoli, Lita, Bell, Croft are all quite good players, oh and sibierski on the bench is not bad either! If we had a strong defence, I really think we have the team to build for a strong league position, if we did not conceed so easily, the pressure would be off a bit and the team could maybe gain some momentum. its very hard to see this at the moment as we leak goals far too easily, and I know there is probably no money there to solve this problem, but just venting my feelings!

So to sum up, fix the defence fix the team! Cheers [B]

I was talking to some Sheffield Wednesday supporters, over a pint or two, before the game last week and they were saying that having looked at the quality of the players we have in our team(mentioning Lita, Sibierski, Hoolahan, Clinghan especially) they could not understand how we were in the position that we were in, as man for man, ''on paper'' we are far superior to them and a lot of the Championship teams. They also, interestingly, could not believe that we had loaned Jamie Cureton out to Barnsley, and to a man said that he would be the first player that they would take from our team given the choice. They asked why and I said that I believed that he, like most strikers,  had gone through a bit of a lean spell scoring wise and that he is, in my opinion the type of person that  needs an encouraging arm around the shoulders when things are not going well, but we do not have a manager who is capable of either identifying this or carrying it out if it is pointed out to him. Although these guys had not had any direct experience of Glen Roeders ways they were of the opinion that he is not a good man manager and that if he shouts and tells you to do something and you do not do it then you are out of favour......mmmmm!

[quote user="methcanary"]

I was talking to some Sheffield Wednesday supporters, over a pint or two, before the game last week and they were saying that having looked at the quality of the players we have in our team(mentioning Lita, Sibierski, Hoolahan, Clinghan especially) they could not understand how we were in the position that we were in, as man for man, ''on paper'' we are far superior to them and a lot of the Championship teams. They also, interestingly, could not believe that we had loaned Jamie Cureton out to Barnsley, and to a man said that he would be the first player that they would take from our team given the choice. They asked why and I said that I believed that he, like most strikers,  had gone through a bit of a lean spell scoring wise and that he is, in my opinion the type of person that  needs an encouraging arm around the shoulders when things are not going well, but we do not have a manager who is capable of either identifying this or carrying it out if it is pointed out to him. Although these guys had not had any direct experience of Glen Roeders ways they were of the opinion that he is not a good man manager and that if he shouts and tells you to do something and you do not do it then you are out of favour......mmmmm!

[/quote]

I had a similar conversation with one or two mates meth, (also one a sheffield wednesday supporter funnily enough) and pretty much were saying the same thing about our team. Interesting point about how they would like Cureton though, maybe somethin to think about if he starts banging in goals for barnsley. totally agree that Roeder has absolutely no man management skills, looks what he has done to Hoolahan for starters, just sucking confidence from the lad, when he is full of ability!

[quote user="methcanary"]

They also, interestingly, could not believe that we had loaned Jamie Cureton out to Barnsley, and to a man said that he would be the first player that they would take from our team given the choice. 

[/quote]

I''m sure if they watched JC on a regular basis then they would soon change their minds.

[quote user="Count Chopula"][quote user="Mello Yello"]Toilet paper?[/quote]

Folds easily?

[/quote]Just like the teams he picks!!

I remember last season when Cureton scored a hat trick and the manager''s reaction to that was basically, "he should have done better."  I don''t recall if that was Roeder or Grant making such ridiculous staements, but there were plenty of people here who backed up the manager''s approach, saying it was necessary to keep the player grounded, not full of himself.

What that approach seems to have done is leave him shaking his head in disbelief and wondering what he should do differently to get a pat on the back from the boss. I guess he tried playing differently, and look what that has done for him.  Fu*king stupid management skills on whomever''s part it was.

What he should have been told was, "Great game, keep it going, and to the rest of you in the locker room, play like THAT guy!"

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

I remember last season when Cureton scored a hat trick and the manager''s reaction to that was basically, "he should have done better."  I don''t recall if that was Roeder or Grant making such ridiculous staements, but there were plenty of people here who backed up the manager''s approach, saying it was necessary to keep the player grounded, not full of himself.

What that approach seems to have done is leave him shaking his head in disbelief and wondering what he should do differently to get a pat on the back from the boss. I guess he tried playing differently, and look what that has done for him.  Fu*king stupid management skills on whomever''s part it was.

What he should have been told was, "Great game, keep it going, and to the rest of you in the locker room, play like THAT guy!"

[/quote]Our management is not very good at that though is it.

[quote user="Irish canary"]

Does anyone else feel that on paper we actually are not a bad team at the moment (loan signings aside and counted as our team), APART FROM OUR RUBBISH DEFENCE!!!!!

I genuinely think that the likes of Marshall, kennedy (ok),  Russell, Clinigan, Hoolahan, Lupoli, Lita, Bell, Croft are all quite good players, oh and sibierski on the bench is not bad either! If we had a strong defence, I really think we have the team to build for a strong league position, if we did not conceed so easily, the pressure would be off a bit and the team could maybe gain some momentum. its very hard to see this at the moment as we leak goals far too easily, and I know there is probably no money there to solve this problem, but just venting my feelings!

So to sum up, fix the defence fix the team! Cheers [B]

[/quote]

Good - a sensible post regarding the calibre of our squad. We are lacking in confidence which is making all the difference and leaving us at the wrong end of the table from where we should be, on paper. We''ve had some moments of madness and stupid mistakes, but then so does everybody in this league - the quality isn''t that high. Roeder may be unpopular but we are stuck with him, and he has plenty of experience and is probably just as good in the long run as anybody else. He took the niceness out of the club - which many people seem to feel aggrieved about, yet this needed to be done. The players are professionals and need to take criticism on the chin, which I believe they do. I also believe they are still behind Roeder, witness the performance at Notts Forest away.

We have had a number of games without our first choice defence and that will inevitably start to leak goals. I do believe the second half of the season will be better.