Sign in to follow this  

Jamie Cureton today

Cureton started for Barnsley today and this is how he got on according to BBC live text. Sounds somewhat familiar...25:58Drilled right-footed shot by Jamie Cureton. Marcus Hahnemann makes a comfortable save.28:28Jamie Cureton is caught offside. Marcus Hahnemann takes the direct free kick.32:35The referee blows for offside against Jamie Cureton. Marcus Hahnemann takes the free kick.43:07Jamie Cureton is caught offside. Direct free kick taken by Marcus Hahnemann.81:05The official flags Jamie Cureton offside. Direct free kick taken by Marcus Hahnemann.

[quote user="Count Chopula"]IT''S ALL ROEDER''S FAULT FOR DESTROYING HIS CONFIDENCE AND THEN SHIPPING HIM OFF TO BARNSLEY.

[/quote]

Actually its all Peter Grants fault for buying him in the first place.

He could have stayed at Colchester and he would have been a star striker in League.

Its the level he always thrived at.

[quote user="ricardo"]

[quote user="Count Chopula"]IT''S ALL ROEDER''S FAULT FOR DESTROYING HIS CONFIDENCE AND THEN SHIPPING HIM OFF TO BARNSLEY.

[/quote]

He could have stayed at Colchester and he would have been a star striker in League.

[/quote]When a friend of mine bought his season ticket, he commented that he heard someone in the phone sales department say "yes, we''ve sold Robert Earnshaw.... but we''ve BOUGHT JAMIE CURETON."

[quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]He starred for Colchester in the Championship 2006-07 and was the Championship top scorer for that season. It was only when he arrived here that he deteriorated. He had confidence at Colchester which is something that this club seem to be good at destroyng. Wes Hoolahan was excellent at Blackpool but as GR says he is now at a much bigger club etc; etc.

Personally I think Curo would shine like he did at Col Utd if he had a decent targetman alongside him with whom he could strike up a partnership. Unfortunately it was not to be.

He starred for Colchester because he had a great provider in Iwelumo (my opinion). I know no one is allowed to share the Golden Boot but if they were Chris should have done.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]He starred for Colchester because he had a great provider in Iwelumo (my opinion). I know no one is allowed to share the Golden Boot but if they were Chris should have done.[/quote]It might have been a good idea for our club to have paired him with someone similar to get the best out of him. Theey should have known why he was such a success at his previous club.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]He starred for Colchester because he had a great provider in Iwelumo (my opinion). I know no one is allowed to share the Golden Boot but if they were Chris should have done.[/quote]

I did actually say in the summer we should try and sign Iwelumo about a month before wolves did.

[quote user="PBTC"]Cureton started for Barnsley today and this is how he got on according to BBC live text. Sounds somewhat familiar...

25:58
Drilled right-footed shot by Jamie Cureton. Marcus Hahnemann makes a comfortable save.

28:28
Jamie Cureton is caught offside. Marcus Hahnemann takes the direct free kick.

32:35
The referee blows for offside against Jamie Cureton. Marcus Hahnemann takes the free kick.

43:07
Jamie Cureton is caught offside. Direct free kick taken by Marcus Hahnemann.

81:05
The official flags Jamie Cureton offside. Direct free kick taken by Marcus Hahnemann.
[/quote]

Or "didn''t do anything at all" as a disgruntled poster on Tykes Mad put it..........

On the 606 site today, the following banter made me laugh:"When the ball''s in the goal, it''s not Shearer or Cole, it''s Zamora".... Fulham fan2 minutes later..."When you''re sat in Row Z and the ball hits your head, that''s Zamora".... West Ham fan.

Good luck Jamie.

[quote user="tribes"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]He starred for Colchester in the Championship 2006-07 and was the Championship top scorer for that season. It was only when he arrived here that he deteriorated. He had confidence at Colchester which is something that this club seem to be good at destroyng. Wes Hoolahan was excellent at Blackpool but as GR says he is now at a much bigger club etc; etc.[/quote]

Blackpool might just be the bigger side come the start of next season!

jas :)

Quote from Barnsley fans on Curo:

I thought most of his runs were good, never seemed to get the balls to him, though he did look like he wanted them.

It would only take a couple of half decent through balls for him, or at least get it to his feet.

Or:

And we still wouldn''t have scored...
JM and JC need balls playing to them through the channels to see the best from them...our defencive midfield cant run at defences and play these sort of balls....they win the ball and knock it wide where we chip it in to the box this is no good...no good at all....
i hate to say this fans...but i am 100% sure we would have won bot today and at Forrest with Brian Coward running at defenders and knocking little balls through for Johny and Jammie..

Hmm? sounds very familiar, they must have watched City play!  [:|]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]He starred for Colchester because he had a great provider in Iwelumo (my opinion). I know no one is allowed to share the Golden Boot but if they were Chris should have done.[/quote]I agree with this, judging by the that Iwelumo play when I went to watch Wolves the other week, most strikers would score alongside him.If we had Lita or Lupoli alongside him then either of those would be in double figures already. Of course Wolves also have Ebanks-Blake, but I think that Lita and Lupoli are each as good as him.  Iwelumo is exactly the type of player that we have all been saying we need since.... well since Ashton left..... a decent target man / all round striker!Iwelumo in my opinion remains Wolves best signing for years......

Cureton was never the same for Norwich after Grant immediately subbed him in the Barnet game for not squaring the ball when he had already scored two.

Roeder has just made the situation ten times worse. My man at Carrow Road says Roeder''s treatment of Jamie has been terrible - He allegedly got kicked of the bus for an away game by Roeder, when he originally said he was playing for example.

If Roeder does get sacked, Cureton should be recalled as he could be transformed by anything manager - but while Roeder is around he has no future here, which is a great shame.

Isn''t he still on 199 career goals? I think that is a massive mental problem for him. It''s *possible*  that once he gets one he will find form again.Yours Percy

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"][quote user="Camuldonum"]He starred for Colchester because he had a great provider in Iwelumo (my opinion). I know no one is allowed to share the Golden Boot but if they were Chris should have done.[/quote]

I agree with this, judging by the that Iwelumo play when I went to watch Wolves the other week, most strikers would score alongside him.

If we had Lita or Lupoli alongside him then either of those would be in double figures already. Of course Wolves also have Ebanks-Blake, but I think that Lita and Lupoli are each as good as him.  Iwelumo is exactly the type of player that we have all been saying we need since.... well since Ashton left..... a decent target man / all round striker!

Iwelumo in my opinion remains Wolves best signing for years......
[/quote]

First off, I like Jamie a great deal.  I got to know him quite well at Colchester and he''s a very likeable lad and I''m genuinely sorry that he''s not had a good season so far for you.  As many have stated he is a confidence player - also easily "put down" but I really don''t think Chris ever got the credit he should have got in that season but, hey, that''s football!

I rate Chris extremely highly and are one of the few who believe that, if Wolves should make it, he could play in the Premier League.  In a way I hope to see him prove me right.

It was he who took the batterings from defenders to get the ball across to Jamie - at a height he could deal with.  Although the departure, probably as a partnership, cost us dearly I still like to see former players do well and when you look at the Iwelumo-Cureton situation it''s an unfortunate role reversal for Jamie at the moment.

As also stated before, we were slightly puzzled at Colchester as to why you didn''t try to go for them as a partnership (assuming that you didn''t and got rebuffed).

From what I have read on the Barnsley boards so far they are not giving him the sort of service he needs, either, at the moment.  Put crudely he''s what kids used to call a goalhanger but goalhangers need the right pass if they are to put them away.  What is certain is that it is no good lobbing balls in the air to him - he isn''t going to win them.  Many of his best goals for Colchester (and some were very good)_ were "first time volley" height at which Chris was often quite superb especially after riding the full backs "clip".  Terrific "eye" for a cross.