Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Down memory lane...

Nice to see our club in happier times Waz, Bit before my time although I am sure arrdee and nutty will remember it! [Y]

[quote user="lappinitup"]Nice to see our club in happier times Waz, Bit before my time although I am sure arrdee and nutty will remember it! [Y][/quote]

No Nutty and myself were young boys in the 1960s not the 1920s like you Lapp, you always give yourself away when you go to a dance when you start "flapping" and doing the "black bottoms"a dead give away Lapp, you lovely old old boy....[:D]....arrdee.

[quote user="arrdee"]

[quote user="lappinitup"]Nice to see our club in happier times Waz, Bit before my time although I am sure arrdee and nutty will remember it! [Y][/quote]

No Nutty and myself were young boys in the 1960s not the 1920s like you Lapp, you always give yourself away when you go to a dance when you start "flapping" and doing the "black bottoms"a dead give away Lapp, you lovely old old boy....[:D]....arrdee.

[/quote]

Erm...what''s black bottoms?  I sooooooooo hope it''s a dance lol

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="arrdee"]

[/quote]

Erm...what''s black bottoms?  I sooooooooo hope it''s a dance lol

[/quote]

Well I don''t rightly know but I have heard it said that Lapp is "ace" at it, I think we must ask him 49s....arrdee.

[quote user="arrdee"]

No Nutty and myself were young boys in the 1960s not the 1920s like you Lapp, you always give yourself away when you go to a dance when you start "flapping" and doing the "black bottoms"a dead give away Lapp, you lovely old old boy....[:D]....arrdee.[/quote]Funny how you bring up ''dances'' just before Christmas arrdee but then again, you are quite famous for them aren''t you?  [:$]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="arrdee"]

No Nutty and myself were young boys in the 1960s not the 1920s like you Lapp, you always give yourself away when you go to a dance when you start "flapping" and doing the "black bottoms"a dead give away Lapp, you lovely old old boy....[:D]....arrdee.[/quote]Funny how you bring up ''dances'' just before Christmas arrdee but then again, you are quite famous for them aren''t you?  [:$]

[/quote]

I had thought of asking you to do the "black bottoms" for us at a Pickers meet but the sound of those cracking bones and as you exerted yourself the braking wind would put everyone off, no one would come again.[:D] as for famous dances before Xmas? I don''t know what you mean....[;)]....arrdee.

Memory...

I among lots of others can''t relate to this NCFC anymore, so all that''s left are videos, DVD''s, ...

Think about it Delia, board,... you''re gonna lose a lot of hardcore fans if you continue like this...

Still yellow and green in my heart, but ... feel disgusted by the club''s board and manager

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="arrdee"]

[/quote]

Is this the Christmas bash you and I won''t be invited to? [:''(]

Black Bottom

Jazz related dance moves that originated in New Orleans  - dance moves made popular by the Charleston in the 20s.  Charleston in 4/4 with accents usually on either 1/3 or 2/4.

The Savoy Orpheans were major protagonists of the Charleston in Britain and were among the first to record them in any quantity.  Wonderful band.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Black Bottom

Jazz related dance moves that originated in New Orleans  - dance moves made popular by the Charleston in the 20s.  Charleston in 4/4 with accents usually on either 1/3 or 2/4.

The Savoy Orpheans were major protagonists of the Charleston in Britain and were among the first to record them in any quantity.  Wonderful band.

[/quote]

There you are Wass. Told you, he grew up in the 20s, there now what have you got to say? Told you. He was probably one of The Savoy Orpheans. Now come to think of it he told me he was in a band a few years ago. Huh!! few years ago? Yeerr!! Right. Do you remember him telling us that Nutty? Everything has fallen  into place now. Thanks for that Cam.[Y]....[:D]....arrdee. 

[quote user="arrdee"]

There you are Wass. Told you, he grew up in the 20s, there now what have you got to say? Told you. He was probably one of The Savoy Orpheans. Now come to think of it he told me he was in a band a few years ago. Huh!! few years ago? Yeerr!! Right. Do you remember him telling us that Nutty? Everything has fallen  into place now. Thanks for that Cam.[Y]....[:D]....arrdee. [/quote]

Yes indeed I do remember him telling us Arrdee. But it wasn''t The Savoy Orpheans. If I remember the name correctly it was "The White Lion Street Washboard Band". So named because they played their first gig in the famous Criterion Cafe where legend has it they destroyed great tunes of their time including "The Black Bottom Stomp". But I remember Lapp saying how proud he was when they got to play at venues like The Lame Dog[&] on Queens Road. Apparently the General Strike did for him and he had to sell the washboard.

Do you remember the old boy telling us that it was the 80th anniversary of our 3rd Round FA Cup defeat by Corinthians next month? No 1959 nostalgial for dear old Lapp... in fact he made a comment about it being to recent to deserve any recognition at all[:S]

[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="arrdee"]

There you are Wass. Told you, he grew up in the 20s, there now what have you got to say? Told you. He was probably one of The Savoy Orpheans. Now come to think of it he told me he was in a band a few years ago. Huh!! few years ago? Yeerr!! Right. Do you remember him telling us that Nutty? Everything has fallen  into place now. Thanks for that Cam.[Y]....[:D]....arrdee. [/quote]

Yes indeed I do remember him telling us Arrdee. But it wasn''t The Savoy Orpheans. If I remember the name correctly it was "The White Lion Street Washboard Band". So named because they played their first gig in the famous Criterion Cafe where legend has it they destroyed great tunes of their time including "The Black Bottom Stomp". But I remember Lapp saying how proud he was when they got to play at venues like The Lame Dog[&] on Queens Road. Apparently the General Strike did for him and he had to sell the washboard.

Do you remember the old boy telling us that it was the 80th anniversary of our 3rd Round FA Cup defeat by Corinthians next month? No 1959 nostalgial for dear old Lapp... in fact he made a comment about it being to recent to deserve any recognition at all[:S]

[;)]

[/quote]

Thank you Ardee.  As to washboards which great actor (TV and all) was a noted exponent upon this instrument? Anyone know?  It was a little known passion for him

As to Corinthians, as one  of my forbears was (which may genetically account for me continuing to support Colchester and Lincoln) I recommend to all and sundry the "Corinthian spirit" as perpetuated by the Arthurian League which I follow assiduously.[:P]

I reffed a lot of Arthurian games in the 70''s including  an Arthur Dunn (legend) cup semi final in which I ruled out what would have been a winning goal (miles offside when the ball was struck) and an Old Harrovian said: "I say, ref, you are sure that was offside?"

"Absolutely," I said.  "Fair enough," said the Old Harrovian.

[:|]

Arthurian League recommended to all.

http://www.arthurianleague.com/

And, in the spirit of the Corinthians and of the Arthurian League:

Jolly good luck to all you chaps v Ipswich on Sunday.

In a less than Corinthian spirit, Colchester fielded nine pro''s the other night against Romford in the Essex Senior Cup and turned them over 6-1. They are currently top of their league and are hoping to get promoted.

Loved the Romford poster who came on a U''s board  and said: "Good game.  Forget the result.  Thanks for a wonderful evening - great stadium.  Everyone very friendly.  Thanks everyone for a great evening and best of luck for your season."

And they lost 6-1.[:|]

It''s lonely but I think I am a Corinthian at heart[+o(]

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="arrdee"]

[;)]

[/quote]

Thank you Ardee.  As to washboards which great actor (TV and all) was a noted exponent upon this instrument? Anyone know?  It was a little known passion for him

As to Corinthians, as one  of my forbears was (which may genetically account for me continuing to support Colchester and Lincoln) I recommend to all and sundry the "Corinthian spirit" as perpetuated by the Arthurian League which I follow assiduously.[:P]

I reffed a lot of Arthurian games in the 70''s including  an Arthur Dunn (legend) cup semi final in which I ruled out what would have been a winning goal (miles offside when the ball was struck) and an Old Harrovian said: "I say, ref, you are sure that was offside?"

In a less than Corinthian spirit, Colchester fielded nine pro''s the other night against Romford in the Essex Senior Cup and turned them over 6-1. They are currently top of their league and are hoping to get promoted.

Loved the Romford poster who came on a U''s board  and said: "Good game.  Forget the result.  Thanks for a wonderful evening - great stadium.  Everyone very friendly.  Thanks everyone for a great evening and best of luck for your season."

[/quote]

Cam the man was Derick Guyler if My memory serves me correct.Caretaker in Please Sir.

Washboard was my "Instrument" and played in a Skiffle Group.

Nothing to do with Black bottom that must me Lapps "age group"

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="arrdee"]

[;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Cam the man was Derick Guyler if My memory serves me correct.Caretaker in Please Sir.

Washboard was my "Instrument" and played in a Skiffle Group.

Nothing to do with Black bottom that must me Lapps "age group"

[/quote]

Well done! It was indeed Mr Guyler.........

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="arrdee"]There you are Wass. Told you, he grew up in the 20s, there now what have you got to say? Told you. He was probably one of The Savoy Orpheans. Now come to think of it he told me he was in a band a few years ago. Huh!! few years ago? Yeerr!! Right. Do you remember him telling us that Nutty? Everything has fallen  into place now. Thanks for that Cam.[Y]....[:D]....arrdee. [/quote]Yes indeed I do remember him telling us Arrdee. But it wasn''t The Savoy Orpheans. If I remember the name correctly it was "The White Lion Street Washboard Band". So named because they played their first gig in the famous Criterion Cafe where legend has it they destroyed great tunes of their time including "The Black Bottom Stomp". But I remember Lapp saying how proud he was when they got to play at venues like The Lame Dog[&] on Queens Road. Apparently the General Strike did for him and he had to sell the washboard.

Do you remember the old boy telling us that it was the 80th anniversary of our 3rd Round FA Cup defeat by Corinthians next month? No 1959 nostalgial for dear old Lapp... in fact he made a comment about it being to recent to deserve any recognition at all.[/quote]Oh dear, what have you two done, I''m destroyed! [:''(]. City Angel [A] and I had made plans to run away together[au] immediately after City''s game on Sunday.[:D] The hotel was booked [S]and the AA had supplied a route map[au] for Gretna Green. Now it''s all off. [:''(]. And all because you two had to reveal my age! [:@] Thanks my friends![U]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="arrdee"]There you are Wass. Told you, he grew up in the 20s, there now what have you got to say? Told you. He was probably one of The Savoy Orpheans. Now come to think of it he told me he was in a band a few years ago. Huh!! few years ago? Yeerr!! Right. Do you remember him telling us that Nutty? Everything has fallen  into place now. Thanks for that Cam.[Y]....[:D]....arrdee. [/quote]Yes indeed I do remember him telling us Arrdee. But it wasn''t The Savoy Orpheans. If I remember the name correctly it was "The White Lion Street Washboard Band". So named because they played their first gig in the famous Criterion Cafe where legend has it they destroyed great tunes of their time including "The Black Bottom Stomp". But I remember Lapp saying how proud he was when they got to play at venues like The Lame Dog[&] on Queens Road. Apparently the General Strike did for him and he had to sell the washboard.

Do you remember the old boy telling us that it was the 80th anniversary of our 3rd Round FA Cup defeat by Corinthians next month? No 1959 nostalgial for dear old Lapp... in fact he made a comment about it being to recent to deserve any recognition at all.[/quote]Oh dear, what have you two done, I''m destroyed! [:''(]. City Angel [A] and I had made plans to run away together[au] immediately after City''s game on Sunday.[:D] The hotel was booked [S]and the AA had supplied a route map[au] for Gretna Green. Now it''s all off. [:''(]. And all because you two had to reveal my age! [:@] Thanks my friends![U]

[/quote]

Well I think its all turned for the best, its saved you from embarrassment Lapp, what could you have done when push came to shove? Talked about how good Percy Varco was?....[:D]....arrdee.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="arrdee"]There you are Wass. Told you, he grew up in the 20s, there now what have you got to say? Told you. He was probably one of The Savoy Orpheans. Now come to think of it he told me he was in a band a few years ago. Huh!! few years ago? Yeerr!! Right. Do you remember him telling us that Nutty? Everything has fallen  into place now. Thanks for that Cam.[Y]....[:D]....arrdee. [/quote]Yes indeed I do remember him telling us Arrdee. But it wasn''t The Savoy Orpheans. If I remember the name correctly it was "The White Lion Street Washboard Band". So named because they played their first gig in the famous Criterion Cafe where legend has it they destroyed great tunes of their time including "The Black Bottom Stomp". But I remember Lapp saying how proud he was when they got to play at venues like The Lame Dog[&] on Queens Road. Apparently the General Strike did for him and he had to sell the washboard.

[/quote]

Now Lapp my friend.... I don''t know how to tell you this but at the last ''Pickers Meet'' the lovely City Angel told me and Arrdee that she didn''t realise how old you were until you let slip one day that you could remember the Dead Sea when it was only sick[:O]

Yeh,what a season!The 5-1 win against Blackpool is one of my earliest football memories from Carrow Road along with the win against Palace the following season that kept us up.I think it was a very late a Dave Stringer goal that did it for us.Remember being crammed into the old Barclay like sardines and squashed up against the crash barriers.Happy days indeed.

[quote user="1st Wazzock"]

I liked the suit Lapp was wearing at the meet.

What does ''Demob'' mean Arrdee ?

I thought he had been watching ''Family at War''

[/quote]

It just matched the JAFFA that was on his fireside chair.

I''m with you Lapp the discussion on the Firs stadium and Penny farthing racing was very interesting.

Wazz was only annoyed that his Grecian 2000 had run. At least that''s what I thought it was running down his face!

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="1st Wazzock"]

I liked the suit Lapp was wearing at the meet.

What does ''Demob'' mean Arrdee ?

I thought he had been watching ''Family at War''

[/quote]

It just matched the JAFFA that was on his fireside chair.

I''m with you Lapp the discussion on the Firs stadium and Penny farthing racing was very interesting.

Wazz was only annoyed that his Grecian 2000 had run. At least that''s what I thought it was running down his face!

[/quote]

LMAO [*]

Lapp was telling me that when he was at school money was very tight, and all his clothes came from the Army and Navy Surplus stores.

He said he felt terrible because he was the only one in his class dressed as a Japanese Admiral.[:D]

Lappin, when I left her, CA was in a very unfit condition. After having a celebration meal in Rushcutters (for which we had to remain dignifed and cultured, as it''s a bit posh in there) she proceeded to inform the rest of the diners that we had beaten the scum 2-0.

Run away with her, you may never get a better chance. Delia, eat your heart out. lol

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Lappin, when I left her, CA was in a very unfit condition. After having a celebration meal in Rushcutters (for which we had to remain dignifed and cultured, as it''s a bit posh in there) she proceeded to inform the rest of the diners that we had beaten the scum 2-0.

Run away with her, you may never get a better chance. Delia, eat your heart out. lol[/quote]i was told the rushcutters is going a carvery these days for £3.50 a pop??? is this right gaz, and if so, did it look any good, or like a TV dinner???