Sign in to follow this  
Camuldonum

Absolutely Off Topic

He: "I love Norwich.  Fantastic supporters - a club with wonderful potential.  Beautiful place and lovely country around.  I think it''s  pretty much unique, that''s the sense I''ve got anyway."

She: "We''ve had some tearful moments over the years, the ups and downs of life, but he really wanted to be at Norwich.  He will always fight back tears but I had a cry."

Who are they?

Somebody that was at Norwich for a short-ish amount of time.

''Tiny'' Taylor?

Potentially Martin O''Neill or Peter Grant, but then O''Neill spent some time here as a player.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

He: "I love Norwich.  Fantastic supporters - a club with wonderful potential.  Beautiful place and lovely country around.  I think it''s  pretty much unique, that''s the sense I''ve got anyway."

She: "We''ve had some tearful moments over the years, the ups and downs of life, but he really wanted to be at Norwich.  He will always fight back tears but I had a cry."

Who are they?

[/quote]

Michael and Delia?

[quote user="claud"]

Somebody that was at Norwich for a short-ish amount of time.

''Tiny'' Taylor?

Potentially Martin O''Neill or Peter Grant, but then O''Neill spent some time here as a player.

[/quote]

So did Grant.

Mark .Y.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

Who are they?

[/quote]

Michael and Delia?

[/quote]

That''s what i thought

[quote user="Camuldonum"]The answer is Mr and Mrs Roeder in September of this year.[:)][/quote]

Completely Off Topic again:

Cam, did you ever known Karl Giles, (the cartoonist) personally? He lived down your way I believe and was a National Institution at the time of your sojourn in Fleet Street, I would imagine.

[quote user="yellow hammer"]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]The answer is Mr and Mrs Roeder in September of this year.[:)][/quote]

Completely Off Topic again:

Cam, did you ever known Karl Giles, (the cartoonist) personally? He lived down your way I believe and was a National Institution at the time of your sojourn in Fleet Street, I would imagine.

[/quote]

I didn''t know him well but as you say he was a legend.  When I first went to Fleet St I did casual night reporting shifts for the Express and he was often to be seen wandering around the Newsroom.

I am still sometimes reminded of his most memorable character - the belligerent Grandma.  She would have fitted in well, here, whacking Mr Roeder with her umbrella no doubt..............[:P]

George Gale, another Fleet Street legend, used to live in a big house in Wivenhoe, next to an arts centre. As an impressionable (well, sort of) young man I attended a party there one Saturday night. There was alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol.

[quote]As an impressionable (well, sort of) young man I attended a party there

one Saturday night. There was alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol.[/quote]

BLIMEY!!!  Did you stay up ''til one o'' clock in the morning too!?!  [:P]

At 1am I think we were only just getting started! Not for nothing was the host the supposed model for Private Eye''s George G. Ale (sic) and Lunchtime O''Booze...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]George Gale, another Fleet Street legend, used to live in a big house in Wivenhoe, next to an arts centre. As an impressionable (well, sort of) young man I attended a party there one Saturday night. There was alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol.[/quote]

Gale by name, Gale by nature.  I knew George quite well.  Mostly the hard drinking legends are long gone from Fleet Street - it was a very vibrant place in the 60s (three London evenings) but the business has more or less changed out of recognition.  Gone are the horrendous Christmas parties (free drinks all night) which, in the 70s, left the Sun with a restoration bill for over £100,000 (lot of money, then) after the Sun Christmas party was held at the Law Society Banqueting Hall.

Not only did the waitresses refuse to come out after the second course (being struck with a volley of bread rolls) but after the "event" a number of Sun staff inspected the full length portraits  of past legal luminaries and Judges which adorned the walls and drew moustaches and spectacles over many of these treasured oil paintings................................................[+o(]

The other thing I remember about that Gale of a Saturday, in as much as I remember anything at all, is that I was at a loose end in the afternoon and went - for the first and only time - to Layer Road, to see Peterborough beat Colchester 1-0 in the FA Cup.

The only goal, from memory, was scored by a long-serving winger. Google produces Tommy Robson as a possibility, although I had the vague idea the player in question was a Welsh or Northern Ireland international, which Robson was not.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]The other thing I remember about that Gale of a Saturday, in as much as I remember anything at all, is that I was at a loose end in the afternoon and went - for the first and only time - to Layer Road, to see Peterborough beat Colchester 1-0 in the FA Cup.

The only goal, from memory, was scored by a long-serving winger. Google produces Tommy Robson as a possibility, although I had the vague idea the player in question was a Welsh or Northern Ireland international, which Robson was not.[/quote]

Tommy Robson was certainly playing for Posh at that time - attacking left midfield from memory.  Glad to see the U''s maintained their long and honourable tradition of losing at home[:|]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]The other thing I remember about that Gale of a Saturday, in as much as I remember anything at all, is that I was at a loose end in the afternoon and went - for the first and only time - to Layer Road, to see Peterborough beat Colchester 1-0 in the FA Cup.

The only goal, from memory, was scored by a long-serving winger. Google produces Tommy Robson as a possibility, although I had the vague idea the player in question was a Welsh or Northern Ireland international, which Robson was not.[/quote]

Tommy Robson was certainly playing for Posh at that time - attacking left midfield from memory.  Glad to see the U''s maintained their long and honourable tradition of losing at home[:|]

[/quote]

Tommy was a top bloke,and a Posh legend. I had the pleasure of playing a few games with him after he left them. One of the nicest ex pros I''ve met,a lovely down to earth Geordie.

Glad to have stirred a few memories, Beauseant! Having done some more Googling, it seems my memory of this particular match was not quite right, but then we are talking about 1967 and you know what they say - if you can remember the ''60s then you weren''t really there.

Anyway. Far from being a 1-0 win, it was a 3-0 stroll for Peterborough.