Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

BBC - FOOTBALL CLUBS OWE HMRC MILLIONS

FROM BBC WEBSITE
More than £28m of tax money owed by struggling football clubs has

been written off by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), a BBC investigation

has found.
The debt was incurred by 18 clubs which have gone into administration with unpaid tax bills in recent seasons.

Leicester City

League One

£7m

£700k

£6.3m

Leeds United

League One

£6.8m

£680k

£6.1m

Ipswich Town

Championship

£5m

£391k

£4.6m

Bradford City

League Two

£2.6m

£26k

£2.58m

Luton

League Two

£2.5m

£2.2m

Wrexham

Blue Square Prem.

£1.45m

£507k

£943k

Bournemouth

League Two

£1m

£100k

£900k

Halifax Town

Unibond Division One North

£795k

£0

£795k

Huddersfield

League One

£723k

£101k

£622k

Cambridge U

Blue Square Prem.

£532K

£101k

£431k

Oldham

League One

£520k

£260k

£260k

Notts County

League Two

£487k

£96k

£391k

Wimbledon (now MK Dons)

League One

£460k

£0

£460k

Rotherham

League Two

£450k

£20k

£430k

Exeter City

League Two

£442k

£62k

£380k

Darlington

League Two

£416k

£2k

£414k

Lincoln City

League Two

£350k

£143k

£207k

Crawley Town

Blue Square Pre
''50-60 clubs in arrears''
Interesting reading that a list of clubs owe the Tax man more than 28 million pounds - at the expense of the paying public.This included Ipswich who payed only £391,000 from a tax debt of 5 million.More interestingly is the fact that it appears the majority of clubs in this country are in debt to HMRC, who cannot be preferential creditors for the payment of debts should a club go into administration -  as it is a written FA rule that staff of that club must take preference - how the hell can that be right when I as a tax payer, and every business other than football clubs in this Country, have a duty to pay our dues whatever, and particularly in the current financial climate when homes are being repossessed and unemployment is growing at an alarming rate.....not to mention the rises in the cost of virtually everything!!Another kick in the teeth to the paying public who attend football matches every week.SO MR ROEDER, MORE RESPECT FROM YOU TO THE PAYING PUBLIC OF NCFC, WHO NOW HAVE MORE RIGHT THAN EVER TO CRITICISE YOUR TEAM SELECTIONS/SIGNINGS/COACHING/AND WHATEVER THEY BLOODY WELL WANT......as do the supporters of every club.....

I would like to know, do NCFC have a tax debt? Perhaps a spokesperson will give me an answer!!

These figures do not really surprise me, I agree it is strange that clubs are allowed to pretty much write off their tax bill if the going gets tough.  HMRC are getting tougher on it now though so I wonder if there will be a change sometime, clubs going into admin are struggling to find an agreement with HMRC to enable them to leave admin under the proper IVA, which is why we had the situation of this season with 3 clubs starting League 2 with huge points deductions.

Love the way you manage to turn an interesting point into a rant against Roeder.

>Perhaps a spokesperson will give me an answer!!

Mr Doncaster recently said we did were not one of the Clubs in arrears to HMRC - it was either at the AGM or in his column.