Sign in to follow this  
ca

Mark Rivers

Could someone tell me why Rivers is out of favour and what has happened with him and Worthy.Surely personal feelings should be put aside when picking the best team and subs for a game. Why isnt he on the bench today?

Fom my point of view it is nothing more sinister than a loss of form - since his absence thru injury his performances have been of clint easton proportions... he has been truly awful, lacking in ability and energy and deserved to be dropped

I am sure that he will return to the team once his form returns.

OTBC

I am sure you are right and probably sooner than meritted if and when loanees return. I am sorry but I just cant recall when Rivers showed any sustained form, please remind me. Oh for the days when a real wide player took it to the bye line and got in a cross, haven''t seen that at City for some time, with exception of DH.

You might have thought in the last year of your contract getting fit and playing well might be a priority.

Not a problem if we can scrape enough cash to buy Kevin H.

As far as I''m concerned, the longer Rivers loss of form ( did he ever have any?) continues, the better. NW has made some great deals, this was''nt one of them!. Henderson and the
youngsters are far better anyway.

How many more chances do you give him?. City should get rid of him now, before other teams in the lower divisions suss him out, and won''t want to bid for him, don''t forget its Christmas soon!. And with the money saved, all going to the Huckerby fund.

When you have been out injured or dropped, and a player who has come in has performed well, the onus is on the player coming back to fight for his position again. Sadly Rivers is one of those players, like Easton, who in my opinion are not fighters, and cannot seem to give 100% in every game. Both of them undoubtedly have skill and can create chances but you know that at best they will only do it for part of the game.

Henderson on the other hand is still inexperienced, but you know that he will still be chasing, closing down players and tackling up until the 90th minute. In tight matches when you are holding onto a lead or a draw, then you need those sort of qualities from all your players, especially the midfield and forwards.

I can see those qualities in players like Huckerby, McVeigh, Crouch, Jarvis, Holt, Francis, Mulryne and even Roberts at the age of 35. Unfortunately I do not see those qualities in Rivers and Easton at present.

I can hear some people say that Rivers is a creative and attacking player and not a defender, but unfortunately in todays modern game you must also have those additional qualities if you want to be a regular first team player.

I have to agree about his lack of committment - and for an ''attacking'' player two assists in the last season and a half tells its own story.

However he did start this season exceptionally well, he just needs to recapture that form and he will return in place of Henderson who is more inconsistent that Rivers.

OTBC

He has the ability - there is no doubt about that. So there''s one reason not to keep comparing him with Easton. I for one still think he can do a job for us. But i once heard that he smoked and this was part of the problem with his fitness. Does anyone know if this is true and if he still does? If so then i take everything back and he should go. I find it incomprehensible that a professional footballer, who has problems with his fitness, should smoke. Also, there''s a very amusing report in the away fans match report section from the Rotheram match where the author says the highlight of the game for the away team was when he heard Fleming shouting down the line, "Rivers, you''re a c***!" Suggests a certain amount of disharmony between him and the team!