Sign in to follow this  
The Mysterious Owl

What is the Ricoh Arena like?

Thinking of going to the Coventry game (yes im a so called ''Binner'') and have never been to the Ricoh before? What are its positives and negatives? Good view/seating/parking etc etc ? All help much appreciated.

Hi scummer!View is good if your at top/middle try and avoid sitting at front = terrible view. Lots of parking spaces near the ground and food is pretty expensive.

full of 14 yr old chavs who congeragate in the corners. no atmosphere from home fans, away fans allowed big numbers so we usually take 4k there which adds to our atmosphere. underneath plenty space, sky tele so if good prem 12.45 ko worth getting there early with the empty bar

carparking is shite, we went on carpark opposite ground and got charged £10 last season. joke. year before that we parked on side dual carriageway. dont do this. police watched us park there at 1.30pm and there till 2.00pm when we went off inside the ground with no mention of not being allowed park there. around 15mins in the game tannoy announced cars have to be moved or fined. dad went out move it immediatly and every car had been fined. so basically they waited on purpose which tad harsh. if get their early some parking off road by industrial estate by macro

Easy to park near the ground as it''s one of those new stadiums built outside the City. Unfortunately that obviously means there''s little in the way of pubs without walking for ages, but you can get overpriced lager in the ground which was a bit of a consolation for me when i went!

The view was superb, but i was about three quarters of the way back, though the Coventry fans are awful and don''t seem to sing at all. Your lot should feel quite at home! ;o) But seriously, the acoustics didn''t impress me. Seems far too echoey to really build the noise much.

But yeah, lots of stupid chav kids looking for a fight after the game, especially in and around the large Tescos.

Carrow Road is somewhat similar these days Chris. Not the place it used to be, that''s for sure!

But our away support is still superb, so that''s okay.

Away days bring the true fans and the true atmosphere. Always prefer sitting amongst 2000 true fans singing their heart out than 20,000 (I wish I could say 30,000) average fans. Any singing in teh Britannia stand at Portman Road is frowned up heavily.

[quote user="chris nunn"]Thinking of going to the Coventry game (yes im a so called ''Binner'') and have never been to the Ricoh before? What are its positives and negatives? Good view/seating/parking etc etc ? All help much appreciated.[/quote]

Well I went to the ricoh with my son on the opening game of the season, and I said to him This place reminds me of Ipswich ground he said why, I said EMPTY

the crowd if you can call it that were dotted all around the place and it looked like flakey paint everywhere

[quote user="chris nunn"]Thanks for your help and even I can admit that the atmosphere at Portman Road against derby yesterday was shocking. I felt bad tying my shoelace up in case it created too much noise.[/quote]

lol classic.  CR isn''t much better lately for atmosphere.  Anyhow enjoy the RA.

Never been to the ricoh but went to highfield road in our promotion season... stood right at the very back (anyone who has been there will know that the away end was shocking!) it was basically a step, my seat was wonky and i stood all game as the stewards couldnt tell any fans in the middle of the away end to sit down...

Some coventry fan spent the whole first half making gestures at me and trying to wind me up all game, much to me and my mates delight and humour.. we spent the entire half laughing at him...

When Gary holt got the first goal the chap went ballistic and was making even more gestures! it got to half time and he went to get a drink with the group of mates he was with.. he never emerged for the 2nd half so i can only imagine they were embaressed to the point they drowned him in the toilet...

jas :)

Only went this season because it was the first game of the season. The place is characterless, lacking home atmosphere, but if your crew are in good numbers you can make it your own. The place could be anywhere, a really boring out of town location...Football grounds used to give you a sense of the area you are visiting, a cultural tour of England which sadly is disappearing.