Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Some belated thoughts on yesterday

First chance to post since the game. Can''t believe some of the negativity on here. Personally for me thought it was one of the best away games for ages in all sorts of respects. We never win at the City Ground in recent times and to do so with 10 men for 70 minutes is not to be sniffed at. Thought technically we looked a good side and knocked it around pretty well. For the first 20 minutes I thought we were well in control and looked by far the better team. After the sending off (opened up far too easily) we had to play differently but still kept them at arms length reasonably comfortably in the second half. Croft and Bell both look great on the flanks. Clingan was outstanding and Marshall had a blinder. Al of the other two worked well.But the really, really big thing for me about yesterdays game was it was the first time i ages i''ve seen some genuine spririt and desire from both players and fans. The players were well up for it and at the end they went mad with the supporters. We have not had that type of bond with our players for ages and hopefully this can be something of a turning point. As for the fans I just thought the turnout and the support was excellent. I was expecting there to be about 500 of us so when I got in the ground and saw more than 3 times that amount I was amazed. More imortantly though everyone appeared to be well up for it and the vast majority were absolutely hammered which made for a fantastic atmosphere in the away end. More 5.20 kick-offs please!

i find it quite strange how everybody who went to the game thought it was a very good battling victory with 10 men and were proud of the side yet plenty who saw it on the box were dissappointed and felt we were lucky.

Of course we had luck and were indebted to Marshall a couple of times but we had 10 men for 70mins away from for christ sake, were we really going to walk it? 

[quote user="ncfc_chris"]

i find it quite strange how everybody who went to the game thought it was a very good battling victory with 10 men and were proud of the side yet plenty who saw it on the box were dissappointed and felt we were lucky.

Of course we had luck and were indebted to Marshall a couple of times but we had 10 men for 70mins away from for christ sake, were we really going to walk it? 

[/quote]

I watched on tv and thought we were excellent. People like Wiz are not worth worrying about.Too many people with too many agendas.At the end of the day its the football that matters

maybe because the majoriy of us who were there have been to most away games and are grateful for what we can get. There is a big difference sometimes between our performances at home and those away. Bearing in mind the last away game was Burnley and they slumped off to chants of "what a load of rubbish", I think both fans and players had a right to be a bit happier with the performances of each other.

I was pleased with the result and the fighting spirit we showed with only 10 men.

Well done lads.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]First chance to post since the game. Can''t believe some of the negativity on here. Personally for me thought it was one of the best away games for ages in all sorts of respects. We never win at the City Ground in recent times and to do so with 10 men for 70 minutes is not to be sniffed at. Thought technically we looked a good side and knocked it around pretty well. For the first 20 minutes I thought we were well in control and looked by far the better team. After the sending off (opened up far too easily) we had to play differently but still kept them at arms length reasonably comfortably in the second half. Croft and Bell both look great on the flanks. Clingan was outstanding and Marshall had a blinder. Al of the other two worked well.

But the really, really big thing for me about yesterdays game was it was the first time i ages i''ve seen some genuine spririt and desire from both players and fans. The players were well up for it and at the end they went mad with the supporters. We have not had that type of bond with our players for ages and hopefully this can be something of a turning point. As for the fans I just thought the turnout and the support was excellent. I was expecting there to be about 500 of us so when I got in the ground and saw more than 3 times that amount I was amazed. More imortantly though everyone appeared to be well up for it and the vast majority were absolutely hammered which made for a fantastic atmosphere in the away end. More 5.20 kick-offs please!
[/quote]

If hammered means too much to drink, then you are gilding the lily'' somewhat Jim! Yes there were a few that had clearly been on the sherbet, which I suspect included you (and good luck to you!) but I think that the vast majority of us were just, as you describe Jim, "UP FOR IT".

Another top post Jim. Agreed with all your comments.

To those who watched on TV and were not so enthusiastic about our performance, perhaps it''s because you can tend to miss a lot of movement off the ball on the tellie..... and yes, we actually did create some movement off the ball for a change! We kept our shape and in the main looked comfortable on the ball.

Jim

I think you have made a good case for going to games! I have to say I never can get that excited watching on TV. Winning away from home does create a bond - there is no doubt about that. Whether it''s totally responsible for expecting us all to get drunk before attending any match....though I am sure the hardened away fan does it as a matter of course, considering our away form over the season.

The fans were excellent. Could hear them all game. Looked fantastic as well in the shots we were able to see (most of the shots of the crowd were of empty red seats).

It is not the same being unable to go to games, I have been an exiled fan in the past and it''s hard to feel part of the club in the same way. Agonising as it is. At the moment following the club on the internet or radio must be very difficult. Have to admit being part of the louder part of the Barclay helps me and lifts my spirits at home matches. Though admittedly away games are special for winning against the odds. Glad you enjoyed the day.

[quote user="Jim Smith"].............. More imortantly though everyone appeared to be well up for it and the vast majority were absolutely hammered which made for a fantastic atmosphere in the away end. More 5.20 kick-offs please!
[/quote]

Yes, absolutely hammered is really the only way to watch NCFC at the moment.

Perhaps we should get the home games switched to 5.20 kick-offs too so there''s time to get a bit more anaesthetic on board..... 

ncfc-chris - It may have something to do with the fact that those who watched it on telly have the benefit of seeing the goals/important elements (saves, misses etc) over and over again and from various angles. Elated at the win, but keeping my feet on the ground until we go on a decent run. Yes we had 10 men, but Forest have got to be the poorest, youngest most inexperienced team we have played this season, and despite the win Marshall was way busier than Camp, thank goodness he was on form.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]ncfc-chris - It may have something to do with the fact that those who watched it on telly have the benefit of seeing the goals/important elements (saves, misses etc) over and over again and from various angles. Elated at the win, but keeping my feet on the ground until we go on a decent run. Yes we had 10 men, but Forest have got to be the poorest, youngest most inexperienced team we have played this season, and despite the win Marshall was way busier than Camp, thank goodness he was on form.[/quote]

agree Forest were very very poor but the side has to be given credit for battling away for 70+mins with 10men away from home