Sign in to follow this  
Taxing

New Watford manager appointed but not Malky.

Rodgers named new Watford manager

Brendan Rodgers

Rodgers has enjoyed a successful spell on Chelsea''s coaching staff

Watford have named Chelsea reserve-team coach Brendan Rodgers, 35, as their new manager, following Aidy Boothroyd''s recent departure.

It will be Rodgers'' first experience of management at first-team level.

Caretaker boss Malky Mackay stays on at the Championship club as first-team coach, and will be in charge for Tuesday''s game at Bristol City.

Former West Ham player and assistant manager Frank Lampard Snr joins the Hornets as a football consultant.

"Frank is someone I have known for a little while now - he has some great experience," Rodgers told Watford''s website.

"He is a football man, an honest man and a loyal man. When you are a young manager, those are the key qualities you want in someone who is your mentor.

606: DEBATE

Teddster123
"Our relationship came through young Frank, who I worked with at Chelsea."

Rodgers, who is from Northern Ireland, was youth academy director at Reading before his move to Stamford Bridge in 2004, where he impressed as Chelsea''s youth academy director before taking over the reserve side.

Boothroyd left Vicarage Road by mutual consent on 3 November after a poor start to the league campaign, following three-and-a-half years in charge.

Mackay has been in caretaker charge for the last four games and has overseen two wins, including the 3-0 home victory over QPR on Saturday.

"There is absolutely no doubt that Malky''s going to be a top manager for the future," Rodgers added.

"He''s very important to my management team, and I hope to be able to help him."

The Hornets lie 21st in the Championship, two points clear of the relegation zone, but have reached the Carling Cup quarter-finals, where they will face Tottenham.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]Good, can''t we go after the big man now?[Y][/quote]

We should never have got rid of him in the first place, or Iwan.......... or Huckerby. I know, I know, cries of "Get over it" and "Move on" !

[quote user="1st Wizard"]Good, can''t we go after the big man now?[Y][/quote]It''s not often I actually agree with a post by Wiz.....Would love him back here in some capacity - although not sure whether he''s ready for management yet.

A strange appointment for Watford, getting Brendan Rogers in, who has on his football CV  the experience of running an academy and working with reserves and youth team players.

Er, maybe not, as that’s what they did when they offered Ade Boothroyd the job in March 2005. And they got very lucky winning promotion to the Premiership the following season. Doubt they''ll get so lucky again.

My only interest in them, as my nearest away game, is hoping they stay in the same division as City.

seems odd appointment to me

malky deserved a shot but i understand if they bought in say a billy davies who available but not a coach of another side

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

A strange appointment for Watford, getting Brendan Rogers in, who has on his football CV  the experience of running an academy and working with reserves and youth team players.

Er, maybe not, as that’s what they did when they offered Ade Boothroyd the job in March 2005. And they got very lucky winning promotion to the Premiership the following season. Doubt they''ll get so lucky again.

My only interest in them, as my nearest away game, is hoping they stay in the same division as City.

[/quote]Huh... strange... i spend my life hoping to see plymouth relegated!