Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Had to chuckle at Sky soccer saturday...

Did anyone watch the programme on Saturday where there was a feature on the state of things at Luton Town and their battle for league survival.That is the Luton who wents into administration and had a huge points deduction.

There was then a debate with the pundits in the studio as to how they could possibly survive and reference was made to the "ridiculous" situation of having nine loan players.

So i take it that nine is ridiculous but eight is the only way forward!

[quote user="blahblahblah"]What''s the alternative Tilly ? 8 league one hoofers that you "own" ?[/quote]

It''s quite a good tactic when trying to make a point Blah but lifes never quite that black and white is it?

How about the middle ground approach based on fewer top quality loans mixed in with some youth and promising talent from the lower leagues? A bit like our promotion season in fact.  

[quote]How about the middle ground approach based on fewer top quality loans mixed in with some youth and promising talent from the lower leagues? A bit like our promotion season in fact. [/quote]

Now that sounds like a good alternative.  Which youth players are good enough ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Did anyone watch the programme on Saturday where there was a feature on the state of things at Luton Town and their battle for league survival.That is the Luton who wents into administration and had a huge points deduction.

There was then a debate with the pundits in the studio as to how they could possibly survive and reference was made to the "ridiculous" situation of having nine loan players.

So i take it that nine is ridiculous but eight is the only way forward!

[/quote]

Perhaps if they had also discussed the salary budget at Luton, John, that might have given you some perspective.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]How about the middle ground approach based on fewer top quality loans mixed in with some youth and promising talent from the lower leagues? A bit like our promotion season in fact. [/quote]

Now that sounds like a good alternative.  Which youth players are good enough ?

[/quote]

Ok fair enough, it was abit of a a glib reply and the true answer is "none of them", which rather opens up another set of concerns.

My point was really that we do seem to have invested heavily in the loanee market at the expence of other avenues. I wouldn''t have felt there was much between Spilaine and Troy for instance, or Shakell and Kennedy or Drury and Bertrand, or Semmy and Omozusi. Sure they bring quality in some areas but their influence is transient and debatable in others.  

[quote]I wouldn''t have felt there was much between Spilaine and Troy for instance, or Shakell and Kennedy or Drury and Bertrand, or Semmy and Omozusi. [/quote]

With Spillaine and Shackell, could that difference have been the willingness to work for Roeder ?  Only reason I ask is that they aren''t here now.  From what I''ve seen, I think Semmy should get a run in the team ahead of Omosuzi, but I guess Roeder thinks that giving Omosuzi a run of games will knock the rough edges off his game and make him the better player.  With Drury and Bertrand, you need both as one covers for the other.  The competition will keep Drury fresh, he had been the only player in that position for too long before Bertrand arrived.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]What''s the alternative Tilly ? 8 league one hoofers that you "own" ?[/quote]How about 6 established Championship quality players bolstered with a couple of ''inbetweenies''  that we own? It''s not like we haven''t had the money to buy them in recent years we just chose to spend it on erm........ other things.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Sounds great Prisoner - how would you achieve that in one summer ?[/quote]

Now come on Blah you know you wont get a reasoned response to a question like that!!