Sign in to follow this  
Delia, When Do I Start??

Player Ratings Vs Nottingham Forest

I watched the game today on Sky and from what I saw these are my own personal ratings of each player. I dont think the performance was very good but im not going to moan at the win[:D]

[*]MARSHALL[*] 9 - without him today we would have lost and would have had nothing to show for it. Brilliant saves and his best one of the day from the freekick when he saw it late.

Omozusi 5 - he didn''t do much today and was caught out of position a few too many times and deserved to be substituted.

Doherty 6 - he did all he had to do with minimal fuss but was sent off after 20 minutes for a last man tackle

Kennerdy 6 - he did what he had to do and was like kennerdy always is

Bertrand 6 - lucky to be playing today because of his performance vs swansea, but he like Omozusi was caught out too many times for a premiership player.

Croft 8 - he ran his socks off today and put in a cracking ball for the own goal.

Clingan 8 - up against his former team he played well and was versatile to move to defence later in the game

Hoolahan 6 - was unable to do anything in his time on the pitch but in his best position and can''t wait to see more of him from that position

Pattison 7 - scored a goal and had a good flick to start a build up for the second. He would have liked to contributed more though.

Bell 7 - played the ball for norwich 1st goal and that was about it was unable to get into the game playing on the left side of midfield.

Lita 5 - he was useless today chased nothing and looked bored as if he didn''t was to be there. He was poor with his back to goal and not worth paying £25,000 a week for, would rather have seen lupoli play! 

It was like watching those who were giving everything for Norwich which included Marshall 9, Kennedy 7, Doherty 7, Clingan 9, Croft 8, Bell 7, Pattison 7, and Hoolahan, 7 whilst he was on the pitch. 

Then there were those who didn''t look as though they were up for the fight which included Omosuzi 5, Bertrand 5, Lita 4, Otsemebor,5 and Fotheringham, 4.

Marshall   9   Superb, made save after save, kept us in it, and saved our shambolic back four. Unfortunate goal.

Omozusi   4   Awful. Didnt mark when at right back, and just got worse at centre half. Whats the point in having him instead of semmy?

Bertrand   4   Awful. Didnt mark, it appeared their right winger was given the freedom of Nottingham; and although attacking instincts are good; he goit caught out foar too many times overlapping. The BBD campaign starts here...Bring Back Drury!

Kennedy   6   Suffering from Doherty Sydrome, as caught by Pearce and Shackall most recently. Didnt looked the player he was earlier in season, clumsy, nervous - made mistakes. better in 2nd half, perhaps helped by not playing with someone who seems to have a bad affect on thsoe around him.

Doherty   4   Was struggling before being sent off....

Croft   5/7=6   Poor first half, wasnt in it; but was better in 2nd half and offered much needed legs in last 10 minutes Still must do more.

Hoolahan   Showed enough in his cameo to show he can do a job.

Bell   7   Looks a classy player, neat touches. The sort of player we havent had for a while.

Clingan   6 /9  Sloppy first half i thought, but awesomne in 2nd, both in midfield and then did a much needed job at the back.

Pattison   7   Took his goal well, generally sold, but still gives it away cheaply and loses his man a bit too much for my liking

Lita 7   Didnt get much of a sniff, but his terier like hard work didnt go unnotixced by me.

Subs Fozzy   7   We needed his perhaps negative keep ball style in 2nd half, and his pressure forced goal.

Semmy   6   Sound Job, looked better out there then omozusi but still struggled a bit at times.

[quote user="silver fox"]

Then there were those who didn''t look as though they were up for the fight which included  Lita 4 and Fotheringham, 4.

[/quote]

Muppet

[quote user="Huddy "]

Marshall   9   Superb, made save after save, kept us in it, and saved our shambolic back four. Unfortunate goal.

Omozusi   4   Awful. Didnt mark when at right back, and just got worse at centre half. Whats the point in having him instead of semmy?

Bertrand   4   Awful. Didnt mark, it appeared their right winger was given the freedom of Nottingham; and although attacking instincts are good; he goit caught out foar too many times overlapping. The BBD campaign starts here...Bring Back Drury!

Kennedy   6   Suffering from Doherty Sydrome, as caught by Pearce and Shackall most recently. Didnt looked the player he was earlier in season, clumsy, nervous - made mistakes. better in 2nd half, perhaps helped by not playing with someone who seems to have a bad affect on thsoe around him.

Croft   5/7=6   Poor first half, wasnt in it; but was better in 2nd half and offered much needed legs in last 10 minutes Still must do more.

Bell   7   Looks a classy player, neat touches. The sort of player we havent had for a while.

Clingan   6 /9  Sloppy first half i thought, but awesomne in 2nd, both in midfield and then did a much needed job at the back.

Pattison   7   Took his goal well, generally sold, but still gives it away cheaply and loses his man a bit too much for my liking

Lita 7   Didnt get much of a sniff, but his terier like hard work didnt go unnotixced by me.

Subs Fozzy   7   We needed his perhaps negative keep ball style in 2nd half, and his pressure forced goal.

Semmy   6   Sound Job, looked better out there then omozusi but still struggled a bit at times.

[/quote]

I''d pretty much agree with these ratings. I can''t quite fathom how people are slating Lita for his performance tonight. He''s not the tallest, but made himself a pain in the arse by closing down and chasing.

Bell looked very confident in the first half, but some of his passes across the back line in the second made me a tad nervous.

Semmy - ''struggled a bit''? Made Doherty look cultured. Admittedly I''m not a season ticketer but from those I know I was waiting to dispute their views of his defensive ability. They were wrong, he''s worse than that, and appeared to not give a t*ss into the bargain.

[quote user="silver fox"]

It was like watching those who were giving everything for Norwich which included Marshall 9, Kennedy 7, Doherty 7, Clingan 9, Croft 8, Bell 7, Pattison 7, and Hoolahan, 7 whilst he was on the pitch. 

Then there were those who didn''t look as though they were up for the fight which included Omosuzi 5, Bertrand 5, Lita 4, Otsemebor,5 and Fotheringham, 4.

[/quote]Completely agree with this statement. The only one I would perhaps question is Lita who although didn''t seem to be able to control the ball / lay off the ball to another city player in the second halve must have been frustrated...It ain''t halve difficult playing upfront by yourself when you''ve lost your main link up player (hoolahan) especially when that''s not his game

Pretty similar to you ratings Polo.......

1) Marshall.......9. Despite being at fault for the Forest equaliser he made 5 fine saves toinight: free kick especially. Even outclassed the outstaning Camp which is saying something!

2) Omozuzi.......6. Dont think he was half as bad as people are making out. Even at CB looked fairly comfortable enough.

3) Kennedy.......7. Made a couple of crucial tackles and overall looked quality tonight.

4) Docs.......6. Did well up until the red. Could have cost us the game but also saved us conceding an almost certain goal. Still as clumsy as ever but I love the baffon.

5) Berty.......6. Not a great performance from what used to be such a promising player. Prob our worst starter toninght. Passing was a bit lax and struggled getting forward.

6) Pattison.....7. Battled all night and finally broke his goal duck. Cant knock him even though I want to.

7) Clingan.......9 (MOTM). Are there any boundaries to what this man can do? Excellent in midfield and at CB. Quite simply awsome. We arelucky to have him in our team.

8) Croft........7. Again lacked that final delivery but much improved. He quite cleraly loves wearing to Yellow shirt. Please Croft, lets have a good performance against Palace!! Please please please!! One more time PLEASE!!

9) Bell.......8. What a wonderful find. He wouldnt look out of place in any Premiership outfit. If only he had Crofts dribbling qualities he would be one hell of a player!!

10) Lita.......5. Little impact. Needed to impose him self on the game more. Though to be fair he worked his betties off.

11) Hoolahan.......7. At last a telling performance from the Irishman. I think we may have found somewhere on the pitch where he may shine. Shame he had to come off.

Subs:

Otsemobor.......6. Did ok but nothing outstanding. Solid.

Fotheringham.......6. Didnt really notice him tbh. But I suppose his presence contributed to the equaliser. Credit where creditd due.

[quote user="Huddy "]

[/quote]

Pretty much agree with that....................  would add:

Referee               10      Excellent game and got all the key decisions correct, over-ruling his linesman who gave a penalty for Doherty''s challenge

Norwich Fans      10      Could hear them for most of the game and really looked like they were enjoying themselves

Mark .Y.

Marshall 8 - Made a string of top quality saves, and aside from his slip for their equaliser, didn''t really put a foot wrong all match.

Omozusi 4 - Looked totally baffled at being asked to actually mark players, and relied instead on his pace to try to recover his poor positioning, a very weak performance.

Doherty 3 - Dear god, how many games has this man cost us in the past, and nearly did so again yesterday. Got battered for pace by the forest players and had just escaped from some dire defending in the box before his hack ''em down nonsense. No amount of commitment can make up for how slow, clumsy and generally poor Doherty has been virtually every game I''ve seen from him.

Kennerdy 7 - Very solid performance from a player who fully demonstrated exactly how a good centre half should tackle, if only we could get him permanently.

Bertrand 5 - Still can''t believe this is the same player from last season, was poor defensively, offered little support to bell from an attacking perspective, and his 2 shots were terrible, on current form MUST be replaced by Drury.

Croft 8.5 - MOM for me, was a pain for Forest to deal with for the full 90 minutes, made some good runs down the wing, wasn''t afraid to take on the Forest players and his distribution was slightly better than usual, on this peformance, he fully deserves the right wing berth.

Clingan 8 - Pretty quiet in the first half compared to his normal standards, but was very strong in the second, particularly after being switched to centre half. Becoming a real asset to the team and clearly first choice for the defensive role in midfield.

Hoolahan 6 - Showed a few good touches and potential in his short time on the pitch.

Pattison 7 - Judged purely on his first half performance, I''d have given him an 8, as he got stuck in well and played very much for the team and took his goal really well, unfortunately his disappeared for long periods in the second half and seemed nowhere near as effective, real shame as he could have been challenging for MOM if he''d continued in his first half vein..

Bell 6.5 - Being fair, he didn''t do anything wrong, and put a couple of good balls in the area, but to me is suffering from being played on the left as he just doesn''t look anywhere near as comfortable as he does on the right.

Lita 6 - Like Pattison, I thought he had a better first half than second, and was a thorn in the side for both Forest centre halves, had Hoolahan been there to support, I think he could have grabbed a goal or two. Very disappointing in the second half though and felt he should have been replaced before the end.SubsOtsemobor 6 - Was stronger than both Bertrand and Omozusi, but still wasn''t one of his better games. Suffered from covering inside more with Omozusi on the right, should be our first choice right back tbh as he normally links very well with Croft.Fotheringham 5 - Total non-entity after being brought on, at one point I spend nearly 5 mins trying to see if he was still on the pitch or off injured...A shadow of the player he was in parts last season.Overall a decent performance, particularly first half, even after being reduced to 10 men, but looked outclassed in periods by an average Forest side. Whilst they were lucky with their equaliser, we were also lucky with the winner and I actually felt a draw would have been a fair result, but I''ll not turn down 3 points away. The clear weak point however is the defence, and for me this is the area we need to work on the most. I''d bring Drury in on the left as I feel he''s far stronger from a defensive perspective than Bertrand, which is certainly needed with Bell''s lack of covering back (just like Hucks). Otsemobor is clearly the better choice at right back IMHO, we just need someone solid next to Kennedy. With Dejan being out, I''d have liked to have given Spillane a chance, but I do fear for us if we have to rely on Doherty as Kennedy''s defensive partner.

Can''t believe the criticism of Lita. Playing as the lone outlet upfront in a 10 man side is one of the most thankless tasks in football. All you can do is make a nuisance of yourself when their defenders have the ball, and be available and hold the ball up to give your defence a break when your side has it.I thought Lita did both of those things pretty well, and got great support from Bell and Crofty,who had one of his best games.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]

Doherty 3 - Dear god, how many games has this man cost us in the past, and nearly did so again yesterday. Got battered for pace by the forest players and had just escaped from some dire defending in the box before his hack ''em down nonsense. No amount of commitment can make up for how slow, clumsy and generally poor Doherty has been virtually every game I''ve seen from him.

With Dejan being out, I''d have liked to have given Spillane a chance, but I do fear for us if we have to rely on Doherty as Kennedy''s defensive partner.
[/quote]

What an utterly ridiculous assessment.

Thoroughly enjoyed watching the game last night! Being an avid ''armchair supporter'', that was the first time I''ve seen the boys play ''in the flesh'' this season. Not sure if this point has been covered before, but I noticed that Roeder seemed to be spending a lot of time at the edge of the technical area, shouting orders and waving his arms about (as managers do!) From what I''ve read on here and listening to Radio Naaaaarfolk every week, he usually comes down to the dugout when things are going wrong. Surely this has to help the team, when they''re getting constant instructions from the man supposed to be ''managing'' them? Could Roeder have helped with the result last night, more than he usually does? Also was very happy when I saw the line-up with Bell, Croft and Hoolahoop playing in the middle in more of a free role. Obvously a shame when he had to come off, as I was looking forward to seeing how that panned out. Maybe Roeder is starting to listen? Just curious I guess! After watching that, I''m looking forward even more to my first foray into Carrow Road this season on Tuesday night!(Tin hat prepared!)OTBC

I dont think there was much more Lita could have done to tell the truth.

He lost Hoolahan who was his only really attacking partner, so he was down the middle by himself. He rans for balls, held up play very well I thought, and had a big part in the 2nd goal.

Lita played well , he was giving the two forest centre backs some real headaches with his positioning in the first half, I notice Roeder has implemented Harry Redknapp''s system at Norwich now with two defensive minded midfielders in a 4-5-1 although for most of the game it was 4-4-1. * On a random noteHow many times do teams who are down to ten men beat teams with eleven ? Could there actually be a logical explanation ? is it something to do with the balance of the side on the pitch or maybe it works as a good psychological tool ? I think a sunday league team should experiment with ten men for half of it''s games and eleven for the other half (given they would be allowed to do this by local officals) and see what the results are, might be something in it .

was at the game and can''t beleive some of the ratings players have been given, especially Lita.

We looked very lively in the first 10minutes but then had the doc sent off, when you''ve got 10 men away from home do some of you really expect us to go out and really attack forest? Kennedy was superb at the back in the 2nd half and the midfield really did put a lot of work in protecting the back 4 and supporting Lita when possible, who ran his heart out and made sure the forest defenders didn''t have an easy afternoon.

Marshall - 9, some great saves, was always going to be needed once Doc was sent off

Omozusi - 6, the odd positional mistake but is quick and did well overall

Bertrand - 6, pretty similar to Omo, he gets dragged out a bit too easily and backs off but has pace and links well with Bell

Kennedy - 7, shakey at times but held the back 4 together in the 2nd half, winning numerous headers and sweeping up, remember 1 superb last ditch tackle

Doc - 5, didn''t do much wrong but the whole defence was caught out by the ball forward and he had no choice but to try and make the tackle

Croft - 8, caused Heath a few problems but what impressed me most was his defensive work to win the ball around our area and then carry it forward into their half.

Clingan - 8, just does the basics so well, very rarely gives the ball away and can battle, slotted in easily at the back, the Forest fans didn''t like our "1 sammy clingan! chant

Pattison - 7, ran and ran all day, never gave the forest players a minutes rest and got a crucial goal

Bell - 7, a very classy player, not the quickest but has a great brain and good feet, great spot to see Pattison coming in for the opener

Hoolahan - 6, very unfortunate, the front 4 were looking good early on but he was the only real choice to be sacrificed

Lita - 7, had an impossible job on his own up top after we went down to 10 but he showed great heart and strength to put the forest defence under pressure, was involved in winner i think but it was the far end of the ground

Otsemobor - 6, did what he had to do at full back, didnt have any opportunities to show his attacking qualities

Fozzy - 6, came on and moved into clingans role in midfield, didn''t do anything of note but battled well when we were holding on later in the game, was he the 1 who put the pressure on for the winner?

Roeder - 9, the system with Hoolahan in the hole was working well and made the right decisions when Doc was s/o and Omozusi injured, showed the players are playing for him still

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Indy_Bones"]

With Dejan being out, I''d have liked to have given Spillane a chance, but I do fear for us if we have to rely on Doherty as Kennedy''s defensive partner.[/quote]

What an utterly ridiculous assessment.

[/quote]On what grounds do you make that statement GJP?Doherty has been one of the most discussed players on these forums for the past 2-3 years, with a large majority of posters raising concerns or issues about his defensive qualities.His positioning is often questionable, he''s not blessed with great pace either to make up for this deficiency, and his ''manhandling'' of players is one of the most noticeable parts of his game. His passing is generally limited to simply hoofing it forwards, and he often gives an external appearance of being very nervous and unsure in his role, something which actually seemed to rub off on Shackell after a while.Yesterday''s game was a prime example, he had been caught out twice before the sending off incident which should have been a warning of what was to come, and yet again, he got caught out by a quite straightforward ball, knew he was going to be unable to deal with the situation, so simply hacked the striker down. On another day with a different ref, the penalty would have been given, chances are they would have scored, and I think had that been the case, we''d have had a very different match, and a very different result.It was a poor decision, highlighting Doherty''s failings at the back. Had he stayed on his feet and simply put pressure on the striker, then they would have still had to beat Marshall, and even if the worst had happened and they''d have got the goal, we''d still have had 11 men to fight back with.I simply cannot understand why some fans are so willing to ignore the issues in Doherty''s game, particularly when many players get shredded on here after a few poor/average performances. This guy does it season after season, and is seemingly exempt from criticism, often on the basis of statements such as ''we cant afford anyone better''. Frankly, I disagree completely with this, and we''ve already had players here of superior ability (such as Martin Taylor), who we could have afforded. We''ve also not given most of our younger players any sort of extended run to prove themselves, yet are often willing to totally write them off already. Funny how many other clubs in the league have given their youth a chance, and have almost always benefitted from the choice.I''m sure Doherty is a great bloke, and I can''t question his commitment etc, but he simply isn''t up to the required standard we need to progress, something that was and still is backed up by the complete lack of interest any other club has really shown in him since his move to us - even when his contract was due for renewal. Even Carl Robinson and Andy Hughes managed to get a move...Perhaps now I''ve clarified my position on the player, you''d be willing to give me more than a single sentence reply, containing your own opinion on why you disagree with my assessment?Indy.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]

On what grounds do you make that statement GJP?

Perhaps now I''ve clarified my position on the player, you''d be willing to give me more than a single sentence reply, containing your own opinion on why you disagree with my assessment?

Indy.
[/quote]

Firs things first I''ve cut out most of your post to save a bit of space.

Your opinions on Gary Doherty seem to say that you''ve seen very little of him playing for Norwich over the last 2 or 3 years.

For example, this season I''m sure most fans who have watched him on a regular basis would agree that he''s been defending really well. Which is no surprise because he is a good defender.

You mention that his positioning isn''t great and he''s not blessed with great pace. These points again suggest to me that you haven''t seen him playing much. He''s rarely caught out of position and, although he''s no Thierry Henry, he''s pretty quick across the turf. I think it''d be more accurate to say that he''s not quick on the turn. But it''s rare that you''ll see him get done for pace.

I''m never quite sure on the criticism on his passing as well. It''s not very often at all he gives the ball away. What more do you want from a centreback in the Championship? He keeps it simple. Sure it''d be lovely if he could knock 40 yard difference splitting balls but centrebacks who can do that and are strong defenders at the same time are few and far between.

I mean this season we''ve seen Kennedy, Stefanovic and Doherty as our main choices at centreback and it would have been clear to everyone who watches us on a regular basis that Doherty has been the most convincing out of all 3 of them. Fair enough Dejan has got an eye for a pass that the other two haven''t but then he''s also been the most shakey defensively.

For my money Gary Doherty is one of the better central defenders in our league, it''s just a shame he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and people want to condemn him for it after he''s been on really good form this season.

Just wanted to comment on one thing, and that is your assertion that he is rarely done for pace. I''m not sure about this, although I haven''t seen him this season much my impression of him from years gone by is that this is one of his biggest failings. I am sure I remember that against Tamworth he was regularly being done by non-league players and his lack of pace often causes him to give away free kicks in more dangerous positions than others- he is particularly prone to what happend on Sat- getting caught out by a man running on to a ball and conceding a free kick in a dangerous central position.

BTW, I would much rather have Doc up front instead of Russell and try Russell at the back, should GR ever need to go back to that type of experimentation. When he arrived for a few games he  actually did that role OK and as we have no other fit target men right now.........well who knows.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

Just wanted to comment on one thing, and that is your assertion that he is rarely done for pace. I''m not sure about this, although I haven''t seen him this season much my impression of him from years gone by is that this is one of his biggest failings. I am sure I remember that against Tamworth he was regularly being done by non-league players and his lack of pace often causes him to give away free kicks in more dangerous positions than others- he is particularly prone to what happend on Sat- getting caught out by a man running on to a ball and conceding a free kick in a dangerous central position.

[/quote]

Please don''t take this as some kind of bitchy comment about you not going to games but...

Like you say you haven''t seen him this season and you even say your "impression of him" but for anyone who does watch him regularly it''s rare that he gets done for pace. He reads the game well and he gets across the pitch quickly to get to the ball.

People have built up a picture of Doherty as being a slow and lumbering oaf, which he isn''t.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

BTW, I would much rather have Doc up front instead of Russell and try Russell at the back, should GR ever need to go back to that type of experimentation. When he arrived for a few games he  actually did that role OK and as we have no other fit target men right now.........well who knows.

[/quote]

If the run is a good run, any defender will get caught by it, not just Doc. Secondly, if the player in question is already running, Doc would need to turn and accellerate in order to catch him - damn near impossible for any footballer, let alone a big CB. Thirdly, as GJP states, he''s not particularly quick to get going, but once he gets going, he''s surprisingly quick.

He''s our best, quickest Centre Back. Plus he''s twice as quick as Malky or Fleming, and we did ok with them.

No worries GJP, I haven''t seen him live this season but have done so on many many occasions in the past. I guess I say "impression" because I have never actually analysed it deliberately, but I must admit I had never thought of him as pacy. You and Mook may well be right- I''ll have a closer look next time. Agreed that a standing player can never catch a running player unless blessed of Brian Habana pace but those Tamworth incidents stuck in my mind as I am sure that both striker and defender were tracking back for the through balls. Anyway, I do think that the Doc gets a bad press (and has often been left covering too much when a full back goes missing) but he doesn''t help himself at times.