Sign in to follow this  
koimatsuba

Paterson ... your views?

Hi all

Good win AWAY at last!!!

Anyway ...

Matty Patterson.

Your views, and please don''t just say he''s crap because he''s clearly not!

IMO: Thought his wide roll in the first half against Preston was excellent. Made three or four excellent passes, one that resulted in our goal.
Also his run and shot that hit the post. Really glad he scored against Forest, its what he needed.

Ok so he''s not Beckham or Crook or Hoddle, but at our level and maybe fringing on Prem level he''s a good player. Shows his passion, has some nice passes and can split a defense in-two.
Looks a solid player will less than average injuries, also plays for Norwich city and loves the crowd. Ok so hes not perfect, can have the crap game and seems better slightly wider than in centre midfield.
But to me he''s fast becoming a Full Blown Norwich player and potential great.

Lets not forget he was a Newcastle player, they must have liked him in the first place to have him there.

Well thats my view, we should give credit when its due, to many times do we critise players on forums and yet never post a good review about a player.

Heres to the Palarse game, another MUST win. We need a lot of confidence to boost us up the table and away from this bizarr league position.

Up the City, see you all Tuesday. Wrap up warm!!!

Cheers All

Firstly, it''s Pattison. Paterson plays for Burnley.I think he''s a good, useful player and gets himself into good positions. Had a poor run of form a while ago and lots of people got on his back, admittedly me being one of them. But he''s proved himself to be a great player and a regular first teamer IMO.

Sorry that sounded insensitive. As you can probably tell from my name, it pisses me off when people can''t spell our own players'' names [:)]

I''m slowly warming to him, but i just don''t really see how i class him as a player, or what his role is. Clingan n Rusty hold up the middle, Croft and Bell on the wings, i don''t see what he brings to the table other than a bit of bite. Maybe he''ll start bangin a few goals in if we improve all over and will play well in a team thats playing well, i hope so anyway

[quote user="Elliot Osumuzio"]Firstly, it''s Pattison. Paterson plays for Burnley.

I think he''s a good, useful player and gets himself into good positions. Had a poor run of form a while ago and lots of people got on his back, admittedly me being one of them. But he''s proved himself to be a great player and a regular first teamer IMO.
[/quote]

Sorry that I got his name wrong, If I could edit it I would but I don''t think you can edit a posting let alone the title.

Cheers

pattison seems like one of those utility players we have had, like Andy Hughes for example, however I feel we have a pretty GOOD one for a change. He seems to have bite and had shots at goal and produce some piercing through balls whether he plays on the left, right or in the center.

A definite for the team sheet imo

Seeing as he''s probably usually a back up player for injuries or when others lose form. I think he plays a important role in the current squad. He''s as good as a club in our position can hope for as a back up, he''s not spectacular but he works hard, usually dependable and is versatile across the midfield. Like any player imo while he''s playing well he should keep his place.

I thought he had a decent game yesterday. In the first half especially he combined really well with Bell and Clingan. Scored one, had a hand in the other and his work rate was excellent. I''ve never been a huge fan of his but it''s more important to have eleven players who work well together rather than eleven great players.

When City want to play a high tempo game ,Matty, along with Croft are the men to spearhead the team, not afraid to put their foot into tackles and challenge for everything. Matty shows the way to close the opposition down and despite his lack of height gets up well for the high balls. He has good close skills, but his passing and crossing are areas for improvement. But, as we have seen with his shooting, he is definitely an improving player, and will become a firm favourite with the fans. Sadly he  seems to put on a better performance away from home.

Best I have seen of him, mind you he was dire against Spurs pre-season.  I think he is the sort of player who will be good for a few weeks then dip for a while - sort of consistently inconsistent as it were. 

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]Best I have seen of him, mind you he was dire against Spurs pre-season.  I think he is the sort of player who will be good for a few weeks then dip for a while - sort of consistently inconsistent as it were. [/quote]I think it''s important to remember he is still a young player, who doesnt rely on pace. We probably wont see the best of him for another 2-3 years, where he''ll most likely reach his peak, and gain a level of consistency. He could well be a regular figure in the squad for years to come.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Pboro_Canary"]Best I have seen of him, mind you he was dire against Spurs pre-season.  I think he is the sort of player who will be good for a few weeks then dip for a while - sort of consistently inconsistent as it were. [/quote]

I think it''s important to remember he is still a young player, who doesnt rely on pace. We probably wont see the best of him for another 2-3 years, where he''ll most likely reach his peak, and gain a level of consistency. He could well be a regular figure in the squad for years to come.
[/quote]

[Y] I was about to post exactly the same thing.  People need to factor in his age (21?) when forming an opinion and i think that as he gains more experience and consistancy he`ll become a very good player.  I know it`s "what if`s" but had his 4 or 5 shots which hit the woodwork this season gone in we`d all be talking about him as a valuable goalscoring midfielder.....

Fatty Crapyson hasn''t won me over yet, one goal and one good game doesn''t make him the next best thing since slice bread, he has to perform consistanly home and away and for more than one game, before i start thinking he may be good.

[quote user="Belaugh Yellow"]Fatty Crapyson hasn''t won me over yet, one goal and one good game doesn''t make him the next best thing since slice bread, he has to perform consistanly home and away and for more than one game, before i start thinking he may be good.[/quote]

He`s 21.  How many 21 year-olds are totally consistant?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[quote user="Belaugh Yellow"]Fatty Crapyson hasn''t won me over yet, one goal and one good game doesn''t make him the next best thing since slice bread, he has to perform consistanly home and away and for more than one game, before i start thinking he may be good.[/quote]

He`s 21.  How many 21 year-olds are totally consistant?

[/quote]

Spot on. The lad has had a tough time with loss of form, abuse from supporters and the drink driving thing, but has shown great commitment to the cause. I think he could turn into a very good player, but I think Roeder needs to decide his best position and play him there consistently. I''m also interested to see whether we now get a flurry of goals now he''s finally got the monkey off his back. God knows we need a goal threat from midfield!

[quote user="Belaugh Yellow"]

Ronaldo

[/quote]

Wrong.  Alot of people are saying he`s the shadow of the player he was last season.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]He''s still a convicted drunk driver![:@][/quote]

Sorry Wiz but what the hell has that got to do with his playing ability, goal scoring etc.

He acted stupidly and illegally, he has been punished for it as any one SHOULD be.

I agree with much of the stirring you posts and enjoy them for what they are but moral high ground does not suite your style.

I think the lad has tallent and with the right confidence and consistent playing will add to the team. Whether he gets that from the Boss is another subject.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Belaugh Yellow"]

Ronaldo

[/quote]

Wrong.  Alot of people are saying he`s the shadow of the player he was last season.

[/quote]

Yeah but hes 23 now. When he was twenty one he was consistant and named young player of the year or was that when he was 22.

[quote user="The Butler"]

Sorry Wiz but what the hell has that got to do with his playing ability, goal scoring etc.

He acted stupidly and illegally, he has been punished for it as any one SHOULD be.

I agree with much of the stirring you posts and enjoy them for what they are but moral high ground does not suite your style.

I think the lad has tallent and with the right confidence and consistent playing will add to the team. Whether he gets that from the Boss is another subject.

[/quote]

Say that to the Plymouth goalkeepers dead victims Butler!...........and as a driver who advocated and supports a total zero limit, I will not forget or indeed forgive a person who puts booze above safety.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Say that to the Plymouth goalkeepers dead victims Butler!...........and as a driver who advocated and supports a total zero limit, I will not forget or indeed forgive a person who puts booze above safety.

[/quote]

I would not dream of saying that Wiz, the guy was a total........... No punishment will ever bring that family peace.

My point was that in this instance luckily no harm was done, that was taken into account and punished accordingly. He was a kid acting without thought it seems, have we in the passed not acted without thought, and luckily got away with it. Or are you to old to remember?

At present the law is precise on amounts and actions. Until that law changes then punishment is set.

The discussion was about footballing ability, if you start bringing up players inteligence, etc than it''s a different subject.

Many of the old footballers drank to excess and several pulled over and cautioned . The law was different then, did it make them bad players?

A lot of the old cup team were regulaly MERRY after games they certainly did not walk home!! Different life and values then I suppose.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would not dream of saying that Wiz, the guy was a total........... No punishment will ever bring that family peace.

My point was that in this instance luckily no harm was done, that was taken into account and punished accordingly. He was a kid acting without thought it seems, have we in the passed not acted without thought, and luckily got away with it. Or are you to old to remember?

At present the law is precise on amounts and actions. Until that law changes then punishment is set.

The discussion was about footballing ability, if you start bringing up players inteligence, etc than it''s a different subject.

Many of the old footballers drank to excess and several pulled over and cautioned . The law was different then, did it make them bad players?

A lot of the old cup team were regulaly MERRY after games they certainly did not walk home!! Different life and values then I suppose.

[/quote]

Your points are very valid Butler, but I can''t forget this issue I have with MP, I''ll never change my mind on it even if I tried hard.

And of course my ''issues'' stop me from ever liking him.[:|]

I like him.  He works hard, and, as has been said, has bite.  Every team needs a bit of bite in midfield, and we tend to look better with him than without.  Plus, he''s not afraid to shoot, and hasn''t been all season, even when he couldn''t seem to score, which is more than can be said for one or two others.  And, he''s young, and ours.    He can only get better.

[quote user="Empty Mirror"]I like him.  He works hard, and, as has been said, has bite.  Every team needs a bit of bite in midfield, and we tend to look better with him than without.  Plus, he''s not afraid to shoot, and hasn''t been all season, even when he couldn''t seem to score, which is more than can be said for one or two others.  And, he''s young, and ours.    He can only get better.[/quote]

I disagree we look better when he isnt in the squad and russel and clingan are running the midfield, yes he shoots but more ofton than not he misses by a long way.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

what a stupid and immature comment! why relate a football topic to that? it is a completely differant scenario from pattisons anyway