Sign in to follow this  
The Mysterious Owl

Best away ground in Championship?

Following on from my post on the Ricoh Arena in your opinions what is your favourite away ground? Everything comes into consideration from tickets prices to surrounding pubs. This excludes Carrow Road and Portman Road.

Any views?

Hillsboro is a historic ground with some character.. i actually like the Hawthornes as a ground too... even though i have never seen us win there!

jas :)

I hate Hillsborough. Never an atmosphere with home fans as your so far away. I liked Leicester and Hull last season for atmosphere. As for nicest ground, yeah Ricoh is nice but they are never anywhere near filling it. I like the Madjedski Stadium.

[quote user="jay kay"]i do adore hillsborough, i quite like barnsley as well, dont quite know why. [/quote]I rather like barnsley aswell, I think It''s something to do with being there on the day they got relegated a few years back

[quote user="jay kay"]i do adore hillsborough, i quite like barnsley as well, dont quite know why.
[/quote]

Probably the fact that we have a very good record at Oakwell. I like Hillsborough as well a proper football ground.

[quote user="ncfc_chris"]My favourite is Hillsborough, i can;t stand all the new grounds who no character[/quote]

Shame you cant get a beer there, or I might agree with you, but then hardly surprising given its history. The Leppings Lane end is a great stand for a good turn out of visitors, but what spoils it for me is the tiny exits out of the stand and they give me a sense of the terror that happened there on that fateful FA Cup semi final day in 1989

Hillsbrough is a nice, old, big ground, but the post''s that get in the way are so annoying, I have only been there once and I couldn''t see one half of the goal because of a stupid post.  I have to say those post''s have put me off going again, but I will go some day again.

As for my favourite ground the Ricoh and Pride park are probably my favourites I also liked Loftus Road but I was front row of the upper tier which gives you a great view, if I had sat somewhere else I may had thought differently.

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"]Best ground to be away FROM = Selhurst Park ![/quote]

Everyone says that about Sellhurst Park, I have never been there, but what is so bad about it?

vicarage rd watford  easy to park  going again for about the tenth time in a couple of weeks  never forget when we won the league there in the 70s 

As far as value for money goes then I''m afraid I have to say Molyneux. The stadium is well designed, view is very good and it''s fairly easy to get refreshments inside the ground.

The big minus for visiting fans is, of course, that it''s in Wolverhampton ...........

[quote user="the stump"]its a dump horrible stand with old school style wooden seats[/quote]

Presume you mean Selhurst park and if so I agree, nightmare to get to as well. Never liked Molineux, the home fans create a nasty atmosphere and we have a terrible record there.

One of my favourite places to go was Sunderland, we have always got along as fans and i remember going there in the late 90''s, the atmosphere when the Stadium of light is full is one of the most imitimidating in the country. Not that it is nasty they just create one hell of a noise up there.

Also Crewe mainly cos of the final day of the 2004 season when the home fans seemed geniunely happy we had got promoted and gave our boys a standing ovation as champions, nice touch.

[quote user="Bungay Canary"]

vicarage rd watford  easy to park  going again for about the tenth time in a couple of weeks  never forget when we won the league there in the 70s 

[/quote]

Similarly, it was a great place to be in our Championship winning season, filling the whole away end and unofficially encroaching into the Rous Stand, which became obvious when we scored our first goal. Normally you would keep a low profile, but the emotion of the situation meant caution went to the wind and when we scored our first goal I stood arms aloft to find dozens of others around me similarly celebrating, much to the muffled irritation of the Watford folk around me.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

As far as value for money goes then I''m afraid I have to say Molyneux. The stadium is well designed, view is very good and it''s fairly easy to get refreshments inside the ground.

The big minus for visiting fans is, of course, that it''s in Wolverhampton ...........

[/quote]

its molineux not molyneux

St Andrews in Birmingham is great, short walk from Broad St aswell if you cut through Bullring. Take in a match, spend Saturday night out in City, Stay at Premier Travel Inn on canal side and then catch train fron New St back to Norwich on Sunday.

Selhurst Park: Where to begin? I live in London and even my journey to the ground sucks! It''s in a massive residential area and road and rail to anywhere near is impossible. It''s a low slung cheap arse atadium with none of the character of smaller grounds like Gillingham or Brentford. The fans can''t be bothered - real sing when you''re wining stuff. I had a run out on it when Wimbledon used to ground share and I have to say I''ve never seen a surface so bad. Park quality at best. It''s probably got better since but the fact that it was so awful was a shock.

I equally hate the Brittania. Scummy walk from the station across some real badlands and some of the most graceless hosts ever in the shape of the Potters fans.

Stamford Bridge has to be the worst. Despite fond memories of Zola''s delightful flick against us in the cup I''ll always recall the attitude of home fans and stewards as unnecessarily hostile, the ground itself being the ugliest shopping centre (for that is what it is) I''ve ever seen. Bloody expensive too. Not about football at all that place. Can''t stand it.

I love Brentford, Fullham, Watford and honestly I really enjoyed a trip to the New Den. Despite our awful result on the day 4-0 I think, I thought the atmosphere was amazing, something about the intimidating history and the layout of the even height 4 sided ground really boosted the vibe.

Just noticed how few of the grounds I''ve mentioned above are actually in the Championship. Soz about that - I got a bit off topic.

over all i think there is 3/4 grounds i really do likerotherham- you can generate some good atmosphere therecrewe- its a neat little ground, good history therebarnsley is the same as creweand sheff weds as its got real historic prescence, as for the big modern grounds i think sunderlands ground is okthe rest i dont care for.

[quote user="jay kay"]over all i think there is 3/4 grounds i really do like

rotherham- you can generate some good atmosphere there
crewe- its a neat little ground, good history there
barnsley is the same as crewe
and sheff weds as its got real historic prescence,

as for the big modern grounds i think sunderlands ground is ok
the rest i dont care for.
[/quote]

Not anymore you can''t, they are playing at an Athletics stadium now.