Sign in to follow this  
Big Slob

Doing a West Brom

As mentioned on match of the day on saturday night, West Brom are trying to play too much football, no long balls, just 1 touch passing and moving, which was highlighted because of the fact West Brom aren''t good enough and havn''t got good enough players to play that way and do well in the premiership. Maybe this is just my opinion but i thought this also relates to us a bit. We like to play the passing game, but are our players good enough to beat teams who like to play the same way (swansea) and the answer on more occasions that not is a no, therefore changing our style of play, may have a change in fortunes

[quote user="Big Bob"]As mentioned on match of the day on saturday night, West Brom are trying to play too much football, no long balls, just 1 touch passing and moving, which was highlighted because of the fact West Brom aren''t good enough and havn''t got good enough players to play that way and do well in the premiership. Maybe this is just my opinion but i thought this also relates to us a bit. We like to play the passing game, but are our players good enough to beat teams who like to play the same way (swansea) and the answer on more occasions that not is a no, therefore changing our style of play, may have a change in fortunes[/quote]with the arrival of sibs, it seems to me theres been more hoofing and less passing, than if you have the likes of lupes and hooley in the team,,,

We cannot compete physically with some of the teams, so on the floor, passing football is the best option for us at the mo. It''s always good to have a big fella up front though for corners, crosses, and desperate punt fwd moments.

I like this 4-5-1 formation with Hoolahan given a free role, and the wingers bombing fwd on every occasion. It could be the corner of our season.

[quote user="Big Bob"]yer, had to admit i thought we did look dangerous going forward on saturday up until doherty was sent off.[/quote]

Thats Ok, he won''t be getting sent off for about three weeks now, have to say his sending off was the best thing that could have happened to us.

The team played better with ten men.

Damned if you do - damned if you don''t.To be honest I don''t always listen to what they say on Match of the Day.  Two reasons - they have been known to criticise the likes of Bolton, Blackburn and now Stoke for being sides that stop teams playing rather than being teams that win by playing good football. It may well be that West Brom are trying to be to slick with a serious lack of rough and tumble but its better to have it that way around.They also said that they can not remember anyone staying up playing good passing football - what?!! Reading? And we were ten times better when we got the ball down and played it in the premiership.The truth of the matter is that you need to be able to mix it. You look at the best teams and they have every single option open to them. Man you have big and little strikers as do Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool (sort of), Aston Villa . . . . . The problem occurs when you decide that you are only going to play one way.I don''t think our team is incredibly confident at the moment and people seem to be misstaking defencive clearences as long balls, or fail to identify that a lack of movement to create passes often leaves few other options than trying to put the ball over the oppositions back four. Of late I think the coming to form of Bell, Clingan, Patty and Lita has actually helped this. Three players always moving and always looking for the ball.On Saturday you could have given the man of the match award to any one of three, four or even five players. Marshall for his outstanding saves, Patty for the energy and commitment along with tackling and attacking, Clingan for being here there and everywhere including whilst playing at centre back, Croft - simply has to be the best game I have seen him play in Norwich colours - tracking back, bombing forward, his second half display saved us on several occaisions down the right hand side, Lita for all of the hard work he put in as a loan-lone striker!And that is what you want - you want confidence, you want commitment and you want it from more than two players one of which always seems to be the goalkeeper! You want players to look for the ball, offer themselves or make intelligent runs that will stretch the opposition and make space for others to run into - and that comes with confidence.

There is some truth to what you say. Not so much when we play passing sides, but more when we play more direct teams.

We can play 30 mins of solid passing football and then get undone by a big hoof forward. I would like to see Norwich continue to play passing football, but if its not working have another option.

The problem is we don''t have a big forward who can win enough balls in the air, so we will just lose the ball again.

Really with the players Glenn has he has to play the passing game.

Apart from the fact arsenal have several top class players, who wenger has bought in at an early age and educated them to play this way. Footballs not about playing well, it''s about winning, if we were top of the league now, and playing like how stoke have and are doing, you would be moaning would you?

In reality the season we went up was more down to team spirit than anything else imo, our tactics were hardly anything special and were a tad predictable dare I say, but we has such a fantastic atmosphere around the place. Something which is very hard to achieve when forced to rely on loan players sadly.