Sign in to follow this  
Bryan Gunn

NCFC Research

Hi Everyone

As well as being a life long Canary I''m also a student at present, studying Communication studies at APU, Cambridge. I''m currently doing an assignment about communication technology and thought what better subject to chose than the web forum I enjoy so much.

I would really appriciate it if any of you could spare 5-10 mins to answer a few questions I have posted below. Feel free to copy and paste them and post your answers below or email them to me at willhbsales@aol.com.

I am looking for honest, serious answers, preferably more a couple of sentences for each question (not 1 word)!
This is for an assignment not a published or commisioned piece of work. All response and feedback will be very much appriciated. Feel free to contact me on the above email if you have any questions.

Thank you in advance

nickname:

1. What is the meaning/origin of your nickname?

2. How long have you been using this forum?

3. Where do you manly log on to this forum from? (Home, Work, School/College, Internet café etc..)

4. What do you enjoy most about the forum?

5. In what way do you feel the anonymity of using a nickname effects what you post?

6. What way do you feel the anonymity of using a nickname effects how others perceive you and your view’s.

7. How do you feel your use of the forum affects the amount of time you spend discussing Norwich City Football Club?

8. How do you feel your involvement with the forum affects your support of Norwich City Football Club?

9. What do you get from using this forum that you don’t from more traditional forms of exchanging views such as talking in the pub or at work?

10.What are the disadvantages to using this forum as apposed to more traditional forms of exchanging views?

11. What unwritten rules do you feel should be followed when using the forum.

12. In what ways could this web forum be improved?

"ob1" is three letters and therefore a quick login. I''ve used it for years on other forums....!

Six months - I''m mostly a lurker.

3. Where do you manly log on to this forum from? (Home, Work, School/College, Internet café etc..)

Work I guess. I do login from home too....

Norwich City football chat?

5. In what way do you feel the anonymity of using a nickname effects what you post?

(see below)

6. What way do you feel the anonymity of using a nickname effects how others perceive you and your view’s.

Your nickname is just a label for how others perceive you. Their perception is all important, the label is irrelevant.

7. How do you feel your use of the forum affects the amount of time you spend discussing Norwich City Football Club?

Obviously it increases it!

8. How do you feel your involvement with the forum affects your support of Norwich City Football Club?

Keeps me there all the time! :)

9. What do you get from using this forum that you don’t from more traditional forms of exchanging views such as talking in the pub or at work?

Long distance communication with real Norwich supporter "geeks" who actually know what they are talking about.

Lets face it - you ain''t gonna come here unless you are a bit of a Norwich geek, so I get the benefit of 100 or so, really knowledgable fans!

10.What are the disadvantages to using this forum as apposed to more traditional forms of exchanging views?

The inability to make inflection in typing in the same way you can vocal communications - it means sarcasm is taken literally and is the basis of much misunderstanding.

Don''t insult people - half the time you''ve miss understood them anyway.

Unless it''s 1st Wizard. :)

I run a very busy forum myself. The pinkun could borrow a few ideas such as the nice Yellow and Green colour scheme. Ironic considering we host the "Ipswich Gigs Forum". Don''t worry, they arn''t allowed to forget they are hosted by a City fan!

http://www.punknews.co.uk

I think the best improvement would be marking threads which have had posts which you haven''t seen....

Thanks everyone, great response. Could do with a few more. Would be nice to hear from some of the Females that use the board though...

Well I need a hand too, so I guess I''d better respond here!

My initials plus my favourite number.

Since 29th March, 2004 apparently.

Home only.

The level of knowledge that the posters have - we are all Norwich fans, and we all want the best for our club, but we all have different ideas on how to get there! I enjoy the fact that it keeps me linked to the club and the goings on, even though I live in London.

I think it does make you come out of your shell a little bit more than you otherwise would if posters knew your full name, address, etc. You can really say what you feel, and you can only be ''got at'' through the words other people post back, there is no physical threat from someone who disagrees with your views.

Your nickname can say a lot about you, though at the end of the day most people on here are just faceless people to the rest of us. We don''t know anything about someone apart from what they choose to post.

I spend a lot more time discussing it on here, obviously, but I also get rumours, etc. from others on here and discuss them with non NCFC supporters down here.

It definitely makes me feel closer to the club, and being an exile, it is one of the few ways I can get a sense of involvement and community.

Well the internet is definitely the new public sphere (see Jurgen Habermas'' work on this subject - and no, he''s not a rumoured new signing, but one of the Frankfurt School''s best known thinkers). The internet is what the public baths were in Roman times, and what coffee shops were in Victorian times - a place to discuss the day''s news, and to speculate and put the world to rights. The difference is that the internet is open to everyone (theoretically), regardless of race, class, gender, or power (though money is an issue in terms of access). BBut here you get a wider range of opinions, and people have time to formulate responses, which in the pub you don''t necessarily get. The arguments here are more well thought out.

The lack of liveness and imidiacy. The fact that (like someone else said) sometimes it is easy to be misunderstood, and things taken far too literally.

As long as it''s within the laws of the land, I feel that we can post anything. That is one of the best things about the internet.

A threaded view as the default would be the main one, rather than responses to threads being linear, meaning that we don''t know what people are actually replying to!

Good luck mate, and make sure you do mine too!