Sign in to follow this  
Grando

Movement

The thing that really struck me last night was how awful (well ok, non-existent) our movement off the ball was. The epitomy of this was when Clingan had no-one to pass to and had a go at Lita for not making any kind of run. Most of the time the players seemed to be static.

I agree 100%, but in fairness I think this has been a problem for alot of years now. The teams of the 80''s and early 90''s used to work so hard to give the player on the ball 2-3 options, over the last few years the movement off the ball that used to be such a big part of our style has gone, for it to happen you need 10 outfield players who are prepared to move even if they know that about 65% of the time they will not get the ball, over the last few years our players often only move if they think they are going to get the ball.

I think you could look at it two ways, yes from the norwich point of view there was a lack of movement..

but from a palace point of view the constant pressing was superb, something our midfield failed to do for the majority, classic warnock sides

[quote user="Grando"]The thing that really struck me last night was how awful (well ok, non-existent) our movement off the ball was. The epitomy of this was when Clingan had no-one to pass to and had a go at Lita for not making any kind of run. Most of the time the players seemed to be static.[/quote]The movement in the Palace team was in stark contrast to our lack of especially in the first half.

Agreed. I think the main culprit is Fotheringham. He passes the ball then stands still and watches where it goes.

[quote user="Kathy"]Agreed. I think the main culprit is Fotheringham. He passes the ball then stands still and watches where it goes.[/quote]

I dont think it''s just Fotheringham, both Lita and Sibierski didnt move alot either.   I think all the players are guilty to some extent. When they do move only one player moves which for me is why we are so predictable, other teams can press because they can see right in front of them where the ball is going to go and if it doesnt go there then the only other option is a hopeful long ball. For me it''s about players being prepared to work hard for the team even with no reward, i just dont see enough of that from enough players.

Sibierski moves in 5 yard circles.. watch him against Wednesday or Ipswich if he plays... he runs in a 5 yard circle to swap sides then strolls.. a few minutes later he will do it again....

jas :)