Sign in to follow this  
The Voice of the Thorpe Area

From a different perspective...

Okay, I''m going to get shot down for this. Let me firstly say that this isn''t my opinion, this is just a discussion starter. Here goes...

Are we the fans partly the reason why we are struggling yet again? Let me explain.

There are obvious advantages to having large home crowds every week, of which I won''t insult anyone by explaining what they are. However, and this is most definatly the case this season more than any, is having a large home crowd watching a struggling side always a good thing?

Let''s take tuesday night as an example. We had just won a much needed 3 points with 10 men at Forest, on live TV. But you wouldn''t have guessed that at Carrow Road the other night. The chorus of OTBC was dire, a half-hearted effort by us all. And it''s never long until we get on the players'' backs (I include myself in this). The slightest error, misplaced pass, etc, is always greeted by mass groans. Players get more nervous, mistakes become more frequent, and city lose 2-1.

I suppose it''s easy for us to criticise. We pay our money, they get paid a healthy sum, and we''ve had 4 years of under-achievement to sit through week after week. But I''m starting to think that if the board or manager can''t sort us out, maybe we the fans need to do more.

Do all of us, not just the traditional ''noise-makers'', need to get behind the team more often? Would a louder OTBC and chants such as Y''army help our home form, at least?

Discuss...

IMO the OTBC chant at the start of the match should be dropped it''s a joke and the only good thing about it is that some mugs pays good money to start it each week!!

The new entrance to the pitch followed by the line up and hand shake - WHY?

And maybe the reason the fans are quiet is because as the "Lender Ogre" never puts the same team out, we are trying to work out the system we are playing.

To be fair on Tuesday during the second half I thought the crowd got behind the lads ( was this because we only had 2 loanees on the pitch at this time?)

TVOTTE I think we have a part to play but paying through the gates is one of the big parts surely.

It could be my prejudice but I thought the team line up sapped the life out of the crowd. I went on Tuesday night feeling more optimistic than I have been because against Forest we put the ball on the floor and played a bit like a Norwich team. Then for some inexplicable reason Master R puts the Sib up front and we go Hoofball for 45 minutes. I was mad.

The team selection made us quiet.

[quote user="The Voice of the Thorpe Area"]

Okay, I''m going to get shot down for this. Let me firstly say that this isn''t my opinion, this is just a discussion starter. Here goes...

Are we the fans partly the reason why we are struggling yet again? Let me explain.

There are obvious advantages to having large home crowds every week, of which I won''t insult anyone by explaining what they are. However, and this is most definatly the case this season more than any, is having a large home crowd watching a struggling side always a good thing?

Let''s take tuesday night as an example. We had just won a much needed 3 points with 10 men at Forest, on live TV. But you wouldn''t have guessed that at Carrow Road the other night. The chorus of OTBC was dire, a half-hearted effort by us all. And it''s never long until we get on the players'' backs (I include myself in this). The slightest error, misplaced pass, etc, is always greeted by mass groans. Players get more nervous, mistakes become more frequent, and city lose 2-1.

I suppose it''s easy for us to criticise. We pay our money, they get paid a healthy sum, and we''ve had 4 years of under-achievement to sit through week after week. But I''m starting to think that if the board or manager can''t sort us out, maybe we the fans need to do more.

Do all of us, not just the traditional ''noise-makers'', need to get behind the team more often? Would a louder OTBC and chants such as Y''army help our home form, at least?

Discuss...

[/quote]Do the players fire up the crowd, or do the crowd fire up the players?  I thought considering what we got against Palace the crowd were quite generous.

Spot on, exactly what i''ve been saying for ages, the fans need to get together as one group!

The club will not move forward without us taking action because the board have nothing left to give, its us who have to push the team and the club into the future!

OTBC since 1969

The players shouldn''t need the crowd to get them fired up. They get paid money that most of us can only dream of to play the sport they love infront of 25,000 people every week. Would you need firing up? I wouldn''t. At 1-1 with 5 minutes to go a loud crowd can certainly rattle a visiting team, and a crowd that boo''s every mistake can certainly make a home side even more nervous so i''ll agree that the crowd plays an important part, but i don''t accept that it is down to the crowd to get the team fired up.

I can assure everyone here that the Board, manager & players alike are complacent to the level of derision at the supporters because of our attendances.

Your right it is not just that fact we are encouraging the norwich players - but a lot of noise/banter gets on the back of the opposition.

For example against Derby last month we created a lot of noise for every kick the GK had after Carroll was sent off. You could see he was under a lot of pressure.