Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

What game was it?

Definitely season 62/63, when there was a big freeze from about December to March.

Funny thing is, i don''t remember it being anything too unusual at the time. I didn''t have a cosseted inside job either, but was a butchers boy, and part of the job was to go out on the "trade bike" with the big wicker basket at the front, delivering to homes and businesses all over Yarmouth.

In those day snow, 3-4 foot deep was normal. We just get a dusting of snow these days, and it causes chaos.

Never seemed to feel the cold in those days, and we didn''t have the warm clothing that we have now. How different nowdays, with central heating warm clothing etc., i feel the cold more than ever.

That old trade bike weren''t too good either. I remember one day, the brakes weren''t too good, and i came whizzing into the alleyway behind the shop, and nearlly wiped out Billy Fury & Marty Wilde, who were as shocked as i was. lol. Happy days.

I worked in that shop for 2 years, before the call of the Merchant Navy got me. 

[quote user="Canarygeorge"]

Definitely season 62/63, when there was a big freeze from about December to March.

Funny thing is, i don''t remember it being anything too unusual at the time. I didn''t have a cosseted inside job either, but was a butchers boy, and part of the job was to go out on the "trade bike" with the big wicker basket at the front, delivering to homes and businesses all over Yarmouth.

In those day snow, 3-4 foot deep was normal. We just get a dusting of snow these days, and it causes chaos.

Never seemed to feel the cold in those days, and we didn''t have the warm clothing that we have now. How different nowdays, with central heating warm clothing etc., i feel the cold more than ever.

That old trade bike weren''t too good either. I remember one day, the brakes weren''t too good, and i came whizzing into the alleyway behind the shop, and nearlly wiped out Billy Fury & Marty Wilde, who were as shocked as i was. lol. Happy days.

[/quote]

...well, what were they doing there? They must have been "Halfway To Paradise."  As a butchers boy did you happen to see if any of arrdee''s sausages were on the scene? 

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Tony Powells Redundant Tackle...."]

Wiz , i think i have the answer !

The winter of 1962/63 was particularly harsh. Carrow Road was hit especially hard and when Norwich’s third-round FA Cup match against Blackpool was postponed for the eleventh time the Canneries decided that drastic action was needed. So what was the Norwich masterplan? Covers on the pitch? Boring. Under-soil heating? Not in 1963. Get the youth team to shovel all the snow off the pitch? Nope, for some reason a pyromaniac groundsman had his way and flamethrowers were dispatched to melt the frozen tundra.

A Norwich spokesman dubbed the move ‘a desperate effort,’ but despite the best macho posings of the groundstaff, the move ’served no purpose whatsoever’ for ‘as fast of the ice melted it froze again’. The next plan was to use a more low-key icebreaker, but again this was to no avail.

OTBC

[/quote]

Many many thanks TP for your excellent reply.............cheers.[Y]

[/quote]

Wasn''t the local referee''s name Norman Burtenshaw, that seems to ring a bell with me. I thought he was from Gorleston and I am sure he reffed me once in a schools cup final.

Mark .Y.

I love

it how everyone else was just ignoring these idiots, but thought i had to say

something...

until you can come up with some good banter, which involves the slightest bit

of intellect, shut up and go back to school.

willy head.... you must be kidding me!
[quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"]

[quote user="Sharp Shooter"]Who cares[/quote]

Eh, Wiz maybe? Tit

[/quote]

Don''t call me a tit, willy head

[/quote]

lol. I bet you love willy heads!!

[/quote]

What does that mean, fudge packer? Go lick the wizard''s chocolate drainpipe

[/quote]

It means that I think you like willys. More specifically the bell shaped area.

[/quote]

Well I don''t. Bet yours is covered in cheese!

[/quote]

Bet yours is, but not alot because it is so pathetically small!

[/quote]

[quote user="Flinty"]I love

it how everyone else was just ignoring these idiots, but thought i had to say

something...

until you can come up with some good banter, which involves the slightest bit

of intellect, shut up and go back to school.

willy head.... you must be kidding me![quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"]

Eh, Wiz maybe? Tit

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]ever heard about being the bigger man?i have!!!! [;)]

[quote user="Flinty"]I love it how everyone else was just ignoring these idiots, but thought i had to say something...

until you can come up with some good banter, which involves the slightest bit of intellect, shut up and go back to school.

willy head.... you must be kidding me!

[quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"]

Eh, Wiz maybe? Tit

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

I think you may find that we were somewhat taking the pee and just generally trying to pass the time. At least I hope we were!

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Canarygeorge"]

[/quote]

...well, what were they doing there? They must have been "Halfway To Paradise."  As a butchers boy did you happen to see if any of arrdee''s sausages were on the scene? 

[/quote]

Now Yankee I was in my 13 year when the big freeze occurred, 1961/62 there were 79 days when the temperature never got above freezing, my mother recorded it all, why? I have no idea but record it she did. I remember coming out of school one afternoon to bike the 3 miles home and it seemed like a slight drizzle coming down, I could not understand why I kept falling off my bike, in fact I could hardly walk the only way I could make headway was by walking on the hedge verge pushing my bike,It was dark by the time I got home, I remember walking past the pub with all its outside lights on and looking over the car park it was like a winter wonderland everything was varnished including my handlebars, such a strange phenomena the likes of I have never seen before or since.

Living in an old draughty farmhouse, you could almost crawl under the doors and the windows didn''t fit, we would have massive fires in the big fireplace, I think we use to burn a tree a week but you never seemed warm. Father got the men sawing wood, there was nothing else for them to do, there was mountains of it, One morning the chimney caught fire, it was all the sap and tar from burning green wood .

Mum was all for calling the fire brigade but Father would have none of it "I wont have anyone spaying water down my chimney besides thats the best way to clean the chimney, the fire will draw lovely tonight" flames and sparks shot out of the chimney until the afternoon before it went out and father was right the fire did draw better. As the chimney went through my bedroom when I went to bed that evening it was lovely and warm , I offered my brother my hot water bottle as I would not be needing it, his bedroom was over the other side of the house and he was not impressed.

In the early hrs I woke up soaked in sweat I could hardly breathe I thought I had the flu or something, the bedroom was like an oven, I tried to open a window, a hopeless task, the only thing I could open was the bedroom door which did not help much, I threw off all the blankets, the next things would have been the pyjamas, there was the country shivering with cold and there was arrdee contemplating sleeping in the nude. What a winter that was....arrdee.   

[quote user="arrdee"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Canarygeorge"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Now Yankee I was in my 13 year when the big freeze occurred, 1961/62 there were 79 days when the temperature never got above freezing, my mother recorded it all, why? I have no idea but record it she did. I remember coming out of school one afternoon to bike the 3 miles home and it seemed like a slight drizzle coming down, I could not understand why I kept falling off my bike, in fact I could hardly walk the only way I could make headway was by walking on the hedge verge pushing my bike,It was dark by the time I got home, I remember walking past the pub with all its outside lights on and looking over the car park it was like a winter wonderland everything was varnished including my handlebars, such a strange phenomena the likes of I have never seen before or since.

Living in an old draughty farmhouse, you could almost crawl under the doors and the windows didn''t fit, we would have massive fires in the big fireplace, I think we use to burn a tree a week but you never seemed warm. Father got the men sawing wood, there was nothing else for them to do, there was mountains of it, One morning the chimney caught fire, it was all the sap and tar from burning green wood .

Mum was all for calling the fire brigade but Father would have none of it "I wont have anyone spaying water down my chimney besides thats the best way to clean the chimney, the fire will draw lovely tonight" flames and sparks shot out of the chimney until the afternoon before it went out and father was right the fire did draw better. As the chimney went through my bedroom when I went to bed that evening it was lovely and warm , I offered my brother my hot water bottle as I would not be needing it, his bedroom was over the other side of the house and he was not impressed.

In the early hrs I woke up soaked in sweat I could hardly breathe I thought I had the flu or something, the bedroom was like an oven, I tried to open a window, a hopeless task, the only thing I could open was the bedroom door which did not help much, I threw off all the blankets, the next things would have been the pyjamas, there was the country shivering with cold and there was arrdee contemplating sleeping in the nude. What a winter that was....arrdee.   

[/quote]

As usual, arrdee, a fascinating account of re-living history. It''s a good job Bunny Larkin''s admirer had no knowledge of your condition in the early hours or else the Free Bet thread would have never have seen the light of day. Incidentally, while your input was much more interesting it did nothing to reveal what Billy Fury and Marty Wilde were up to in the back alleyway.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="arrdee"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Canarygeorge"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As usual, arrdee, a fascinating account of re-living history. It''s a good job Bunny Larkin''s admirer had no knowledge of your condition in the early hours or else the Free Bet thread would have never have seen the light of day. Incidentally, while your input was much more interesting it did nothing to reveal what Billy Fury and Marty Wilde were up to in the back alleyway.

[/quote]

Yes Yankee it was CanaryGeorge I believe, I cant remember what he said, did he say back passage or back alley?....arrdee.