Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

What game was it?

In view of all this bloody snow, what game was it in the early sixties where a local ref Mr Burtingshaw? from Lowestoft, had to call a City game off at Carrow Road 14 times because of the big freeze?.

I remember being mightly peed off at the time, but I can''t recall the other team involved.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

if he lives in "lowstuff" Wiz why not knock on his door and ask him!

jas :)

[/quote]

Because I believe he died some years back jas!

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

if he lives in "lowstuff" Wiz why not knock on his door and ask him!

[/quote]

Because I believe he died some years back jas!

[/quote]

don''t trifle me with Technicalities! lol!

[quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"]

[quote user="Sharp Shooter"]Who cares[/quote]

Eh, Wiz maybe? Tit

[/quote]

Don''t call me a tit, willy head

[/quote]

lol. I bet you love willy heads!!

[quote user="jay kay"]at least you can find him!!

all i found in googling was a keith burkinshaw, a coach?
oops
if you know the year that might help
[/quote]

It was early to middle sixties JK, sorry I can''t be more precise, I''m sure Yankee or Mr Whittle might know a bit more.

[quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"]

Eh, Wiz maybe? Tit

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What does that mean, fudge packer? Go lick the wizard''s chocolate drainpipe

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="jay kay"]at least you can find him!!all i found in googling was a keith burkinshaw, a coach?oopsif you know the year that might help[/quote]

It was early to middle sixties JK, sorry I can''t be more precise, I''m sure Yankee or Mr Whittle might know a bit more.

[/quote]im bored so i shall continue my quest.

[quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"]

Eh, Wiz maybe? Tit

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It means that I think you like willys. More specifically the bell shaped area.

[quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"]

Eh, Wiz maybe? Tit

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well I don''t. Bet yours is covered in cheese!

im guessing it was the 1962-63 season? as it was described as a very harsh winter.im also guessing it was between october and february due to the snow (the year we beat newcastle 5-0 with allcock getting 4 goals)

Wiz , i think i have the answer !

The winter of 1962/63 was particularly harsh. Carrow Road was hit especially hard and when Norwich’s third-round FA Cup match against Blackpool was postponed for the eleventh time the Canneries decided that drastic action was needed. So what was the Norwich masterplan? Covers on the pitch? Boring. Under-soil heating? Not in 1963. Get the youth team to shovel all the snow off the pitch? Nope, for some reason a pyromaniac groundsman had his way and flamethrowers were dispatched to melt the frozen tundra.

A Norwich spokesman dubbed the move ‘a desperate effort,’ but despite the best macho posings of the groundstaff, the move ’served no purpose whatsoever’ for ‘as fast of the ice melted it froze again’. The next plan was to use a more low-key icebreaker, but again this was to no avail.

OTBC

[quote user="jay kay"]im guessing it was the 1962-63 season? as it was described as a very harsh winter.
im also guessing it was between october and february due to the snow (the year we beat newcastle 5-0 with allcock getting 4 goals)
[/quote]

Ah! The Count!.............happy happy memories.[:D]

My Guess is the FA Cup third round V Blackpool in 1963. Was postponed 11 times and finally played in March. It was a draw but we won the replay. Was before my time but I bet your Nan went [Y]

it had to be FA cup as we played 5 games? in FA cup in 26 days?http://www.canaries.premiumtv.co.uk/page/History/0,,10355~1025325,00.htmlstates the cup run was condensed to 26 days. and, i can find all of the opponents if you like.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

My Guess is the FA Cup third round V Blackpool in 1963. Was postponed 11 times and finally played in March. It was a draw but we won the replay. Was before my time but I bet your Nan went [Y]

[/quote]That sounds about right Nutty, I didn''t miss a home game that season, but its a bugger to recall everyone!

Many thanks though.[Y]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]That sounds about right Nutty, I didn''t miss a home game that season, but its a bugger to recall everyone!

Many thanks though.[Y]

[/quote]

Dead right. My wife corrected the ailing brain. Why/How do women remember things so much better than us mere mortals?

She can even tell me what I did wrong then as well!!

[quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Sharp Shooter"][quote user="thecanaryfan"]

Eh, Wiz maybe? Tit

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well I don''t. Bet yours is covered in cheese!

[/quote]

Bet yours is, but not alot because it is so pathetically small!

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Many thanks though.[Y]

[/quote]

Dead right. My wife corrected the ailing brain. Why/How do women remember things so much better than us mere mortals?

She can even tell me what I did wrong then as well!!

[/quote]

Butler, despite their power of recall, the better half very rarely tell you about things you did right in the old days. With our much weaker talent in the area of recall we are left to guess that there must have been something we were good at. It seems so unfair sometimes when they keep telling us "it''s a man''s world."

[quote user="Tony Powells Redundant Tackle...."]

Wiz , i think i have the answer !

The winter of 1962/63 was particularly harsh. Carrow Road was hit especially hard and when Norwich’s third-round FA Cup match against Blackpool was postponed for the eleventh time the Canneries decided that drastic action was needed. So what was the Norwich masterplan? Covers on the pitch? Boring. Under-soil heating? Not in 1963. Get the youth team to shovel all the snow off the pitch? Nope, for some reason a pyromaniac groundsman had his way and flamethrowers were dispatched to melt the frozen tundra.

A Norwich spokesman dubbed the move ‘a desperate effort,’ but despite the best macho posings of the groundstaff, the move ’served no purpose whatsoever’ for ‘as fast of the ice melted it froze again’. The next plan was to use a more low-key icebreaker, but again this was to no avail.

OTBC

[/quote]

Many many thanks TP for your excellent reply.............cheers.[Y]