Sign in to follow this  
who ?2

Norwich Season Preview - from a WBA perspective (v. long)

Well the season has now almost begun, and I think it''s time for me to say goodbye to the sunny Pink''un message boards, and head back to Albion sites to concentrate on my own teams season. Whilst I''ve been reading these boards (for about 3/4 of the pre-season) I''ve enjoyed the banter, and although at first I was shocked to read your views about WBA on small things such as similar transfer targets to other things such as our manager and style of play, your views were always interesting to read, and I enjoyed posting on here and chatting about the upcoming season. But enough sucking-up ;) I plan to give you a different view of your chances, hopes, and aspirations for this season, rather than the lazy approach of many pundit''s views you''ve read. Having followed your pre-season very closely, I hope that, although you may agree or disagree with what I have to say, you will find it useful. Please note, I will not be posting on these boards in future, unless it''s completely necessary, so I will not be able to reply, although I''ll probably come on here from time to time to see how you''re getting on.

So where do I start...?

I suppose one of the most important things this season will be your signings so, let me give you a quick run down, with my opinions of how each player could affect your season.

Bentley - It was said that 4-5 clubs were after, the young Arsenal starlet, with us being rumoured to be one of them. As far as I know we made an enquiry as to his availability, and never followed it up seriously, although most of our fans wanted to sign him. Having seen him at the Hawthorns in the carling cup, he didn''t really stand out then, apart from his hair of course! However having watched him twice against Middlesborough in the semi-finals he did look a cut above the rest of the youngsters, the only Arsneal players which looked better than him were Fabregas and a centre-back who''s name escapes me. I think he could well be one of your best players this season, he will add a lot of pace to your attack and he is definately Premiership quality.

Gallacher - With Green in goal this chap will hardly get a look in, although he may well be a good goalkeeper, he will not match up to Green''s standards, and therefore will have very little affect on your season. Time will tell whether he is biding his time to take the no. 1 jersey if Green leaves.

Safri - The worst signing you''ve made. Sorry, but to put it bluntly he will not cut it at Premiership level, both times WBA played Coventry, he made no impact at all on games, and was made to look silly by AJ on various occasions, considering that at best AJ is a very poor Premiership player, Safri will have been a waste of £500,000. However it''s all very well saying this, but he could go and prove me wrong, again this is just from what I''ve seen and know.

Charlton - The only player you''ve signed with Premiership experience. He is a very good player, but often gets beaten in the air, his commitment is 2n to none, and although he may not have a lot of quality, his experience and passion will serve you very well this season. Alongside a good Premiership player he will help you out vastly. A shrewd signing if i may say so.

Helveg - Arguably one of the buys of the summer. Although not all Bosmans turn out to be worthwhile (ask WBA fans about Wallwork ;)), Helveg will no doubt add a great deal of quality and International experience to your team. The only thing I will say is that although when he plays for Denmark, he is one of the best international players on the planet, his club form has often been a let down, he arrives with high levels of expectation, but does not constantly perform. Although this coul be because of the quality of players he has played with, making him look of a lower standard, whilst really, his team-mates are just that good, he just cannot match up to their standards.

Ward - I actually rate Ward, as

What a fantastic post, thankyou for your level headed, uninsulting analysis! You are, unfortunately a minority on this message board, most opposition fans who come here seem to have nothing interesting to say! And you seem to have me at a disadvantage as I know comparatively little about your club, are you sure you''re not a canary in disguise?? Good luck to you for the coming season, wouldn''t it be funny if we all stayed up and Man city, Southampton and Everton went down!!!

A very interesting summary of our team, Who. and thanks for your good wishes, which are reciprocated with reservations (that we finish around mid-table above WB!) I always liked Gary Megson, as a player and a too honest Manager when he was here. I would like to see him have a reasonably successful spell at WB and hope too that we new boys replace some of the regular strugglers in the Prem.

OTBC

Great post who ?2 it''s refreshing to see a rival fan with a bit of sense and a constructive view, a view that i agree a lot with by the way although i do worry about Holt''s ability to pass the ball at this level but time will tell.

This is my first post and i just wanted to say thank you for a fair and considered analysis of our team, i hope we both stay up, we both enjoy the season and make the most of it

OTBC

who ?2 what an amazing post, you certainly take an interest in other teams than the Throstles, is that because you live near here. Anyway good luck next year, lets hope your prediction is at least one out, upwards!