Sign in to follow this  
worried canary

lack of ambition

After attending the Forum at Beccles last night,i left with many other concerned,not surprised people.
The future possible signing of Darren Huckerby was the main topic of the evening.
I''m afraid each question was replied with DOOM & GLOOM !!!!!! WHAT A SURPRISE !!!!!!!!
The current board just still don''t have the AMBITION !!!!!!! & are afraid of taking the club further on the pitch, which was directed at them by a disgruntled fan & friends.
They seem more than happy to just become a top 10 Division 1 club with the best stadium.
Mr Barry Skipper our "VICE CHAIRMAN" has no AMBITION, all his answers were replied with DOOM & GLOOM (nothing positive) & is holding the club back with his dated views.
Mr Neil Doncaster "THE FACE OF NCFC" gave the same answers we hear all the time "we have a plan & it takes time"!! (but how long is this plan ??)
If only Darren was there to hear the answers,he would understand he''s just here on loan till December & returning to ("MR KEEGAN AS MR SKIPPER STATED ") Man City.
Doug Livermore gave his views & hopes the player stays permantly & it seems to be falling on DEAF EARS !!!!!

Worthy,coaching staff & players must be feeling DEJAVU !!!!!!!!

Its going to be along winter ahead without the services of DARREN (PLAYER OF THE MONTH ) HUCKERBY !!!!

Prediction 12th .

Has anybody seen or heard of DELIA recently ??????

Unfortunately m8 i would have to agree with everything you ahve said there.
I now think the only thing holding Norwich back is this joke of a board, i think they are a disgrace and do the fans wrong. It''s time we sacked our lovely board and got some deacent people there. Some will say we have a good board because we are stable div1 club.
We need to take this risk people of buying Huckerby, we could be millionaires if it pays off to the premiership and if it doesn''t we can still cope.
This board has no ambition what so ever, feel so sorry for Wrothy he''s not asking for much at all and has been patient. Delia and the board would rather see our beloved football club turned into their private kitchen then a real football team.
If we don''t get Huckerby i can see us yes being about 12th, yes us once again going back to the says of Hamilton with mid/relegation battles at the end of season, and getting nocked out of ever round of the cup (first round). I can see us loosing what we have left here such as Green and Drury. It could all be a result of our pathetic board for Ncfc, come on fans lets do something this isn''t good enough, lets have a protest at the board because they have a lack of ambition.

No. Completely rubbish idea and I''m not gonna do it.

I''d rather have a football club to watch and support than an administration nightmare - and don''t forget you get docked points now for going into administration, so we''d be a third division club before you knew it.

If you had the opportunity to make £30m for the club (and yourself) you would do it - ask yourself why we haven''t already splashed millions? Because even with an expensive array of talent you can still fail, and if you do you''re in trouble.

Just look at Watford, Ipswich, Bradford etc and think of what would have happened to Middlesborough and Blackburn if they didn''t have generous chairmen.

Define ambition. Success! Ok! how do we define success? Is it an undefeated run in the first division leading to the ultimate entry into the premiership, worth it is said £30.000000? Nice!!!!. How many sides with crowds less than 30.000 can produce the revenue necessary to pay 11 first team members upwards of twenty five-thousand pounds a week. How many clubs could afford to buy such players, just look towards Chelsea. How many of the same clubs could maintain 35 players of first team quality in the squad at the club. All, because of their individual ability to slot in or be available when there is an injury, would be on the same sort of wages that Darren Huckerby is on. A further £20000 a week each. The same clubs that have those ambitions and problems languish at the bottom of the PREM year in and year out and face relegation and the year after promotion. Their financial positions are farcical, look at Ipswich, they renaged on their debts and left many loyal businesses struggling to survive. Is that the price of ambition that Norwich City is prepared to pay for a stint in the PREM. I would rather be a mid table side that has principles and integrity, but I am well prepared to accept promotion within strict financial guidelines that points to concerted effort by the players that we can afford to pay and play.

So you''re saying you''d rather not sign a quality player who has been an inspiration since signing, and go for the Prem, albeit over budget? You''d rather stay mid-table in Div 1 but atleast we''re running a tight ship. We''ve seen the Ipswichs, Bradfords, Derbys, etc make their mistakes, and I''m sure our very sensible board would never endanger the club by overspending whilst in the Prem. It can be done - look at West Brom, who''ve come down but are in control of their finances, and a bit richer for their season in the Prem. We''re not talking about a major spending spree on five new players who are costing the earth, we''re talking about one player. Surely we have to take a chance on the one player who seems keen to come here and who seems to make our current crop of players raise their game? We need someone like him if we''re to get promoted, if not we''ll be in div one for the rest of our lives. Woo-hoo.

Here''s preparing for years of going nowhere....

Thoroughly agree with you Tacklebury. There is having ambition and having ambition. At the end of the day we have done nothing over the past few seasons and it would not hurt the board to have at least one quality player coming in and giving us the extra edge needed for a quality promotion push. As you have said we are not talking about buying half the team but one player and at least the board have had the luxury of sussing him out and seeing what he can do prior to spending on him. The old saying about ''what if he gets injured'' does not wash with me as that could have happened at Man Utd with Nistelroy or at the other end of the scale with West Brom West Ham and all the other clubs that have spent during the close season. Some people are just satisfied with seeing Crew, Burnly or Rotherham play at Carrow Road and have got no ambition whatsoever and it really annoys me as I know we have the nucleus to get up if only for a spot of AMBITION from the board.

You''re missing the point completely. Don''t accuse me of not being ambitious - I have seen the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Manyoo, Bayern and Inter all play at Carrow Road, and travelled to grounds such as White Hart Lane, Goodison and Anfield to watch us beat the dirty reds at the last game ever in front of the Kop. I know (and remember) what it was like to be part of the big league.

But when things go wrong it takes a long time to re-build and I think we are not finished rebuilding yet. If we have a few injuries this so-called "Nucleus" that you think we have is going to be severely exposed. Then Huckerby is going to be playing in front of a bunch of twelve year old academy kids and he''s not going to get us the automatic promotion you''re expecting like that is he?

Also, people are acting as if we had Hucks then we''ll DEFINITELY get promoted. Who says? And why didn''t Forest get promoted last year? Even if we sign him then we''d only be fourth or fifth favourites to go up, and if we''re in the play-offs anything could happen.

If we had money to burn then definitely sign him (and others too), if we haven''t then don''t break the bank, we''ll only pay for it later.

We''re claiming that we''ll be in with a much better chance of promotion with him than without him, that''s what most people are saying and no-one is assuming that signing Huckerby means guaranteed promotion (especially given the quality in the division next year). What most people are saying is that without him we are only a midtable side that might sneak into the playoffs. With Huckerby''s pace, imagination, inspiration, we suddenly look play-off certainties, and possible automatic promotion candidates. We are a team only one good player away from success. Oh, and just because Forest didn''t get promoted with Huckerby last year doesn''t necessarily mean the same fate awaits us. The fact is we haven''t been playing brilliantly - Worthy has mentioned one or two first half performances of late that haven''t been up to scratch -but we''re getting results whilst playing only averagely at best. Imagine what we could do when we start to play well? It''s tha mark of a good side, and one that can succeed.

We can''t sit around in the nationwide for too long - the fans need success, Worthy is clearly desperate for success, and I''m sure the players are too. Also, as money is gradually draining away from the nationwide, can we afford to sit back and hope that we''ll sneak into the playoffs? How''s about we invest in a quality player keen to join us and really challenge. It''s very simple - let Huckerby go and maintain our midtable stance, or do our utmost to keep him here and actually have a chance.

I don''t know about anyone else, but I loved our playoff run. I want to experience that again, but it won''t happen unless we take a chance.

It is also true that whilst we don''t sign players such as Huckerby, the more the rest of the squad will be thinking that the club is lacking in ambition. this is such a huge chance that it is different to previous times - he says he wants to move and he has shown us what he can do. if we simply leave him and hope for the best we may be playing div 1 football next year minus drury, green, mcviegh or francis, which is just as bad as not signing huckerby, if not worse

So Big Dave-you think that Worried Canary should''nt go to matches..

It is people like you who are quite happy season in and season out to just plod along-when for once that we have a real chance to get out of this horrendous league why should''nt we take the gamble after all it is just 1 player that we want and not 5!!

Another question for you-did you go to the beccles forum?

Well if the answer is no then i don''t really feel that you can judge Worried Canary!!

Now then children....

I think you''re both right - Big Dave, anyone can go to football matches if that''s what they enjoy. However, whether you like it or not Huckerby is a financial gamble and may upset the books or more importantly the squad we already have.

I''ve been persuaded by Tacklebury that Huckerby is a great idea - HOWEVER, if we can''t get him I don''t want to protest or rock the boat in anyway. The board will have done what they can, and the squad we already have need our total support and no negative influences through a tough part of the season.

Oh, and I forgot to mention - CAN PEOPLE PLEASE STOP THIS "YOU DON''T HAVE ANY AMBITION" "YOU''RE JUST HAPPY TO BE IN DIV ONE" RUBBISH!!!!

NO-ONE is happy being stuck in division one (especially me), but we all have our different ideas about how to get promoted. And as I''ve said before Huckerby is no certainty to do it, otherwise Forest would have gone up last season. And if we don''t go up by some last minute penalty shoot-out then we''ll be stuck trying to balance the books again.

It''s a 50-50 situation, but I wish people would stop with this whole "ambition" thing, cos it''s nonsense.

I have read the comments by Mook et al with interest. Ambition is not the word Realism is. We must have faith in our Board After all when the press were invited to meet the new signing (Crouch) who appeared beside him and who expected it was H. I believe our Board are playing a long game there is no point being too enthusiastic about signing players-it will only inflate their fee and wages. Having listened to Delia in the Gunn club at the beginning of the season no ne can be under the impression that she is not passionate about our Club aspiring to the Premiership but not by spending £1m on unheard of strikers. We have a reasonaable squad who can take us to the playoffs this season. I would bet that if we are in the top three just before Christmas money will be found. All the moaners and groaners are not being realistic with the Clubs finances Just how much of their cash is at stake-only ticket money every week. Perhaps the Club could ask if supporters were prepared to pay from now on double the ticket prices to finance a transfer fund so H could be bought. I doubt they would. I know we have Mr Doomcaster on the Board-he is an accountant-all clubs need one to advise the Board but he does not take the final decision. Have faith in your Board they run our Club about £30m better than that that so called friendly well mangaed Club to the south with apparantly little regard for their creditors. Tomorrow at West Ham will be interesting.

Without being patronising Heraldo,i like your well balanced post. The team that we have may get to the play offs. I think we are to weak and slow in mid-field to hold our own at higher than the top six in div one this year. Darren Huckerby is a great player, and I for one would like the club to be able to afford to pay him let alone buy him. But when realism creeps in; the weakness at mid field is the stumbling block, and its where we lack the ability as a team to fight and win the ball to make the best of his or any front runners ability. Darren is his own supplier and his own ball winner at present. Sadly, his back up from mid field is so poor that he, however fit, must run out of steam. Come on Worthy strengthen the mid field before top flight foot ball is a realistic proposition.

Is it the mdifield? I have always seen it as being the defence being too slow(Fleming and Mackay). The defence has to play deep, which means the midfield has to too, and so they have far more ground to cover

Exactly.

We''re not ready throughout the team (see my earlier post about squad depth) and Huckerby will only solve one of our problems. Expensively.

i would just like to say that im not happy being in the first division i want to be at the top but it just make me angry when people say norwich have no ambition WHAT! ,DO YOU THINK MR WORTHY ,DELIA ,NEIL DONCASTER AND THE BOYS ON THE PITCH WANT TO STAY IN DIV 1 AND LOOK AT THE GROUND IE-NEW STAND TRYING TO BRING GOOD PLAYERS .AND NO I DIDNT GO TO THE FORM DOES THAT MAKE ME ANOTHER PERSON LACKING AMBITION. YES I AM GOING TO WEST HAM.

A few of us have said that we are either too slow at the back, or that, as i believe we are not competant enough in mid field to maintain an attacking formation for long enough to be a real strong force for promotion in the upper realms of div1. We need another season here to be the force we need to be. Although all of us have ambitious wishes for the team it would be fool hardy to be so impatient that we jump to expenditure that we will regret. Some of the younger prospects will be a year older and stronger next season, and most important more experienced, as well as faster. I say heres to a top six finish this season. By the way did you notice what the Ip*****h lot did last night!(6) thats with 5 of last years prem players missing. Its precisely that sort of result that indicates to me the enormous gulf that exists between the prem and the first div. Lets get a win at the HAM tonight 0-2 to lift the spirits.

I feel there is a fine line between ambition and stupidity.

No-one could doubt that Ridsdale was ambitious at Leeds but how many people would be happy if he walked into carrow road as chairman???

I know it is on a different scale spending on huckerby and spending loads on Fowler, Dacourt, Ferdinand, Keane, Viduka and then selling them for next to nothing, but the money has to come from somewhere.

I''m not trying to say I dont want to sign huckerby, you just have to understand the reasons why.

I think I''m getting a bad case of splinters in my ar$e from sitting on this fence to long

I think everyone even the board wants Hucks to stay, lets not question that because that is as clear as day.

The problem as Mook is pointing out is that we have a plan of action at the moment and it is steaming along quite nicely. Yes Huckerby would make it a little faster perhaps, and that is the problem its the perhaps that is worrying.

Do you remember the last time supporters were up in arms over signing a loan signing? And in the end we got him, and yes I am talking about Nielsen. He is probably the most unlucky player I have ever seen in a canary shirt, he should have gone with more names to his shirt. But the points stand, what happens if we sign Huckerby and he does the same?

I would agree that it is not as likely but it is a possibility, and its not doom and gloom. We would be in the same position if he became injured, we would be left with what we had before he arrived.

The point is we do have a good team that with real belief can get places. We have needed a new face up-front for a long time and especially someone who is not scaired of taking players on.

Lastly quality players only shine when they have good solid team behind them. Other than our defencive weaknesses we are as strong as any other team in this division. The fact that should we win (I predict a 2-1 away win) it is possible for us to go as high as second points to that fact.

The club don''t habe ambition unless they buy at least 1 of the 3 loanees.
If we don''t push now, the few players we have left are also going to need.
We need to get Huckerby, we all know he can bring us the Premiership, yet we still take no chances. Delia is just happy to swan along in average boring land while she turns our football club into a kitchen.
The only person who has ambition is Worthington, and if the board don''t provide him with some ''real'' money he will leave us along with the few good players we have left.
Then were left with a team like we had in the days of Hamiltons reign, and risk getting relegated.
I''m sorry but i do believe that buying Huckerby could be the turning point us fans have waited so long for, we can do it, even if we don''t make it were still going to be a stable club.
I just find it amazing how you people can stick up for the board, their pretty useless, they gave Worthy 300k to spend in the summer, which i class as absolutely pathetic for a club that''s supposed to be looking for pormotion.
Forrest have signed Taylor, kept hold of Haywood and Johnson and are probably buying Marlon King, and this is a club that''s supposed to be nearly bankrupt.
Why we cannot get JUST 1 deacent player for once amazes me.
WHERE THERE''S A WILL, THERE''S A WAY !

Even from 13,000 miles away it was obvious that the manager playing a star of yesterday up front against W.B.A our attack would be power puff and it would be back to last season''s results and so it proved. It appears that there is a tendency to wrap players in cotton wool these days. Amateurs take a knock work their full time jobs and get on the park for their next game. Not so our overpaid professionals. Where are the Ron Ashmans etc of today.