Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

Chris Goreham on CanaryCall

Do you mean Matt Gudgeon?

I heard him rambling on about how when Chase left the club was 3 days away from going bankrupt, and would have if Delia hadn''t stepped in.

Chase left in May 1996.

Delia didn''t arrive on the scene until November that same year.

One must never let the facts get in the way of some good old fashioned Carrow Road spin!   

Can anybody really be bothered to spell this all out again after the truly wretched week we have all suffered, I know I can’t.

[quote user="Bury Green"]

One must never let the facts get in the way of some good old fashioned Carrow Road spin!   

Can anybody really be bothered to spell this all out again after the truly wretched week we have all suffered, I know I can’t.

[/quote]yeah,more spin than on the ball first half barclay end, that bounced high over the head and out of reach of the flailing swans keeper and out for a corner!!!

[quote user="Reg Presley"]Saviours of the club: Geoffrey Watling. Ray Houseago, Gordon Bennett, and (chiefly) Martin Armstrong - the last 3 pushed out of the club and airbrushed out of history by the two individuals that control the club.
[/quote]

Naughty naughty  that’s not how it goes and you know it

Do you think if enough of us write to the BBC to complain about this false information we can force an apology and an on air correction? The Beeb are very touchy at the moment.

[quote user="The Prisoner"]Do you think if enough of us write to the BBC to complain about this false information we can force an apology and an on air correction? The Beeb are very touchy at the moment.[/quote]It would be funny to say the least!

I have just complained. I think it''s both disrespectful to those who did actually ''save'' the Club (and by save I mean renegotiate the overdraft because I fail to see how we would be in the slightest danger of administration) and it''s also irresponsible of the BBC to broadcast untruths in a manner verging on propaganda.Any else who wants to complain can find the link here.BBC Complaints

I think the point that is missed is that parsnip of an fellow in Mervin or whatever his name is was trying to say how the sun shone out of Chases bum and we only protested against him when he sold Chris Sutton. Can''t think that he was one of the protesters then!And we come back to the old chestnut of he thinks he do!Generalising things does not help. A clear majority of Norwich Fans are old enough to remember those times - even I and I was a mere lad at the time, and I remember it much more accurately.I remember how Chase had supposedly made so much money for the club, how he sold Sutton and then refused to re-invest in the team - which was the big point, and then proceeded to sell on some other players.When the fans called for his head and then protested, and rightly so, there was a period of time where some intelligent and budding historian on here has already noted, some heroic characters managed to prevent the club from going into administration. However I also seem to remember that this was very much a temporary measure and it was stated that they could not indeffenitely hold the club afloat. There was no "force out" of board members and there was no re-writing of history. The fact of the matter is that from the point they took over until about two or three seasons ago this club was supported and financialy sound due to Delia and Michael.There is no need to go any further than that because recognising that is in itself suggesting that for that period they did a fantastic job. However, you look at our plight since relegation and you do have to wonder about the way things have been handled. Promotion enabled us to re-structure our debts so that they were manageable for "the forseable future". We were told that we would no longer have to struggle. This is prior to any TV deal fallout etc.Yet here we are now, a team riddled with loans that could be recalled in January, a beleagured team and as some have said a relative lack of direction - or at least the ability to vocalise the direction from the board.I don''t dislike any of the board - infact I think if someone like Cullum was to bankroll the club I think they would spend it wisely - I really do. The only issue I have now really is that they said "forseable future" which seems to have meant a couple of years.Up until the season after relegation I thought they did nothing wrong and so I will not criticise them for seasons that included play-off finals, promotion or close to it. I supported them then and am not about to make myself look silly by trying to say otherwise. I was at Reading away for the promotion season and I was out for the parade having not been able to get a ticket for the play-off final, happy, happy times - almost as happy as beating Bayern Munich.But as I have stated before - other clubs steeped in much more past glory are struggling with the same problems. The answers are not in the past because there is no past model for this really. The premiership grew from the midst of the last recession and thrived off Labours gain of power.I can''t blame Delia and Michael for not having the money to buy a new squad every season, and I can''t blame the rest of the board for not being able to magically make money appear from no-where. But for the sake of the club I hope they really are looking into ways of generating new funds and fast, I don''t think we will go down this season but I can see it happening next season if the money is not brought in to structure the squad in such a way as to give us a fighting chance.As for the 25k fans argument. We didn''t get that many when we were relegated the last time, infact we didn''t get that many untill we even looked like we would have a shot at the play-offs and no one really believed that we would get to the final in the style in which we did. And in truth it wasn''t untill the South Stand was replaced and the capacity increased all of which the current board co-ordinated.I am not a board apologist or whatever word that Cluck and his faithful sideslap Smudger want to come up with, I have no loyalty other than that to our club, if we had other people in charge doing a good job then I would not complain - I just despise the attitude of people on here who say they have never supported Delia etc when there are probably pictures of them waving scalfs in the city after the good times the current board has given us.

Best post I have seen on here for ages, agree with 100% except for the bit about Labour :o).  The Premiership flourished thanks to Murdoch''s millions, from Sky TV... the same money that is now creating a chasm so big between the top two flights, it''s shafting everyone and everything outside of the Premiership.  For a while, the money transformed the game for the better but now I feel it''s destroying it.

Chicken, as I alluded to earlier on in this thread I am really struggling to find much energy to even argue on a message board I am so damn disillusioned but here we go anyway. 

Whilst some of what you say is true, the demise of Robert Chase carries all manner of truths, half truths and lies no more so than the state of the clubs finances at the time. 

In the season of his departure he had appointed a fantastic young manger who really needs no introduction, who at the time he thought he could bankroll to get the club back into the top flight at the first attempt.  Unfortunately a lot like today we were suffering a banking crisis, only then most of the clubs borrowings were repayable on demand rather than by way of term loans and the clubs bankers themselves almost insolvent did just that, ask for their money back.   

Now this isn’t conjecture or hearsay it came from a repugnant character who dealt with corporate recovery at the time who took much pleasure in boasting how he screwed our club over, he was and is a Binner of the very worst variety. 

So Chase was left with few options, he had put too much into property (sounds familiar) which wasn’t exactly that saleable at the time and a host of players he could turn into cash rapidly which is what he had to do. 

The rest of course is history and whilst I am sure he did enjoy the high life with trips to World Cup 1994 etc but his demise is riddled with all manner of spin but he simply ran out of cash. 

None the less today’s caller was absolutely full of it