Sign in to follow this  
CaptnCanary

Glenn Roeder makes me laugh

I listened to Canary call today and heard GR''s interview after the game. He started off by slagging off the players. He said they go through set piece plays every week before match day - both from the attacking and defending side of things. He then said that dispite that some players made mistakes defending set plays and that these players lack footballing intelligence and would most likely make these mistakes which ever team they played for (I think this qualifies as blaming the players for todays result). He then went on to say that he would take the result on the chin and that he''s not the kind of guy who lays the blame on others!!!!! :oS Funny that - I thought he always blames everyone but him and talks like he is a god of football!

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]I listened to Canary call today and heard GR''s interview after the game. He started off by slagging off the players. He said they go through set piece plays every week before match day - both from the attacking and defending side of things. He then said that dispite that some players made mistakes defending set plays and that these players lack footballing intelligence and would most likely make these mistakes which ever team they played for (I think this qualifies as blaming the players for todays result). He then went on to say that he would take the result on the chin and that he''s not the kind of guy who lays the blame on others!!!!! :oS Funny that - I thought he always blames everyone but him and talks like he is a god of football![/quote]fair enough,,,but tbh - roed''y got a point about the set-plays - we didn''t defend corners well today, it seemed to me marshy was making last ditch efforts to punch the ball away too much - why??? cos he doesn''t command his area v. well,,,

Sure he has a point that the players made mistakes at set plays. But the way he goes about talking his way out of it is firstly by saying basically that the players are rubbish/stupid/are to blame, then tries to say that he is not the kind of guy to blame others.

Firstly this must be awful for morale to publicly slag off the players and secondly he comes across like he thinks he''s all ''holier than thou''. Just the kind of boss you would hate to work for.

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]

Sure he has a point that the players made mistakes at set plays. But the way he goes about talking his way out of it is firstly by saying basically that the players are rubbish/stupid/are to blame, then tries to say that he is not the kind of guy to blame others.

Firstly this must be awful for morale to publicly slag off the players and secondly he comes across like he thinks he''s all ''holier than thou''. Just the kind of boss you would hate to work for.

[/quote]see where you''re coming from - yeah you''d hate your guv if he was like that for sure,,,

I so wish I was fit right now - if I was I could do a half decent job for Roeder!Set plays to me are one of the easiest parts of the game. The ball is still and you know which direction it is coming from. You have two choices - mark your man and make it difficult for him to get onto anything, or - sit off your man, keep and eye on him and attack the ball using the space to run and get enough momentum to make the clearance worth-while.I can not believe that it has to be any more difficult than that. The only other factors are someone taking the free kick quickly or a shot at goal. The simple thing for the speed option is to make sure that someone is going to go and be part of the wall and make sure the ref has to count out the yards. It is a bit of gamesmanship but it is straight forward enough. And yes it may be a yellow card if the ref deems it but at the end of the day if its that or a goal I know which I would prefer.

Maybe what Roeder meant when it seemed he was trashing the players was that what they have been doing in training everyday turned out to be completely wrong, and as such, he (Roeder) is to blame for mis-preparing the team.  And that not matter what team they played on, if he was the manager, they would have been just as incompetent as they were playing for him today at Carrow Road.

Come on, people, stop finding reasons to nitpick the manager.  He owned up for a poor job done by him, and hopefully this means he will rectify matters and we will start moving up the table!

(Or maybe not.)

I was being EXTRA sarcastic there, Cider.  I''m surprised (and disappointed) you didn''t see that.  I was hoping for a "funny stuff there, Houston" type of comment, not a serious one.

I find it much easier to go for laughs when things are so hopeless because it saves me from crying or being angry. I make the best of a crappy situation.

Well if Roeder''s gonna make most of our team, (especially the defensive part) out of players who''ve played 50 or less professional games of footy each, then these sorts of simple errors are always gonna happen, for all the talent that Kennedy, Bertrand, Omosuzi, Pattison... have, they just haven''t got the football nous that say the likes of the less glamourous but maybe more effective names such as Carl Fletcher or Micheal Duff have