Sign in to follow this  
The Voice of the Thorpe Area

Why we will not (and should not) sack Roeder

1. We have no money. Therefore, we could not afford to pay off GR in a million years.
  2. Roeder has spent hardly any money. it would be a different story he had spent £5 million, but he has had to work on a shoestring, relying largely on the loan market
  3. He''s only been a charge for a year. We''re seriously in danger of becoming one of those clubs, if Roeder does go (which he won''t), who change managers every season, and whom you here stupid facts like ''they''ve had 5 managers in 5 years'' or ''they''ve had more managers than Iain Dowies changed clubs''. The clubs never prosper. Look at Leicester, for example. For 4 or 5 years now, they have constantly chopped and changed managers. And for what? League One.

For these reasons, GR will not get sacked. And don''t get distracted from the real issue here. We\are in this ridiculous predicament because of the board. They are the ones who should be at the recieving end of angry fans, not the manager.

Maybe people would be a bit more forgiving to the manager though if he wasn''t such an arrogant ar$ehole who seems hell bent on alienating the fans?

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]Maybe people would be a bit more forgiving to the manager though if he wasn''t such an arrogant ar$ehole who seems hell bent on alienating the fans?[/quote]

Agreed Alex

considering other managers in the championship have done more with less i fail to see how you can defend him.

choping and changing the management i agree never works,so the board are as much to blame.

to spend money and send the player back when we have a shortage of cover is suicide.

the list could go on, a good mangement team are resourcefull , roeder is not.

[quote user="singing canary"]

considering other managers in the championship have done more with less i fail to see how you can defend him.

choping and changing the management i agree never works,so the board are as much to blame.

to spend money and send the player back when we have a shortage of cover is suicide.

[/quote]

I''m not defending him. I''m saying how in my opinion, Roeder isn''t the problem. We are in this position for 2 or 3 reasons:

• We didn''t use our parachute payments well enough. Look at who West Brom bought when they went down, and compare it to who we recruited.
  • The board left the sacking of NW too late. It should have been done at the end of the previous season, giving his successor a whol summer to prepare.
  • The board made the disasterous decision to appoint Peter Grant.
  • Finally, it is the board who are responsible for our financial short-comings. Lack of investment, loss of the Turners, etc.

Roeder, Tilson, Holloway, Newell...it doesn''t matter who the board should have appointed last year, are who they could appoint if they sacked Roeder today. They''d have inherited the same situation.

We as supporters should focus our attention on the board. Changing the manager will change nothing about where we are going as a club. Incidently, who on earth would want to manage this club at the moment?

[quote user="The Voice of the Thorpe Area"][quote user="singing canary"]

[/quote]

I''m not defending him. I''m saying how in my opinion, Roeder isn''t the problem. We are in this position for 2 or 3 reasons:

• We didn''t use our parachute payments well enough. Look at who West Brom bought when they went down, and compare it to who we recruited.

• The board left the sacking of NW too late. It should have been done at the end of the previous season, giving his successor a whol summer to prepare.

• The board made the disasterous decision to appoint Peter Grant.

• Finally, it is the board who are responsible for our financial short-comings. Lack of investment, loss of the Turners, etc.

Roeder, Tilson, Holloway, Newell...it doesn''t matter who the board should have appointed last year, are who they could appoint if they sacked Roeder today. They''d have inherited the same situation.

We as supporters should focus our attention on the board. Changing the manager will change nothing about where we are going as a club. Incidently, who on earth would want to manage this club at the moment?

[/quote]

Changing the manager is simply putting an elastoplast on a gaping wound.The club needs to be restructured from the top down with a prioritisation of the footballing side, and that can only happen when we have new investment.

He will (and should) go actually "Voice of Thorpe",

There are several scenarios, he could walk if the club do not re-negotiate his contract for instance ( which I certainly hope the don''t), and if they don''t he will be out of contract and gone next year (well within your million year timescale). He may be tempted to join another club that falls for the blarney he trots out. (please)

He has spent quite a bit of money, loan players don''t come free nowadays, and even if he had bought he would probably have purchased our loanees( or similair) instead of borrowing them and we wouldn''t be any better off.

He had a good team last season, a group of players that did very well and were unbeaten for a dozen or so matches at Championship level, all he needed was to consolidate with those and add one or two new buys. Instead they crumbled in his hands and barely escaped relegation, he then sacked most of them and left us in the situation we are now faced with.

I for one agree with the man from Thorpe. No other manager would do a better job under these circumstances and sacking Roeder would only add to the instability.

The simple fact of the matter is the only way things are going change is through mass investment. If we get our wish of new owners, then Roeder may or may not remain as manager.

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"]

He will (and should) go actually "Voice of Thorpe",

There are several scenarios, he could walk if the club do not re-negotiate his contract for instance ( which I certainly hope the don''t), and if they don''t he will be out of contract and gone next year (well within your million year timescale). He may be tempted to join another club that falls for the blarney he trots out. (please

[/quote]

They might not renew his contract at the end of next season. But he won''t resign (he hardly seems the type does he?), and if he is such a bad manager, why would another club want him?

The only way that Glenn Roeder will leave this club before the end of his contract, is if he is sacked. And the board won''t sack him, because we can''t afford it. Sacking him would result in even less funds to help improve the squad, or even worse, moving us closer to financial disaster.

I sometimes wonder about the brainpower of some of our fans. It doesn''t matter who our manager is, as long as the club''s hierachy remains in charge, these problems will reoccur over and over again. You can protest against Roeder all you like. He isn''t the problem here.

As I said, we as fans need to prioritise who we should aim our anger at. By directing it at Roeder, the board are getting away with devaluing our club by the day.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]I for one agree with the man from Thorpe. No other manager would do a better job under these circumstances and sacking Roeder would only add to the instability. The simple fact of the matter is the only way things are going change is through mass investment. If we get our wish of new owners, then Roeder may or may not remain as manager.[/quote]

Thank-you Jim (good to see some sanity on this board at least!). By the way, I''m not from Thorpe, that''s the are of the ground where I sit!

"Voice of Thorpe"

Just because my opinions are not yours doesn''t mean I lack your "brainpower" or that I lack the "sanity" of you and those that agree with you.

As soon as you need resort to belittle your dissenters you lose credibility of your case I feel.

The problem now on top of all of our other problems is that Roeder  now appears to be alienating the fans.With the fans on his back and the players not performing for him his time could be short, even though the last thing we need to be doing now is chopping and changing Managers.

The financial position of the club shouldn''t be used as an excuse for our mediocrity cause at the end of the day most clubs in our League wouldn''t have NO financial hardships and I bet we''re still in a better position than most!

I''ve always said that things have gone wrong since Worty made too many bad decisions after getting promoted but Roeders bad decisions have made the situation very bad and we''ll be lucky to stay up the way things are going now!

The board have made some bad decisions and are now over the hill but they know all that but if noone comes forward to buy them out then we are stuck with them!

But I still think paying the best part of £1M now to get rid of Roeder will be cheaper than keeping him on too long cause then it''ll be too late and we''ll lose income through lack of crowds either by just scrambling to safety or geting relegated!

There are managers at lower league clubs who get crowds that would comfortably fit into the Jarold stand that do well on smaller budgets than ours, who aren''t obsessed with overated Premiership reserve players, knows of good players in the lower Leagues who''ll do a job for us similar to how Hull, Reading have and now Bristol City and Swansea are doing and would see coming to Norwich as the next step up the ladder not like Roeder who sees this as his last chance for a big payday..

I hate seeing this yearly change of manager situation cause its means the club isn''t doing well and one year we''ll get caught out and relegated but I''m afraid regardless of the money situation and the need for new owners, Roeder isn''t the man for the job, results and his actions prove that and we''re only going one way with him in charge!

Lets turn the title of the thread around shall we? [:)]

Reasons why he should be sacked( in no particular order)

1) He has no respect for the fans of this club who help to pay his wages

2) He''s rude and arrogant and doesn''t fit in the image of our ''''family friendly'''' club

3) He''s wasted money on loanee players who are surplus to requirements and some who haven''t actually played

4) He keeps playing players out of position

5) His subs are at times baffling

6) He has favourites who he has played even though they have had 3 or 4 bad games on the trot.

7) Gazza, Cityangel and Hucks don''t like him [:D]

8) He rules by fear at the club and has humiliated players publically therefore destroying their confidence.

9) He doesn''t give the youth players at the club a chance and prefers to impress other managers by coaching their youth players

10) He has made too many backroom changes which has affected morale, yes a new man wants his own people but you need to keep some  reliable experienced staff as your backbone when you''re rebuilding.

Need I go on??

Alex, Singing Canary and City Angel you echo my feelings brillaiantly. (CA why i am i not on your list with Gazza the Great!!!)

He''s an arrogant fool, who threatens to turn the club into a warzone if hes not careful. Respect should be both ways, and the dross that the fans are watching; makes it even more remarkable that Roeder shows such little respect or care for the fans, who pay his wages.

And as Singing Canary said; there are plenty of clubs above us who have spent far less, lost all their stars; with poor supports yet they can do better than us. So the money argument for me doesnt work...if we''re that poor we shouldnt have released Huckerby and then pay a tranfer fee for his replacement.

Weve got some players in our squad whove cost decent money, roeder has Bell, Pattison, and Hoolahan for about 1.3/4 Million. Look at Blackpool....and Swansea...

The loans are unbelievable, he pays loan fees and wages for Lupoli and Koroma, now Sibi and Lita as well, when 2 strikers including that targetman we still havent got would have been far more helpful.

Roeders lost my respect.

i''m starting to wonder about your brainpower as you put it, someone else could do a better job on the same budget! a decent manager can get the best out of our players, unlike Roeder who has broken most of them, hardly look like they''re up for playing for him now,

Whilst the board may not have invested wisely in the playing side there is no one on the board who has an input into team selection and tactics and this is where our failure is Swansea gave us a lesson in how the game should be played ball on the ground fast passing and moving. We had more chances than Swansea but scored less goals therfore they get three points we get sweet FA.

As for tactics on three occassions I saw Bertrand storm past Bell on the overlap only for Bell to cross into the centre leaving our full back up by the corner flag and we had lost possession what class. Although I have never been an England manager between Bertrand and Drury I think Bertrand is the better all round footballer but Drury is the better defender and that at the moment we should be defending to save our lives. 

[quote user="Huddy "]

Alex, Singing Canary and City Angel you echo my feelings brillaiantly. (CA why i am i not on your list with Gazza the Great!!!)

He''s an arrogant fool, who threatens to turn the club into a warzone if hes not careful. Respect should be both ways, and the dross that the fans are watching; makes it even more remarkable that Roeder shows such little respect or care for the fans, who pay his wages.

And as Singing Canary said; there are plenty of clubs above us who have spent far less, lost all their stars; with poor supports yet they can do better than us. So the money argument for me doesnt work...if we''re that poor we shouldnt have released Huckerby and then pay a tranfer fee for his replacement.

Weve got some players in our squad whove cost decent money, roeder has Bell, Pattison, and Hoolahan for about 1.3/4 Million. Look at Blackpool....and Swansea...

The loans are unbelievable, he pays loan fees and wages for Lupoli and Koroma, now Sibi and Lita as well, when 2 strikers including that targetman we still havent got would have been far more helpful.

Roeders lost my respect.

[/quote]

Sorry Huddy how could I forget one of my favourite posters [:D]

[quote user="The Voice of the Thorpe Area"]

1. We have no money. Therefore, we could not afford to pay off GR in a million years.

2. Roeder has spent hardly any money. it would be a different story he had spent £5 million, but he has had to work on a shoestring, relying largely on the loan market

3. He''s only been a charge for a year. We''re seriously in danger of becoming one of those clubs, if Roeder does go (which he won''t), who change managers every season, and whom you here stupid facts like ''they''ve had 5 managers in 5 years'' or ''they''ve had more managers than Iain Dowies changed clubs''. The clubs never prosper. Look at Leicester, for example. For 4 or 5 years now, they have constantly chopped and changed managers. And for what? League One.

For these reasons, GR will not get sacked. And don''t get distracted from the real issue here. We\are in this ridiculous predicament because of the board. They are the ones who should be at the recieving end of angry fans, not the manager.

[/quote]

Too right. Delia must be loving the fact Roeder is taking the brunt of the accusations. Despite his sickening arrogance I actually feel sympathy for Roeder. He has crap attitudes at his disposal. He has no money. He has idiots like Russell who dont understand football etiquate. He has bought a proven CB who may never paly again. He has bought Hoolihan who has turned out to be a big turd. He has a GK who constantly makes mistakes. He has few players he can call his own: He has to constantly alter the team because of this. He has no support. He has proven he can get the team playing decent football on plenty of occasions this season already. It is up tlo the players to dig deep and detect what they are doing wrong. It is the god damn board who are responsable for our downfall.

And remember he has bought in our two best players since his arrival. Give him a little respect.

I believe he should stay. Peter G. is a nice man, Nigel W. is a very nice bloke. glenn R. is NOT paid to be nice,

his immediate brief was ''keep us up Glenn'' and he did.- we were happy

ship out the deadwood- no problem there, the axe fell several times, (it''s not finished yet.)- we were happy

Do the same Glenn, keep us up while we look for new investment- ongoing, (and very hairy) 

and build a team we can all be proud of.... thats going to take a long time with little funds, any manager would struggle

if he slates the players they deserve it.

[quote user="Lenny-boy"]

I believe he should stay. Peter G. is a nice man, Nigel W. is a very nice bloke. glenn R. is NOT paid to be nice,

his immediate brief was ''keep us up Glenn'' and he did.- we were happy

ship out the deadwood- no problem there, the axe fell several times, (it''s not finished yet.)- we were happy

Do the same Glenn, keep us up while we look for new investment- ongoing, (and very hairy) 

and build a team we can all be proud of.... thats going to take a long time with little funds, any manager would struggle

if he slates the players they deserve it.

[/quote]Agreed, everyone''s obsessed by whether he likes the fans or not. Who cares ffs. Whether you like it or not, he is respected within the game, that means more to me than whether a bunch of thin skinned supporters like him. If he continues to achieve crap results though, that''s a different matter.

We may not have a choice, if we drop into the bottom 3 and then spend 4 weeks there, it will be inevitable that he''ll get sacked.What else can you do?

Let me get this straight. I am not a Roeder fan by any stretch of the imagination.

However, if fans start directing their anger at him, rather than the board- they, the real reason why we''re in this mess- will get away with it.

The constant throughout the end of the Worthy era, Peter Grant, and this season, is the board. Lack of investment, lack of ambition, in the case of Grant, a serious case contenter for ''Worst ever football appointment'', and their seemingly unwillingness to talk to Mr Cullum- all down to Doncaster and the rest. Let''s not let them get away with it by directing the blame to someone else.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]Maybe people would be a bit more forgiving to the manager though if he wasn''t such an arrogant ar$ehole who seems hell bent on alienating the fans?[/quote]I think fans would be more forgiving if the team was winning matches, but it isn''t so they aren''t.