Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Roeder's tactics against Swansea...

Did he even have a report of Swansea''s best players? Did he watch them pre match?Didnt look like it did it. There best player pre match as everyone knows was Ferrie Bodde, and he did show a lot of quality at times. Why then when you know the oppositions best player is the right wing do you play Bell who seemed to have a licence to get forward with no tracking back, along with Bertrand who seemed to have no discipline whatsoever when it came to tracking back and keeping shape. He bombed forward with no thought of defence and was out of position so many times.I know were at home but the facts are plain to see, we scoring goals now but we concede at least 2 every bloody game. You would think Roeder''s main priority would be to get only our second clean sheet all flippin season. Surely Drury should be left back if Bell''s gonna play.I actually think that Roeder played Bell on the left to prove a point to the fans and the watching Huckerby, especially after the AGM. Hindsight is great of course but they do have the tools at there disposal to plan ahead for games, and should have recognised where Swansea''s main threat was gonna come from.Surely then Drury and Pattison on the left would have snuffed out the Bodde threat. Remind me again what side of the pitch all 3 Swansea goals came from? The second Swansea decided that they better start playing and get back in the game, their whole attacking emphasis was down there right, and they duely got 3 goals from there when they stepped it up a gear.The right side of defence looked good. Doherty had a superb game, as did Semmy, and not much danger came from the right at all. Kennedy looked uncomfortabe the whole game left of centre and Bertrand went walkabout too many times. Shackell''s sale and Stefanovic''s injury could really cost us. Against Forest Drury must come back into the side to help Kennedy and keep things a bit more solid down the left.

Totally disagree with this. We are the home team and shouldn''t be worrying about how to stop Swansea playing.

Doherty did not have a superb game, what utter rubbish!

He could so easily of stopped their equilser by cutting out the ball to Scotland.

You totally disagree? Ha ha, thats laughable, so your opinion is that Roeder got it spot on then? We shouldnt be worrying about how to stop Swansea playing? Er, we should, cause we didnt and they tore us apart and won 3-2, if you hadnt noticed.

The reason we lost because when we were totally dominating the game we didn''t score the two or three goals we should have, end of.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]The reason we lost because when we were totally dominating the game we didn''t score the two or three goals we should have, end of.[/quote]That was the start of it really. So replace end of with start of.......... We all know what happened next.

Tactics - where do we start.

Play a left footer right wing and a right footer left wing, that means they will have to cut inside every time and not beat their man on the outside where there should be more room hopefully. This tactic should be employed sparingly as the opponenets will rumble this pretty quickly, and if they do, why not swop the wingers.

Hoof the ball down the pitch, another great ploy, especially when both forwards are big enough to play ''Tom Thumb'' in a local panto.

Play players out of position, we have had several managers in recent times who like this old chestnut, in fact I would go as far as to say I don''t think Glenn knows what his strongest starting eleven is.

The ''Tinkerman'' approach, Ok if you are Chelsea, or a team with a similar depth to your squad, if not forget it.

I could go on...

Er, no the reason we lost is because Swansea felt the game out and then when they realised our weak point they attacked down our left and it worked a treat cause they got 3 goals and won the game.If you analysed the game every time Swansea got hold of the ball after our attack broke down they were looking out to there right as they knew that Bell wouldnt be tracking back and Bertrand would be far up the field with Bell.

[quote user="1st Wazzock"]

Play a left footer right wing and a right footer left wing, that means they will have to cut inside every time and not beat their man on the outside where there should be more room hopefully. This tactic should be employed sparingly as the opponenets will rumble this pretty quickly, and if they do, why not swop the wingers.

Hoof the ball down the pitch, another great ploy, especially when both forwards are big enough to play ''Tom Thumb'' in a local panto.

Play players out of position, we have had several managers in recent times who like this old chestnut, in fact I would go as far as to say I don''t think Glenn knows what his strongest starting eleven is.

The ''Tinkerman'' approach, Ok if you are Chelsea, or a team with a similar depth to your squad, if not forget it.

I could go on...

[/quote]

I disagree with this a little bit. The reason Huckerby, Joe Cole, Thierry Henry, etc were so devastating on the opposite wing to their natural foot is because they can A, cut inside and shoot or B, put it back on to their "good" foot and swing a cross in towards the keeper - if you have a man who knows how to run across his Centre Back then Bob''s your uncle - goal.

When Rooney is moved to the wing, he''s moved to the left, because he can cause more trouble cutting inside. It''s a tactic that works, old shool "hit the by line and cross it for the big number 9" is out dated in modern football.

Personally, I think it will work once we get the full backs overlapping. Properly.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="1st Wazzock"]

I could go on...

[/quote]

I disagree with this a little bit. The reason Huckerby, Joe Cole, Thierry Henry, etc were so devastating on the opposite wing to their natural foot is because they can A, cut inside and shoot or B, put it back on to their "good" foot and swing a cross in towards the keeper - if you have a man who knows how to run across his Centre Back then Bob''s your uncle - goal.

When Rooney is moved to the wing, he''s moved to the left, because he can cause more trouble cutting inside. It''s a tactic that works, old shool "hit the by line and cross it for the big number 9" is out dated in modern football.

Personally, I think it will work once we get the full backs overlapping. Properly.

[/quote] You forget there is no way you can adopt that tactic with Hoolihan,

everyone knows he hasn''t got a right foot so cutting in every time

loses its surprise. Also all the best teams when they play their

wingers on the wrong side, swap them over every five minutes so the

defenders don''t know who they are marking and can''t settle. Hoolihan

needed to go left wing, and bell didn''t look interested at the end.

Bodde is a defensive midfielder. You''re thinking of Gomez or Rangel.Reports from down our way reckon you tried to play football against us, which was probably your big mistake. The teams we struggle against are the big strong direct teams who make us pay at set pieces. Teams who try to pass it get snuffed out by our energetic midfield and as you say overloaded by our attacking full backs, particularly Rangel. Your boss should be commended for trying to play passing football. I dont think he got it tactically wrong, everything I''ve heard and read seem to indicate the game could have gone either way and was of a good standard.  We play a very unique style in this league and I think thats what is catching the opposition managers and teams out.

[quote user="Barclayman"]Didnt look like it did it. There best player pre match as everyone knows was Ferrie Bodde, and he did show a lot of quality at times.

[/quote]maybe this is how hooly destroyed last season at carra rd when playing for blackpool???  we let the little genius play his game, and he took us out,,,now then, where did roedy employ this painfully obvious completely total left-footed player,,,ah yes, on the right wing...ouch,ouch,ouch, and triple doh!!!

Interesting the quote above that Kennedy looked uncomfortable all game - nothing to do with playing alongside the Doc is it?  Seemed pretty confortable alongside others.  Here I go again - Doc''s a liability, everybody is always nervous playing alongside him - should have gone instead of Shack!  Another FU decision we''ll regret, probably for ever now as he makes so many mistakes we end up relegated!  And yes I accept that we should score more, but the defence was the weak spot Saturday - two goals at any point in the game on Saturday should have been enough.

[quote user="shefcanary"]Interesting the quote above that Kennedy looked uncomfortable all game - nothing to do with playing alongside the Doc is it?  Seemed pretty confortable alongside others.  Here I go again - Doc''s a liability, everybody is always nervous playing alongside him - should have gone instead of Shack!  Another FU decision we''ll regret, probably for ever now as he makes so many mistakes we end up relegated!  And yes I accept that we should score more, but the defence was the weak spot Saturday - two goals at any point in the game on Saturday should have been enough.[/quote]Absolute nonsense. As your name indicates im guessing you didnt attend saturdays debacle. Doherty was man of the match in my view, and Neil Adams. In the last two home games agaisnt Preston and Swansea he has made the grand total of 2 mistakes in 180 minutes.Against Preston Kennedy made 5 mistakes in the first 25 minutes and numerous more after that, albeit in between of lot of good stuff admittedly. Against Swansea he looked really uncomfortable on the left and paled in comparison to Doherty. Just look at the Swansea disallowed goal from the corner in the first half for a prime example. The guys about as much use as a tree planted in the box. The ball came over, spooned off Kennedy''s knee back into the danger zone and Swansea ''scored''. So how dare you call Doherty a liability, a guy who gives is all, knows he''s not Rio Ferdinand, does the basics and plays to his strengths and as Neil Adams put it, looked like the only player willing to give his all for the shirt. And thats not to say he''s an Andy Hughes. Doherty has been a rock since his return. Very few errors, decent distribution, even putting in 2 crosses from the right wing berth at one stage! How many CB''s do you see doing that?Doherty does what he does, and what he''s there for. He gets rid, however he can and whenever necessary. And thats good enough for me.

think i made a mistake with the Bodde thing, i think its Gomez, the guy with longish black hair.Either way they were attacking down there right every time cause they recognised how weak defensively we were there.Tactics spot on, unlike ours.

[quote user="shefcanary"]Interesting the quote above that Kennedy looked uncomfortable all game - nothing to do with playing alongside the Doc is it?   [/quote]

Definitely not.

[quote user="Barclayman"][quote user="shefcanary"]Interesting the quote above that Kennedy looked uncomfortable all game - nothing to do with playing alongside the Doc is it?  Seemed pretty confortable alongside others.  Here I go again - Doc''s a liability, everybody is always nervous playing alongside him - should have gone instead of Shack!  Another FU decision we''ll regret, probably for ever now as he makes so many mistakes we end up relegated!  And yes I accept that we should score more, but the defence was the weak spot Saturday - two goals at any point in the game on Saturday should have been enough.[/quote]Absolute nonsense. As your name indicates im guessing you didnt attend saturdays debacle. Doherty was man of the match in my view, and Neil Adams. In the last two home games agaisnt Preston and Swansea he has made the grand total of 2 mistakes in 180 minutes.Against Preston Kennedy made 5 mistakes in the first 25 minutes and numerous more after that, albeit in between of lot of good stuff admittedly. Against Swansea he looked really uncomfortable on the left and paled in comparison to Doherty. Just look at the Swansea disallowed goal from the corner in the first half for a prime example. The guys about as much use as a tree planted in the box. The ball came over, spooned off Kennedy''s knee back into the danger zone and Swansea ''scored''. So how dare you call Doherty a liability, a guy who gives is all, knows he''s not Rio Ferdinand, does the basics and plays to his strengths and as Neil Adams put it, looked like the only player willing to give his all for the shirt. And thats not to say he''s an Andy Hughes. Doherty has been a rock since his return. Very few errors, decent distribution, even putting in 2 crosses from the right wing berth at one stage! How many CB''s do you see doing that?Doherty does what he does, and what he''s there for. He gets rid, however he can and whenever necessary. And thats good enough for me.[/quote]Yep, sounds about right to me.And I think Kennedy is a bit overrated, personally.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Barclayman"][quote user="shefcanary"]Interesting the quote above that Kennedy looked uncomfortable all game - nothing to do with playing alongside the Doc is it?  Seemed pretty confortable alongside others.  Here I go again - Doc''s a liability, everybody is always nervous playing alongside him - should have gone instead of Shack!  Another FU decision we''ll regret, probably for ever now as he makes so many mistakes we end up relegated!  And yes I accept that we should score more, but the defence was the weak spot Saturday - two goals at any point in the game on Saturday should have been enough.[/quote]Absolute nonsense. As your name indicates im guessing you didnt attend saturdays debacle. Doherty was man of the match in my view, and Neil Adams. In the last two home games agaisnt Preston and Swansea he has made the grand total of 2 mistakes in 180 minutes.Against Preston Kennedy made 5 mistakes in the first 25 minutes and numerous more after that, albeit in between of lot of good stuff admittedly. Against Swansea he looked really uncomfortable on the left and paled in comparison to Doherty. Just look at the Swansea disallowed goal from the corner in the first half for a prime example. The guys about as much use as a tree planted in the box. The ball came over, spooned off Kennedy''s knee back into the danger zone and Swansea ''scored''. So how dare you call Doherty a liability, a guy who gives is all, knows he''s not Rio Ferdinand, does the basics and plays to his strengths and as Neil Adams put it, looked like the only player willing to give his all for the shirt. And thats not to say he''s an Andy Hughes. Doherty has been a rock since his return. Very few errors, decent distribution, even putting in 2 crosses from the right wing berth at one stage! How many CB''s do you see doing that?Doherty does what he does, and what he''s there for. He gets rid, however he can and whenever necessary. And thats good enough for me.[/quote]Yep, sounds about right to me.And I think Kennedy is a bit overrated, personally.[/quote]I''m sure Kennedy will be a very accomplished centre back when he''s match fit and has a feel for the tempo of professional football.  And, lucky him, we''re going to give him all that so he can go back to Celtic raring to go and error-free.  A few glaring mistakes every match is the price you have to pay for bringing quality cast-offs to Carrow Road.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]I can''t quite believe we are having a debate about Kennedy and Doherty. Any football person can see Kennedy is 10 times better.[/quote]

and yet we havent kept a clean sheet when he''s played... funny that isnt it?

jas :)

[quote user="Jim Kent"]I can''t quite believe we are having a debate about Kennedy and Doherty.

Any football person can see Kennedy is 10 times better.[/quote]You obviously arent a ''football person'' then Jim. On the contrary any ''football person'' would come to the conclusion, if they analyse both players performances, in the last 2 games especially, that Doherty has been the far better performer.Less errors, better defensive work.

Agreed. For those familiar with "That Boy Ronaldo" I propose:

He should play on the left

But he plays on the ri-i-ight

That boy Hoolahan

Roeder makes him look shite

[quote user="Barclayman artist formerly known as Barclayboy"][quote user="Jim Kent"]I can''t quite believe we are having a debate about Kennedy and Doherty. Any football person can see Kennedy is 10 times better.[/quote]

You obviously arent a ''football person'' then Jim. On the contrary any ''football person'' would come to the conclusion, if they analyse both players performances, in the last 2 games especially, that Doherty has been the far better performer.

Less errors, better defensive work.
[/quote]

Yup, Doherty is without doubt the strongest defender at the club and his performances this season have proven that.

I still think John Kennedy is pretty good as well but the Doc has definitely defended better than JK and Stefanovic.