Sign in to follow this  
Puzzy magnet

Terry Butcher getting mugged off...

I have never forgiven him either and I am always surprised how often people dismiss the cheat of a first goal and want only to talk about the second "wonder" goal. Of course, his maizey (?) run for the second goal was fabulous (although some of Huckerby''s goals are comparable) but Maradona blatantly cheated us and then after the match called it the "hand of God". He was a great player, not as good as George Best though, but in my opinion he was and remains a nasty little tosser.

[quote user="Lord Snooty "]He was a great player, not as good as George Best though, but in my opinion he was and remains a nasty little tosser.[/quote]

The greats often are nasty little tossers, or a little bit crazy.  Call it arrogance / self-belief / delusion, but it can seperate them from everyone else.  That goal Gazza scored against Scotland in Euro 96, only a total and utter mentalist would have had the audacity to try something like that, yes ?

Much as it was 22 years ago and you probaly should let it go I can understand how Butcher''s still bitter like it as it''s not like Maradona got away with scoring with a handball and then was quiet and humble about it no he dubbed it the hand of god then has laughed it up about it many a time , I''ve seen Butcher on tv in the past saying he still feels robbed by it and I can understand how he feels.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote user="Lord Snooty "]He was a great player, not as good as George Best though, but in my opinion he was and remains a nasty little tosser.[/quote]

The greats often are nasty little tossers, or a little bit crazy.  Call it arrogance / self-belief / delusion, but it can seperate them from everyone else.  That goal Gazza scored against Scotland in Euro 96, only a total and utter mentalist would have had the audacity to try something like that, yes ?

[/quote]

Often but not always. Arrogance seems to go with flair, Ronaldo comes to mind, and I can understand the logic of that. Even so, George Best and Pele were/are neither nasty nor arrogant.

If, as should of happened, Maradona had been sent off for deliberate handball, he would never of been able to score the second "wonder" goal and the course of English football would perhaps have been changed forever...

...Not that I am bitter or anything [:(]

Diego Maradona spent the vast majority of his footballing career attempting to avoid tackles from the likes of Terry Butcher which had the sole intent of injuring him. He received little or no protection from the referees of the day. Is that not cheating? I think it is and that the goal which Terry Butcher has spent the last 22 years brooding over was revenge for the treatment dished out to him.

Mr Butcher would do well to remember the part he played in the second goal in that match rather than attempting to escape responsibility for Englands defeat. Maradona may be a ''cheat'' but based on the performances of them both this week there is no doubt who is the better man.

What makes me laugh is the way the Scottish make such a big deal of it, calling him a hero......how sad are they!!! Got to feel sorry for the Jocks...the only thing they have got to celebrate in Football is someone cheating us out of a world cup....jealousy hurts!!

As good as Maradona''s goal (note goal) in that match was the dazzlingly effective display put on by John Barnes, when he was brought on with 15 minutes to go and destroyed the righthand side of the Argentine defence was a sublime example of wingplay, and nearly got England level that day. It was on par with a performance I was privileged to witness at Wembley one day when Tom Finney similarly destroyed the France right back in a mesmerising display of wing artistry.

I wonder if it''s on youtube anywhere?

OTBC

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Diego Maradona spent the vast majority of his footballing career attempting to avoid tackles from the likes of Terry Butcher which had the sole intent of injuring him. He received little or no protection from the referees of the day. Is that not cheating? I think it is and that the goal which Terry Butcher has spent the last 22 years brooding over was revenge for the treatment dished out to him.

Mr Butcher would do well to remember the part he played in the second goal in that match rather than attempting to escape responsibility for Englands defeat. Maradona may be a ''cheat'' but based on the performances of them both this week there is no doubt who is the better man.

[/quote]

Blimey.

You''re right about the performance of John Barnes in that game Bly. Set up Linekers goal and another chance for him as well. One of the best players in England during the eighties but sadly, that fifteen minute cameo and his goal against Brazil apart, he never transferred his club form to international level. Whenever you think too hard about the reasons behind his lack of form for England you can''t help but come up with some fairly unsavoury answers unfortunately [:(]

[quote user="Lord Snooty "][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

Blimey.

[/quote]

Problem?

[quote user="WrightyBoy"]What makes me laugh is the way the Scottish make such a big deal of it, calling him a hero......how sad are they!!! Got to feel sorry for the Jocks...the only thing they have got to celebrate in Football is someone cheating us out of a world cup....jealousy hurts!![/quote]

one world cup.... 42 years ago.... hardly anything to be jealous of really is it? True, Scotland have never won the thing but lets face it dwelling on the glories of yesteryear are the reason the England team doesnt progress at the major tournaments.... the Media and England fans need to discard 1966 to a  page in a book.. as thats all it is now.. and not go on about it in a frenzy every 4 years....

jas :)

didnt we lose 2-1?

because i keep hearing all this "we would have won the world cup" yes we would of had fair chance if not good chance of winning it. but who to say we even ended up beating argentina let alone the finalists-

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Lord Snooty "][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

Blimey.

[/quote]

Problem?

[/quote]

If there was I''m not sure that I would dare admit it so, no, just a breathless "blimey". I think I''ll just stick with that.

[quote user="Lord Snooty "][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Lord Snooty "][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

Blimey.

[/quote]

Problem?

[/quote]

If there was I''m not sure that I would dare admit it so, no, just a breathless "blimey". I think I''ll just stick with that.

[/quote]

Oh well, if that''s the way you want to play it. We''re all grown ups here. well most of us are, so I''m quite happy for you air any issues you have with my post.

I have no problem with Maradona, every player in the professional game has cheated at some point or other, Shilton shouldn''t have been out-jumped by a someone 6 inches shorter than him. Butcher is a bitter scummer and if he''s cheesed off then he should get over it and stop mewling. He''s probably still moaning about us dumping the binners out of the Milk Cup semi too. As for Maradona being a nasty piece of work, he''s seemingly loved by the public and most people he ever worked with, he was a fantastic player and a man of the people. Argentina had by far the better of that game all the way through and we didn''t lose ''cos a nasty man cheated, we lost because we were simply not good enough. 

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]I''m with you there, Shack... Maradonna may have been a little cheat, but let''s not forget that Terry Butcher was a Scummer and always will be in my eyes, regardless of any England performances.  Darren Bent could win us the next World Cup single-handed but he''ll still be a Scummer... I''d rather watch a talented little git than a sulky old man...

I wouldn''t say that the game was any dirtier then than now to be honest. However, that should not detract from the fact that he is a dirty cheat.

[quote user="WrightyBoy"]What makes me laugh is the way the Scottish make such a big deal of it, calling him a hero......how sad are they!!! Got to feel sorry for the Jocks...the only thing they have got to celebrate in Football is someone cheating us out of a world cup....jealousy hurts!![/quote]

Well & truely, 100% spot on!!!! Jocks have THE heaviest chips on their shoulders when it comes to England.