Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Lay off Roeder: He is not the problem.

We have seen in spells this season that we have players who can perform. I left Coventry on the first day of the season having witnessed a Norwich team who passed the ball confidently and played fast attacking football. We missed loads of chances and the only thing missing was a proven goal scorer.I honestly thought we were going to have a good season. Since then Roeder has done nothing but undermine players, destroyed any confidence they had, dropped players for no apparent reason (Other than I suspect to meet agreements to play loan players) and generaly destroy any team spirit there was.

He may have contacts but he is not a manager. His man management and team management would get him sacked in industry. He is simply unable to manage people to get them to perform as a team. Football is a team sport and it needs a team leader. Sadly we have no leader on or off the pitch.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Lay off Roeder: He is not the problem.

Wronmg wrong wrong.    Not all the clubs woes are down to him and the board has to take the shots for that.

However.  Responsibility for the on pitch performance IS his sole responsibility.  He has chosen his squad and it is his and only his job to get them performing week in week out.  So far he has failed miserably - and that is no one elses fault than his.

Performances against Brum and Wolves show what his squad can do;  and performance such as those against QPR etc also show how he is failing to chose the best team,  that his tactics are not deeply embedded and that he fails to motivate the team.    HIS team - which is good enough to compete - is inconsistent in the extreme due to his failures.

Once he has identified his best team,  has learnt to motivate his players and drilled them in the style of play so that injuries do not hinder performance then the clubs problems lie elsewhere.  In the meantime our current league position is down to the playing staff. 

[/quote]

The board have to take the bulk of the blame though. Whilst there is a lot of sense in the points you are making, I do not think that there is room to criticise Roeder until he has been given a manageable budget. Have you ever thought that Roeder''s bad press comments may be borne out of the frustration of not being able to do what he wants or was promised with the squad?

[quote user="jbghost"]

His man management and team management would get him sacked in industry.

[/quote]

I think you will find that in a SME, it will get ignored or labelled as ''his unique management style'', in a larger entity he will be sent on numerous courses to deal with management issues but still nothing will cange.

As I didn''t want him here in the first place...I am fully entitled to want him out as soon as possible. He is a loser with a sackful of form elsewhere...and no-one else would have touched him with a barge-pole.

Still....that''s been the story at CR since Smith set about dismantling all the good that had gone before. 

He may not be the entire problem, but he''s certainly a major contributory factor. It''s very clear that Roeder values himself much greater than he does the team. He''s got a hell of an ego and it''s clear that he can''t motivate his team - just look at the so-called performances of late. I genuinely think the reason he wants the premiership loan players here is because he wants to asscociate himselve with their careers - so in five years when Berdrand is back at Chelsea and playing for England he can proudly say "I helped him get there". I hope he realises that we''ve actually got some very talented players coming through the youth team at Colney and that he''ll give them the opportunity to develop instead of doing all of the hard work for Fulham, Chelsea, Portsmouth and whoever else. If we''re going to take the risk on young players we''ve got plenty of our own with a youth international track record. Why can''t we give these a chance and do some good for the long term of OUR club?I also hope he also learns some respect for the us (the fans). I can''t see it though. He''s arrogant, egotistical and I don''t like him one bit (and I haven''t since he joined). I''d prefer we had a different manager, but we''re stuck with this guy for now. :(

[quote user="John Puddifoot"]

I genuinely think the reason he wants the premiership loan players here is because he wants to asscociate himselve with their careers - so in five years when Berdrand is back at Chelsea and playing for England he can proudly say "I helped him get there".

[/quote]

So its not down to the fact that they are decent players? With comments like this Roeder simply cant win. Betrand, Lita , Kennedy, Lupoli - They are some are our better players. He has no choice but to loan them: what is he to do? Deliberatly loan crap players?

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

As I didn''t want him here in the first place...I am fully entitled to want him out as soon as possible. He is a loser with a sackful of form elsewhere...and no-one else would have touched him with a barge-pole.

Still....that''s been the story at CR since Smith set about dismantling all the good that had gone before. 

[/quote]

Didnt want him here either Cluck........We know who to blame for that dont we? This is why your criticisms are best directed toward them.

Roeder isnt going anywhere so to label him a loser isnt going to improve performances.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Spot on Zipper. Shame as the team CAN play well, but are so inconsistent (due in some part to the tactics, changing them around and playing bizarrely out of position at times) he forces changes and therefore moves away from any semblance of those players gelling and learning each other''s game.[/quote]

I agree with you Gazza, the changes he implements just exaserbate the cohesiveness of the team. Though dont forget that he has been very unfortunate with injuries and suspensions and the board didnt fund him to assemble a team that has strength in depth.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Lay off Roeder: He is not the problem?.................er? I think you''ll find he is![:|]

[/quote]

He isnt a great manager Wiz, we all know that: that much is fairly obvious. I sense that you havent grasped the point of my post. There are plenty of reasons why the team is failing, and having a poor manager at the helm is one of them. However the common trend with all these reasons is that they stem from the same source. Revert your anger back on them. Deflecting your anger onto a hapless manager will only steer us closer to relegation......or is what you want? [^o)]

[quote user="TCF"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

Lay off Roeder: He is not the problem?.................er? I think you''ll find he is![:|]

[/quote]

He isnt a great manager Wiz, we all know that: that much is fairly obvious. I sense that you havent grasped the point of my post. There are plenty of reasons why the team is failing, and having a poor manager at the helm is one of them. However the common trend with all these reasons is that they stem from the same source. Revert your anger back on them. Deflecting your anger onto a hapless manager will only steer us closer to relegation......or is what you want? [^o)]

[/quote]

To be truthful TCF, sometimes I wonder if we started from scratch again that might be the best scenario..............ie administration, it didn''t hurt the scum did it?

[quote user="TCF"]

I genuinely think the reason he wants the premiership loan players here is because he wants to asscociate himselve with their careers - so in five years when Berdrand is back at Chelsea and playing for England he can proudly say "I helped him get there".

[/quote]

So its not down to the fact that they are decent players? With comments like this Roeder simply cant win. Betrand, Lita , Kennedy, Lupoli - They are some are our better players. He has no choice but to loan them: what is he to do? Deliberatly loan crap players?

[/quote]No, the point I''m trying to make, is that Glenn Roeder is much more concerned about Glenn Roeder than he is about Norwich City FC. I agree these are our best players, but where will we be in August 2009 when they go home? We''ll have spent a lot of money on their wages and we''ll be starting to build a team from scratch again.

No, the point I''m trying to make, is that Glenn Roeder is much more concerned about Glenn Roeder than he is about Norwich City FC. I agree these are our best players, but where will we be in August 2009 when they go home? We''ll have spent a lot of money on their wages and we''ll be starting to build a team from scratch again.

[/quote]

But this point doesn''t make any sense. If Glenn Roeder is only concerned about himself, then surely he is going to do the best job possible in order for him to get the "big" job he so longingly covets. Failure will do him no good whatsoever.

I''m still pretty amazed that he''s cobbled together a squad of the size and quality that he has, with bugger all funds. I''m not at all happy with how he''s managing said squad, but all the same, I do hold out some hope for the future. But we need investment, and soon.

[quote user="TCF"]

I have noticed something very concerning on this MB since the AGM, something that could prove disastrous to the future of this club if changes in attitudes are not altered. For some reason or other there has been a shift in the direction of the abuse for the club failings. I don’t know exactly what Delia Smith said at the AGM but she has somehow managed to deflect all the blame onto Roeder. The number of ‘Roeder Out’ threads being posted since Saturday is quite remarkable: they have grown in number exponentially, and in term have replaced the ‘Board Out’ threads. This is a fairly remarkable achievement given her history and neglect to the squad. Can we not see history repeating itself? Do we ever learn from the past? Is there a reason why the board are now seemingly in the clear again? Why Roeder is now the front runner for the head rolling? Surely if Roeder left the underlying problem would remain? I have given this much thought and here are my views on the matter…..

Maybe it is the fact that the club is now officially seeking new investment that is the reason. Has Delia finally done the honourable thing by employing an outside agency to actively seek new investment? Maybe, but this doesn’t wash with me at all. Have the club not already been seeking new investment for the last two seasons? I understood they had been but it now seems fairly obvious that they hadn’t. Much like the players on the pitch over the last 3 seasons, they simply weren’t applying themselves. The simple fact is this: Delia has finally waved the white flag and people no longer feel comfortable casting the blame on her. Hence the reason they have diverted their anger onto Roeder. We must collectively remember one important thing here: though she appears to have forfeited her crown, she hasn’t actually departed. Pressure is still needed to see her departure through to the end. We mustn’t get lax by taking our frustrations out on the manager.

Is it Glenns attitude that the supporters have finally had enough of? To blame the attitude of a manager is fairly stupid if you give it some thought. I agree that Roeders attitude is fuelled by arrogance. I don’t like his arrogance as much as the next man but to use it as a reason for his failings on the pitch? That is surely absurd?

Is it the performances on the pitch? It’s fair to say that recent performances, especially on the road haven’t been great but let us not forget how poor we used to be: cast your minds back to Grants final days, we all know how awful things got, we were a shambles. And don’t forget how brightly we started the season: True we weren’t picking up the points we deserved but we were finally playing half decent football again, only misfortune and a lack of fire power prevented the team earning any real success. We were dominating games to no prevail and no one can deny this. How is Roeder expected to get the team playing decent football if he doesn’t have any support? The board have never supported him, the players only support him when they feel like it, and now seemingly he isn’t getting any support from the fans. Performance wise we all know things could get a lot worse. I personally think that if the selections became a little more consistent we will finally start to pick up points. Roeders tactical approach and style of play is spot on and will eventually pay return.

Is it the loans? This is the one thing I hate about the club at the moment: it is the loans that are the root of our troubles. Roeders over reliance on the loan system is clearly his Achilles Heal and it does him and the club no favours. However, is this Roeders fault? It is his team: he chooses who comes and who goes and the manner in which they do so, surely no one can deny that? But could it have been avoided? Has Roeder been given the financially backing to arrange a team he can call his own? The answer to this is clearly NO. The fact he had practically no money to spend pre season is testament to this, personally I think he should be rewarded for assembling the squad he has on a wafer thin budget. Let us get something straight here: The reason why Roeder has so many loans is because it was the loans that saved our club from relegation last season. Back then they could do no wrong. The board took note of this and saw it as an excuse to cut corners, to save on the outgoings. However loans should have only ever been a short term solution. The fact that the board expected Roeder to rely on them long tern is a disgrace.

Is it the team selections? This is the only thing I can truly knock Roeder for. They can be at times quite ridiculous and down right illogical. I mean what on earth goes through his head when he makes his selections?! He constantly fields Croft and Fotheringham when they both clearly have no end product. He constantly plays players out of position when it isn’t really required. He constantly leaves our better players (Lupoli) out of his team selections, preferring over the hill goal dodgers who have done nothing to deserve a recall. Is he insane? He doesn’t seem to realise that these are school boy errors, it’s almost deliberate!!

My final point is this: What is the advantage of turning against a man who isn’t going anywhere any time soon? It would be foolish to do so. Let’s face facts: the club don’t have the money to sack him and even if they did do you honestly believe they would use it to pay off Roeder? Not a chance in hell. He is staying till at least the end of the season and probably beyond. He isn’t the best manager in the world but he’s the best we’ve got and the best were going to get given the financial climate. Concentrate your anger on the board or else we are never going to get out of the sinking sand. Focus on replacing them. If the fans get behind the manager and the team it will breed confidence. Back the team ad not the board.

[/quote]

I stand by this thread. One thing I didnt see tonight was a team not standing by their manager. Lets get behind the team on Tuesday night eh!