Sign in to follow this  
Hayden

Huckerby - Haven't we learnt yet?

The guy was great today, he is the match winner we need and I cannot fault him......

However.....

The lad has played with us for nearly a year now and we still haven''t learnt. Huckerby is a brilliant left winger and I don''t mean we should play him there becasue I value my life, but what happened every time Darren went off rampaging down the left on a run on Saturday ...

Bentley stopped as Hucks again ran into his space
Everybody watched him and went "ooh, he''s quick" rather than realise he was about to carve open an opportunity
There was nobody willing to take a chance by heading for the box, he will create goals for others

We have got to get more players in the box and we have got to give Hucks some help, Matty looked knackered after 30 minutes, come on boy, you can score goals, get in the gym! I am not criticising any players, a point is a point at the end of the day, we just need to gel and the new players need to do it quick.

A good point Hayden, I noticed on Sat the lack of support in the box, for whatever reason. I guess it stems in part from our style of playing so deep. A style which has got us this far, but does make us look like a counter-attacking away team even at home!

So yes, instruction to players: when we have the ball and are breaking forwards, get forward and into the box more.

Not helped by the fact that Svensson played too deep too often on Sat. An interesting observation on this in Iwan''s book wheer he suggested that Matt needs to feel involved in the link-up play perhaps a little too much and drops off as a result, rather than leave himself as either an outlet or to get into the box to support Hucks. Hucks was left leading the line alone too often on Sat, and especially as the game wore on the pace of of support was too slow.
No criticism here at all as I thought all the team worked hard on Sat (it was extremely hot don''t forget and a game of plenty of pace), but if Worthy is going to try the 4/5/1 switching to 4/3/3 the former bit of this won''t work if Svensson come''s too deep, and we''ll end up penned in for too long.

Good spot Hayden - Watching MOTD it was clear that most teams regularly get 3/4 players in the box when on the attack - when was this last the case at Norwich, from open play?

Getting that support for Hux should be possible with Jonsons pace and will also stretch defences - rather than close Hux down opponents will have to watch Sven, Jonson, Bentley and one of Holt/Safri. Bentley should be looking to move into a more central position with Drury supporting Hux from behind. With Jonson coming in at the far post and Sven in the middle more chances should be created..

However it would also help if the midfield sat further up the pitch.

OTBC

That is spot on we need someone up front who can hold the ball up and allow midfield to join the attack at some points on saturday it was huckerby vrs the palace defense

i said to someone at the weekend why not play bentley up front or just behind a main target man and put huckerby on the left

I am sorry but i think it is going to be a long season if huckerby down the left is our main outlet again

Well said all the posters here, good game, but as has been said, not enough players in the opposition half giving us more options. This has always been our downfall. We must get it right if we are to be a force to be reckoned with in this league. As I see it our shape was fairly good but to do it better we need to keep this shape ten yards further up the field. This will also do away with the tendancy to punt long balls up the field. It will also enable us to lift the load from Hucks, giving the strike options from more players; at least two please. It will also mean that we break up opposition attacks and intercept clearance balls before Fortress City have to make the favourite last ditch tackles in our own six yard area. I was more than pleased with the lads effort on the day, and would go whole heartedly along with First Wiz''s remarks on another post, I believe it was yesterday, regarding unnecessary criticism of individuals. Get behind the lads. OTBC!!!