Sign in to follow this  
Jonncfc

Where will we be in a year's time?

My God, what a mess this club is in.  A squad that is virtually worthless financially with half of it made up of loan players and which seems incapable of playing acceptable football more than one match in 4.  Despite being one of the best supported clubs in the Championship and having an income stream as high as it''s ever likely to get in this league we have a debt of enormous proportions that, although apparently secured and serviceable, means on a month by month basis we are only just keeping our heads above water.  A board of directors from whom nothing is ever heard other than from the salaried employee of the club who is their mouthpiece and from which 2 members walked away recently for reasons unknown. An apparent lack of any long-term plan - if there is one, I''ve never heard it being publicised or discussed by members of the Board or the CE.  And seemingly no money whatsoever available for transfers which, given we only own half the squad, must be a major cause for concern.

I find it truly alarming that there seems to be an acceptance amongst those in power at Carrow Road that we should be happy to settle for what we''ve got and that survival as a Championship club is a worthy aim for us.  Have they forgotten the history of this club over the last 40 years?  Finishing 3rd, 4th and 5th in the top flight; winning the Milk Cup; playing in Europe (would have done it several times were it not for the ban on English clubs); 2 league cup finals in the 70s; 2 FA Cup semi-finals (not counting 1959 of course because that was before we were any good); being an established and respected top flight club for many years (yes, we got relegated 3 times but came straight back up on each occasion); beating the best clubs in the land on a regular basis and not being particularly surprised when we did; and always having players of true class in the squad.  Don''t tell me that those sort of achievements are now beyond clubs of our size - about half of the premiership is made up of clubs similar to Norwich. 

Yet without any significant investment where will we be this time next year?  If we manage to cling-on to our place in the Championship we will have lost all of the loan players and there will be no money to buy any permanent replacements.  Consequently, even if we managed to scrape together 11 players each week, the quality would be even worse than it is now and relegation would be even more likely than it currently appears.  However, if we don''t improve this season than, make no mistake, relegation is a very real possibility.  If that happens our income stream would inevitably reduce, our crowds (and therefore season ticket sales) would drop, the loan players wouldn''t be replaced, the squad would be even worse than it is now, and I suspect we would find it increasingly difficult to make our monthly interest payments.  If we don''t meet our interest payments, we know what happens in those situations - look at Leeds, Luton, Bournmouth, Rotherham etc.  Given the stringent points deductions that go along with that, a further relegation would be almost unavoidable.

Continuing as we are, although perhaps acceptable to some members of the Board in the short term, simply isn''t a viable scenario.  Selling-up by the current majority shareholders implies that the Club is actually really worth something - however, if the worst happens then presumably the value of the Club would be minimal and shares would be virtually worthless anyway.  There needs to be an acceptance on the part of those who perhaps have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo for the time being that the longer they let the current situation drag on the more likely it is that our club is going to hit rock bottom.  There seems to be a lack of realism in the Boardroom - there has to be a willingness to compromise, perhaps very significantly, if any potential takeover is ever going to be a possibility. Acting in the best interests of the Club is what is required.  Regardless of previous difficulties in years gone by I firmly believe that this Club is in as dangerous a state as it has ever been.

Anonymous One, for all our sakes, name yourself! You deserve to be heard, no need to hide.

A very good summary of what''s happened - and the low expectations of those in power. A shame that this has transferred to a good many supporters who think we should somehow be grateful for remaining in the Championship. To me it''s still not good enough.

To answer your question, I am afraid, that without significant investment from the Board (or their replacements) and a sense of pride and application from the team we will be in League One, that''s the Third Division to us oldies, and if this happens it will be a first for me, and totally unacceptable, as you say given our recent history and number of supporters generating more money than many of our opponents.

Great post, keep it up!

hopefully, the club will be under the control of new owners - with honest ambition and the money to credibly achieve it...regretfully, i don''t see a sale until the end of the season, and with luck we will keep our champs status...but until then, imo - we''re in for a rough ride and a difficult transition,,,

It''s not a question of if we get relegated but when. We are on a gradual decline and if not this season then it will be the next ot the one after that. I am slowly coming to the view that that may be the price we have to pay to get rid of the incompetent board led by the belligerent trout. 

[quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]In a years time we will be... ...top of the league and havin a laugh[/quote]

are you Delia smith?

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]In a years time we will be... ...top of the league and havin a laugh[/quote]

are you Delia smith?

jas :)

[/quote]

Didn''t specify which league. [;)]