Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost of Percy Varco

South Stand - Shhhhhhhhhh!

I wonder whether the ghosts that once occupied the South Stand and were rellocated during the rebuilding have retaken their positions? and the half season ticket holders who must of been the main source of the new noise have been shifted?last season the main wave of noise started from the upper central area of the stand - on Saturday I noticed that the wave had moved closer towards the river end and was alot smaller than last season - can be that they have been dispersed which is a great shame.

Look,stop having a go at those people in the South Stand Varco or they''ll be forced to respond by raising their eyebrows and tutting in your general direction (provided they can stay awake long enough of course).

I think the additional away fans that we have to accommodate have taken away the seats of the more vocal South Stand fans we had last season. Appears like we are back to the old South Stand occupants!

I agree with all thats been said, the South Stand was seriously quiet. I was sitting there as one of my three membership allocated tickets and was doing my best to start things off. However, I was sitting about 5 seats (plus barrier) away from the Palace fans who were particularily impressive generally stifled any attempts to start any chants.

I was surrounded by what I would call "non-singers" - kids and grannies (although I''m sure a few sing) and whilst there may have been five or six others around me trying too, nothing took hold. What it needs is more encouragement from the Barclay and Snakepit. The chant "we''re the Barclay/Snakepit over here" was very good and we were trying to join in but didn''t have the chance. IMHO if the Barclay and Snakepit want to have others making noise they need to actively encourage it from the South Stand. Last season showed that there are singers in the South Stand but they need help and to be nurtured by the more established areas.

Help the South Stand and you will get some return.

the south stand (we will never call it the jarrold stand, let''s face it) needs time to establish, come on, there once was no snakepit either!!

it will come in time, all it needs are 50-100 people to get in there from the barclay - i agree with above points - the away section was full and to their credit the palace fans were superb

i think in a couple of years it will be like the barclay, the away fans should encourage singing, it is difficult for any area away from the naturally vocal - there are people who truly just want to sit and watch!! believe me i know, i was nearly ejected from the family enclosure for being too noisy years ago!

We were half season-ticket holders in the South Stand last year as were many round us. Most have taken up season tickets and we were making a fair bit of noise - but we could only hear Palace (not the Barclay) so if you were asking to ''Sing up the South Stand'' we didn''t hear (and we''re in Block N).