Sign in to follow this  
seat124

David Norris

I know some say he wasn''t doing a hand cuff sign, so what was he auditioning for x-factor in a small way?  He needs to go to deaf school to learn sign language if he''s that desperate to sign things to his mate in prison.

[quote user="Chabal"]

And as for the Matty Patison - there is NO difference whatsoever in my view - Pattison was simply lucky and McCormick was unlucky.

[/quote]Pattison was lucky, yes, but to call McCormick unlucky is just to excuse drink-driving.  It''s like referring to someone who fires a gun randomly into a crowd as unlucky if they hit and kill someone.The unlucky ones are the children who have had their lives ripped away and the parents/family who will never recover from it.I agree (with someone) though that football supporters are the most hypocritical group there are.  No doubt several of the supporters (I am a Norwich fan btw) who hurl abuse at Norris will have ''a couple'' at the ground, then drive home.  Similarly supporters will fire off streams of obscenities at players, then throw a wobbly if any player swears back with such quotes as ''I had my kids with me and they heard everything''.

Norris has been very stupid. When you are in the public eye you have to use some common sense! If he''s lucky he will get away with a hefty club fine..though i see the FA may be interested too.

As for McCormick, he should have to spend a lot longer behind bars for what he did. He knew what he was doing was wrong. Footballers earn a fortune...why could he have not used a taxi???

Pattison was fortunate that he didn''t do something similar.. the punishment he got fitted the crime he committed under current laws, i''m not sure you could find a punishment to fit McCormick''s crime that would seem like justuce to anyone.

[quote user="Eighties Fan"][quote user="Chabal"]

And as for the Matty Patison - there is NO difference whatsoever in my view - Pattison was simply lucky and McCormick was unlucky.

[/quote]

Pattison was lucky, yes, but to call McCormick unlucky is just to excuse drink-driving. 
It''s like referring to someone who fires a gun randomly into a crowd as unlucky if they hit and kill someone.
The unlucky ones are the children who have had their lives ripped away and the parents/family who will never recover from it.

I agree (with someone) though that football supporters are the most hypocritical group there are.  No doubt several of the supporters (I am a Norwich fan btw) who hurl abuse at Norris will have ''a couple'' at the ground, then drive home.  Similarly supporters will fire off streams of obscenities at players, then throw a wobbly if any player swears back with such quotes as ''I had my kids with me and they heard everything''.
[/quote]

Excellent post. I totally agree with all of that.

People like McCormick  cannot and should not be defended, but the actions of fans in generating a reaction and then coming over all puritanical is becoming much too common, as is the tendency to exult in the misdemeanours of others. I recall an Ipswich player being questioned about possibly having hit his partner in the summer.Some on here couldn''t wait to fire bullets,completely overlooking a certain ex City midfielder''s curent stay at Her Majesty''s pleasure for attempted murder.Glass houses and all that!

Lee Hughes soon got a club lined up , once he got out of Prison - never heard him publicly speak about the accident he had when he killed someone 

McCormack was a complete idiot , wasn;t it Norris''s wedding he had been to ? If it was then surely as they are such good friends Norris could have had a word or got somebody to have and deterred McCormack from heading down the M6 as he did

Irrespective of who Norris plays for ( unlucky for him who he does ) to come out in a match situation and support a convicted drunk driver is wrong and should be dealt with harshly, I have seen no Plymouth player even mention Mccormack , let alone do any gesture , and he played for them last season. If the symbol was a private gesture , as he says - then he should say what it signified and then that is the end of it , if it was a gesture for/to McCormack then he deserves a ban 

Ipswich should make the first move and do something - have they issued any statement yet ? 

For example Freddy Sears did a similar sign with his first goal for West Ham, so perhaps it is just a celebration rather than the intention of supporting McCormack.

I imagine this is because the the club badge, over lapping hammers, just a guess.

As for Norris, not the brightest thing to do but footballers are stupid, not as big a deal as it is made out to be. Showing support to a mate is in no way condoning what he as done. We would all still up for our mates had they done something wrong.

This whole fiasco is just b*ll*cks, frankly.The comparison I see is between Norris this week and Ross/Brand last week.  On both occasions, perhaps one or two people complained at the time - but "the media", meaning a journo hard-up for stories in the relentless 24 hour news cycle, decided to whip up some hysteria and the baying pack of press and TV reporters followed, sensing blood.  Only after it was reported did people start to complain - complaining about something they didn''t see or hear.  It''s laughable.  We then have the press knocking on the door of the family cruelly affected by McCormick''s idiocy and they are asked to relive it all again for a brief soundbite on the evening news.  All for what? Another two minutes of news to plug the 24 hour cycle.Ipswich had to fine him just to stop the reporters camping outside the club - if they hadn''t, it would look like a refugee camp come the morning.  In this populist, hang ''em, flog ''em, knee-jerk world, they couldn''t possibly turn round and say "the lad''s stupid, we''ve had a word, end of."  Action must be taken before some well-meaning vigilante, stoked up by the Daily Mail (which Charlie Brooker recently and quite rightly called "a perfect guide to being an idiot, in daily instalments"), burned the stadium down.What McCormick did was disgusting and he is serving a jail sentence for it, but if my best friend, who had been at my wedding, ended up in the same mess then I would want to let him know I hadn''t forgotten him.What Norris did was daft, but brief and insignificant, but we don''t pay footballers for their brains.  Honestly, you''d think this was more important than rising unemployment and the imminent threat of recession.

I think the most sick part of all this is the fact that he decided to drive prior to going to the wedding. Him and his friend are a couple of obnoxios and arrogant Footballers who believe themselves to be above the law. He has turned up to the wedding intending to drink and drive and the Groom would have known this. With all the money they earn they could not arrange a Mini-bus or Taxis???!!!! A couple of sick individuals that just add to the contempt footballers are held in these days.They deserve all that they get!!!

it''s a question of respect, or rather lack of it. Think of the family coping with their bereavement. Then you get this moron feeling that he''s got to show some solidarity with his mate, who was too stupid to realise he should have been sleeping it off instead of being on the road. The scummers response has been pathetic and Talksport have been rightly slaughtering them and Norris for it. 

To make that gesture knowing that two young boys had by killed by his "mate" is insensitive beyond words.  To the Scum''s credit (did I really say that?) they have fined him.  Sure fans around the country will make decent people''s feelings known to him in no uncertain manner and so they should.

[quote user="Dicky"]To make that gesture knowing that two young boys had by killed by his "mate" is insensitive beyond words.  To the Scum''s credit (did I really say that?) they have fined him.  Sure fans around the country will make decent people''s feelings known to him in no uncertain manner and so they should.[/quote]If it wasn''t meant to be a handcuff sign he wouldn''t be thinking about the two poor kids. 

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Chabal"][quote user="VOR"]

Can you actually read Nutty, where have i stated I am defending David Norris, i agree he has been extremely stupid and insensitive.

However people are calling for him to be banned for life when he actually hasn''t broken the law is just a bit ridiculous. The reaction he is getting is of someone who has committed a serious crime. I''m sure his club will dicscipline and I''m ensure he will make a private apology to the family as well as the public apology already made. Hopefully he will aslo have the decency to donate a few to a drink drive awareness campaign as well as the fine he will no doubt receive.

[/quote]

Agreed - it is hugely insensitive and has no place on a football pitch, but Norrris was not trying to condone what his friend had done. In fact he''s repeatedly said in interviews that McCormick deserves his prison sentence. What he was trying to do was stand by his friend when so many others were deserting him. The way he did it was clearly wrong but to accuse him of condoning murder is ridiculous.

[/quote]

He could easily have visited him in prison and shown his support that way, being such a good mate, instead of being highly insensitve knowing it would be caught on camera and that the family who lost loved ones would see it.  Like rubbing salt in the wound a bit.

[/quote]

100% right any normal guy who wanted to show his solidarity for his mate could have visited him on the quiet, McCormick doesnt deserve any public support whatsoever. I and most other fans would have been very angry had any Norwich player scored at the time Pattison had got banned and done the ''Gazza against scotland drinking'' celebration or something similar. Let''s hope all fans around the country give the berk a really hard time when he visits their grounds, letting all players and fans alike know this country hates drink drivers.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]This whole fiasco is just b*ll*cks, frankly.

Ipswich had to fine him just to stop the reporters camping outside the club - if they hadn''t, it would look like a refugee camp come the morning. 

[/quote]

Mr C - this is Ipswich you are talking about, it looks like a refugee camp every morning anyway.

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]This whole fiasco is just b*ll*cks, frankly.Ipswich had to fine him just to stop the reporters camping outside the club - if they hadn''t, it would look like a refugee camp come the morning.  [/quote]

Mr C - this is Ipswich you are talking about, it looks like a refugee camp every morning anyway.

[/quote]I now feel offended on behalf of every refugee in the World.

Dave Bassett on Talksport is saying that Ipswich should have banned Norris for a month, as he would have done. Norris has now released a statement stating that he did not do a handcuff sign. Strange considering he has been fined for it!!!  I think this is damage limitation because he now expects an FA ban.

Personally, I think a three or four match ban is appropriate(I think Tim Cahill got something similar)  and I do not think that he will be playing against us in December.

[quote user="paul moy"]

Dave Bassett on Talksport is saying that Ipswich should have banned Norris for a month, as he would have done. Norris has now released a statement stating that he did not do a handcuff sign. Strange considering he has been fined for it!!!  I think this is damage limitation because he now expects an FA ban.

Personally, I think a three or four match ban is appropriate(I think Tim Cahill got something similar)  and I do not think that he will be playing against us in December.

[/quote]

Tim Cahill didn''t get banned or fined.

i commend ipswich for their attitude to this in truth. they have fined him, made him write to the family, and made him donatte a sum to charity. i dont think an education course on etiquette and manners would be out of question though.he is a very stupid man. And as for mc cormick, he is an undefendable waynekerr

[quote user="C T"]Didnt actually KILL 2 LITTLE BOYS? [:@] I would turn against any NCFC footballer that showed support to a child killer
[/quote]

But you still support Pattison, a convicted drink driver (the same thing that mccormick did that led to the deaths of those boys). What a hypocrite.

[quote user="Chabal"]

[quote user="C T"]Didnt actually KILL 2 LITTLE BOYS? [:@] I would turn against any NCFC footballer that showed support to a child killer[/quote]

But you still support Pattison, a convicted drink driver (the same thing that mccormick did that led to the deaths of those boys). What a hypocrite.

[/quote]Problem i have, is throughout this entire thread, you from Ipswich have leaped to defend the whole situation, by using Pattison. We were all dissapointed and gave him stick for what he had done, however lucky he was, he got that luck, and hopefully is a better man for it.

[quote user="C T"]We gave him stick when it first happened. Norris gives support to a child killer- i know who I''d rather be.....
[/quote]

Yep, and its a convicted criminal! Great morals!

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Chabal"]

[quote user="C T"]Didnt actually KILL 2 LITTLE BOYS? [:@] I would turn against any NCFC footballer that showed support to a child killer
[/quote]

[/quote]

Problem i have, is throughout this entire thread, you from Ipswich have leaped to defend the whole situation, by using Pattison. We were all dissapointed and gave him stick for what he had done, however lucky he was, he got that luck, and hopefully is a better man for it.
[/quote]

I''m criticising the hypocrisy more than anything. If i recall correctly Patison was not even banned from any matches, and it was widely reported that he recieved a standing ovation and a hug from the players after being subbed in his next match. Pattison actually endangered people''s lives - that he didn''t kill anyone was more by luck than judgement. And i don''t remember him donating any money to charity despite actually being guilty of a crime!

As for Norris, he was stupid - he''s guilty of an ill thought out, insensitive display of loyalty to his friend. It''s his prerogative to do that, but not in public and not in a Town shirt. I think his punishment is apt. a fine, a personal apology to the parents (not to ther press or the general public), and a donation to a relevant charity 

And now Norris is denying making a handcuff sign and saying it was not a message to Luke McCormick , makes you wonder why the Scummers fined him and warned him of his future conduct if hes completely innocent , i think we can safely say Mr Norris is a blatant liar as well as a nasty piece of work .

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]And now Norris is denying making a handcuff sign and saying it was not a message to Luke McCormick , makes you wonder why the Scummers fined him and warned him of his future conduct if hes completely innocent , i think we can safely say Mr Norris is a blatant liar as well as a nasty piece of work .[/quote]

Been banned from twtd!?

Well congratulations for using the deaths of two small children to score points on an internet message board. Your mother would be proud, i''m sure.

Luckily the vast majority of Norwich fans have had reasonable and proportionate responses.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]This whole fiasco is just b*ll*cks, frankly.The comparison I see is between Norris this week and Ross/Brand last week.  On both occasions, perhaps one or two people complained at the time - but "the media", meaning a journo hard-up for stories in the relentless 24 hour news cycle, decided to whip up some hysteria and the baying pack of press and TV reporters followed, sensing blood.  Only after it was reported did people start to complain - complaining about something they didn''t see or hear.  It''s laughable.  We then have the press knocking on the door of the family cruelly affected by McCormick''s idiocy and they are asked to relive it all again for a brief soundbite on the evening news.  All for what? Another two minutes of news to plug the 24 hour cycle.Ipswich had to fine him just to stop the reporters camping outside the club - if they hadn''t, it would look like a refugee camp come the morning.  In this populist, hang ''em, flog ''em, knee-jerk world, they couldn''t possibly turn round and say "the lad''s stupid, we''ve had a word, end of."  Action must be taken before some well-meaning vigilante, stoked up by the Daily Mail (which Charlie Brooker recently and quite rightly called "a perfect guide to being an idiot, in daily instalments"), burned the stadium down.What McCormick did was disgusting and he is serving a jail sentence for it, but if my best friend, who had been at my wedding, ended up in the same mess then I would want to let him know I hadn''t forgotten him.What Norris did was daft, but brief and insignificant, but we don''t pay footballers for their brains.  Honestly, you''d think this was more important than rising unemployment and the imminent threat of recession.[/quote]Very well said Mr Chops.I would add that if we stopped treating footballers as ''role models'' and accepted that they are just young men who happen to be better at booting a ball around a pitch than the rest of us we could avoid a lot of this hysteria when they f*ck up. McCormick made a huge mistake which has torn the heart from a family and I honestly cannot begin to imagine how those poor people can cope with such a tragedy. He''s been punished and hopefully will learn from his mistake. That won''t bring those two poor kids back to life but like it or not it''s the best that we can hope for.As for Norris, I guess he probably regrets his actions now but what do people want him to do? If he publicly disowned McCormick would that make them happy? Of course it wouldn''t. I''ll admit to having a slightly vested interest in this matter as somebody very close to me was banned for drink driving last last year. Thankfully he caused no real damage but that was more down to luck than judgement I guess. From that one mistake he has seen his life go to pieces and whilst I don''t feel he deserves any sympathy I do think he deserves a second chance. I''m providing whatever support I can for him and his family at the moment as essentially he''s a good lad who just happens to have made one big mistake. I suspect that some of you think that makes me as bad as David Norris but frankly I couldn''t care less.