Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

From Hero to Zero in one easy lesson.

How to go from hero to zero in one easy lesson: Simple, play for Norwich City!. A bit strong eh?, well, judging by some of the comments aimed in Svensson''s direction on these boards, that would seem sadly, to be the case.

Have you all forgotten his goals, and assist''s last season etc, so easily?. Please give the guy a break!.

Already some pond life on here, has also had a go at Sir Worthy, can you belive that?, after all he''s achieved!. One game into the Premiership, and his subsitute decision cost us the game, that my friends, is bloody ridiculous. I don''t think we were good enough to win, simple and painful to hear maybe, but I belive it to be true.

But, that does not give anyone the excuse, or right to ''slag off'' players and the manager. All we ask is that they work hard, and EVERYONE of them, including Matty, worked their little cotton socks off yesterday, in very hot, humid, conditions. I for one, am proud of them all!.

The national sports media can all go to hell, as far as I''m concerned. All you moaners are doing their job for them. However, you could do the same as me, you know, don''t read the biased and stupid junk!.

I''m damn proud of Norwich City. Win or lose. So please don''t moan or grumble this season, and leave players and management alone, and make that your golden rule. Or I''ll turn you all in to toads for a week!.

Remember, united we stand, divided we fall!.

With you completely 1st Wizard
The ones thing that does scare me this season is that when things go wrong people will not get behind the team.
P.S Were you & your wand feeling a little off yesterday?
Did the euphoria get to you a tad

Hang on a bit - I''ve said (along with others) that Svensson had a bad game against Palace and that he seems to have lost form: the majority of people who saw the game would agree with that. I think it would be better for him and for the club to let him regain form in the reserves, and bring in Leon, or maybe play Jonson up front. That doesn''t mean that I''ve lost faith in Svensson, or think he''s a zero, or want him out, but you have to face facts - we''re going into a series of games with the big guns, and that''s not the place for a striker struggling for confidence. The way I read Svensson is that he''s very self-critical and affected by confidence, so take the pressure off him a bit, let him play for the reserves and maybe use him as a sub. Nothing personal at all. I want him back, cruising around, looking dangerous, scoring and assisting like he was at the back end of last season.

I want to see Sven given plenty more games. One bad one doesn''t make a season. Think back to Palace away last year. Most of us (me included!) cept the Wiz, were slamming Sven for his performance. Then he goes and whacks goals in left, right and centre! If he plays to the best of his ability there is no reason why he can''t do that this year. I''m just saying that it would be nice to have another target man to increase competition.

Keep the faith

I have a sneaking suspicion that we''ll see the norwich and svensson of old in the man u and newcastle games where less will be expected of us. The pressure on our boys to win on saturday must have been imense and it didn''t surprise me that the performance was slightly below par. I still have faith we can surprise some this season

Old Boy, how on earth can you lose form after one game! It is statements like these that make me despair, Svensson didn''t have his best game by any means but suggesting he has lost form is ridicoulous. He worked hard and defended well and if he continues working hard he will have my full support.

Also on other threads suggesting that we are missing Iwan, we really are in trouble if Iwan would be our saviour this season.

1st Wizard you are indeed wise, sod the pundits,sod the press,sod the moaners - let''s just enjoy this whole experience and who knows we might just come out of it at the end of this season as a team STILL in the Premier League. If the ''glass half empty'' brigade continue with their moaning,whinging Victor Meldruw approach this may just filter through to the players and have a derogatory effect.

With you 100% forevergreen, you must have wizards blood in you somewhere!. Very wise words, you hit the nail right on the head, my friend.

Well done to all for the supportive comments. James, you''ve summed it up in a nutshell. Having read the long interview with Svenny in Saturday''s programme there is no doubt (if there ever was) that he loves it here and will be doing everything he can for the team. If he isn''t good enough ultimately then that will be because the team collectively isn''t good enough. They stand and fight together and will rise or fall together, and that will include any new players who join if Worthy thinks any areas need strengthening.
I can see why some people might be worried after Saturday but (JOURNALISTS IN LONDON ARE YOU READING THIS?) one game is nowhere near enough to judge a season upon. We should all trust those who see the players day in day out to do what is right for the club/team within the parameters that exist. If we wear the yellow and green like our players then we are part of that team and we will rise or fall with them. Better then that we contribute to the cause positively rather than inadvertently undermine the effort and progress that is being made. Well, that''s my opinion anyway!

I doubt we''ll have a single game when everybody is on top form. Lets face it, had that happened on Saturday and we only drew with Palace its not a good sign is it? With a few new faces and a highly competitive opposition who also saw this a a winnable game Its not a disaster. With our style of play we may be MORE able to frighten the likes of ManYou than the likes of Palace and West Brom. Just remember that we have always struggled against tough physical and more direct opposition.

Hux will have bad games and Greeno will make a screw up or two. Svensson is hugely reliant on service and had two new men playing on the wings. Even Gary Lineker, Ian Rush, Ian Wright never scored in every game and in some I recall them being almost invisible.

I may be mad but I think we might just get a point or two more out of the next three games than most would expect..................

No, you''re not mad... that''s the joy of football. If it always went the way it should on paper you could write the final league table now and there''d be no point.

At least (I hope) people won''t moan though if we lose the next 3 games - you certainly would have to be mad to expect us to compete on an even footing with those teams. But every now and again it happens. Am I right in thinking both Portsmouth and Wolves beat Man U last season...?

Actually now has got to be the time to play against Man U with all those key players out. That said it ain''t going to be easy.

I want to ask something of 1st Wiz to see how positive he felt about the performance against Palace. First off let me make it clear I wasn''t there, I''m a remote fan who gets down to Carrow Road once in a while, so I''m stuck with what little the TV shows us and that wasn''t much.

Was there negatives in the game that the gaffer and the boys have to sort out Wiz?

Having watched Match of the Day you can see a number of other teams that you would expect City to do well against - West Brom, Bolton(?), Man City, Spurs, Everton, Charlton(?). But even those teams have numbers of players that can turn a game, but do City?

A cunning little reply Morph. Whilst I''m more than qualified to answear and advise on magical matters to this great club, when it comes to advising Sir Nigel and the boys about football, I''m just not Worthy, excuse the pun!.

But yes, I did feel positive at the end. It was a hot and humid day, and there were many positive signs all the time, despite the heat. Hucks, Greeno, Charlton and the rest all gave glimses of better things to come this season.

The only thing that got me down was the bloody moaners having a go at Swenny near me, that really ranckeld me a bit. He''s going to ram their stupid criticisims down their sad little throats soon!.

But that kind of moaning is beyond the power of the manager and lads to sort out. No matter what they do, some idiots will always moan, I guess!.

Smashing reply though Morph, good on yer.

We only have 1 player who is capable of turning a game with a flash of brilliance and thats Hucks, Bentley also looks to have the same capability but he is far more inexperienced and needs to get a few more games before he can turn games on a regular basis. The strange thing about Saturdays game was the range of opinions from people about how well or not we played. Some say we played well, others have said rubbish. I tend to be somewhere in the middle and say that we did ok but will need to do better in the coming weeks if we are to pick up some points. The new players will get better as they play more games but I am still of the opinion that we should have spent a bit more than we have to get the extra quality in. I never buy a national newspaper because of all the rubbish they write about us but the fact of the matter is that they all seem to be of the opinion that we lack quality, surely they can''t all be wrong although I sincerely hope they''re proved so.

I really like Svensson, when people were on his back last year I found it easy to stand up for him. I think he is a very good footballer, he played a nice reversed ball for the Hux goal don''t forget. He will play better than that, just wait and remember he has only been here for 8 months, lets at least give him a full season!

LOL, I though that about Man U until I watched them on TV last week against ?Bucharest?. Having players out means we "only" have Giggs/Smith etc to deal with...!

Greyhound Louie - how long does it take to lose form? Listening to the last pre-season game, I got the impression (from Dave Stringer, not Ramblin'' Roy) that Svensson was off the pace. As he was on Saturday. To deny that he was is just blinkered nonsense. He was, as you imply, better in defence than in attack, but unfortunately he''s in the side as a striker.

It seems that the Wizard''s started a Witch-hunt (ironically, I seem to remember he had a Worthy-hunt back in the olden days), so that if you say it as you see it you''re a traitor to the cause. That''s b*ll*cks and always will be, in football, politics, and everything else. My opinion is that Svensson should be rested, and McKenzie or Jonson played in his place. Svensson will come back to form.

People should just calm down, and resume the sort of debate we had before the early-season jingoistic hysteria took a hold.

kdncfc you seemed to hit on the head the one thing the limited highlights of matches showed to me on Match of the Day. Have City only got Huckerby to turn a game on it''s head or are there others there that just need time to adapt? Jonsson, Bentley?

When you look at the other sides that I mentioned in my earlier post they seem to have more than one player who can turn a game (don''t ask me to reel off a list of names).

The one thing that will count against Svensson is his lack of pace. Pull out the names of a bunch of top strikers in the Premier League and you find a bunch of players with bags of pace.
Henry, Reyes, Rooney, Cisse, Drogba, Van Nistlerooy, Bellamy, Defoe, Vassell, Anelka(?), Pedersen(?).

So if you play Svensson you need to put on players in and around him that provide that threat. Maybe Jonsson, Huckerby, Bentley, McVeigh and McKenzie can provide that in some combination.

Another thought. Playing the next three games where we have quite low expectations means that the new team can form and gel against the best in the league. Then, hopefully, when we get to the games we really must win to survive, we have been experimenting on games we would mark down as of little hope (I believe no game is a no-hoper) rather than those where we need'' the points.

As usual I was at work on Saturday but I was told by one friend at the game that we only had one game plan which was to put long balls through for Hux to run onto. No wonder poor old Sven couldn''t get into it as many here have suggested. But we need other weapons than the one which succeeded last season, I do believe that if we fully exploit Bentley''s alleged and Jonson''s actual ability we will have many more attacking options, especially with Leon on the bench who I think is just terrific.