Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

Time for some clear thinking

So, the AGM has been and gone and what have we learned?

Well, first of all, Peter Cullum has not and will not make an offer for the club. Not a massive surprise for those constantly denigrated as board apologists or sheep, but, one hopes a huge blow to the credibilty of the revolutionaries who were agitating for an overthrow of the board on the basis that PC would ride to the rescue.It would have been a disaster.Hopefully I''ve now heard the last desperate argument of "Cullum''s really astute, he''s just waiting for the fans to drive down the price, then he''ll strike".Well ,no he wont.He has trouble enough with renegotiating Towergate''s loans to worry about NCFC.

Clearly, from the excellent feedback from those who went last night (and what a shock,Delia''s number one critic and anonymous libeller didn''t actually get there to slag her off to her face!), the board has no idea how to get us out of this mess.However, it is now clear beyond any doubt that the club is for sale,and I see the appointment of Keith Harris as a positive step, not least because it involves someone outside the club with an objective view.This will remove the scope for another tired and unsubstatiated argument,ie that its not selling because Delia is asking for an unreasonable price.

So ,we are in big trouble, not that that''s news to anyone.The question is, what can we as fans do? Well, I know that some of you still want to storm the boardroom, but what will that achieve.The current board is not the answer, but its the best we have in the absence of any alternative investor. They want out anyway,so what is the point of a board out protest,other than to frighten off potential investors? I equally don''t want to sit around moaning yet doing nothing about it (Hi Wiz and Bly), but think that any action should be positive rather than negative.(There is obviously an issue of coordination, but maybe a body such as NCISA could help here?)

Keith Harris will clearly have his work cut out, so why don''t we provide him with a petition,signed by 20,000 plus Norwich fans, setting out OUR aspirations for the club, pledging our support to new backers,including pointing out that we are more than happy to accept higher ticket prices in return for getting a decent side on the pitch, plus any other suggestions that you can all come up with?

Or, we could just carry on riding our favourite hobbyhorses on here while the club slides down the toilet.Your choice.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Keith Harris will clearly have his work cut out, so why don''t we provide him with a petition,signed by 20,000 plus Norwich fans, setting out OUR aspirations for the club, pledging our support to new backers,including pointing out that we are more than happy to accept higher ticket prices in return for getting a decent side on the pitch, plus any other suggestions that you can all come up with?

[/quote]

Good idea Beauseant, you can put my name on the list.  Are you going to make it a web petition?

[quote user="Potless Percy "][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Good idea Beauseant, you can put my name on the list.  Are you going to make it a web petition?

[/quote]

That''s where I need some help,PP. I''m pretty computer illiterate, but I''m sure that if we can agree a format, there is sufficient web expertise on the forum to get it up and running. I certainly think that a web petitio is the best format.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Potless Percy "][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s where I need some help,PP. I''m pretty computer illiterate, but I''m sure that if we can agree a format, there is sufficient web expertise on the forum to get it up and running. I certainly think that a web petitio is the best format.

[/quote]

Try www.ipetitions.com

It looks very easy, even for you! (no offence)

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Potless Percy "][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well I''m all for that idea.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

So, the AGM has been and gone and what have we learned?

Well, first of all, Peter Cullum has not and will not make an offer for the club. Not a massive surprise for those constantly denigrated as board apologists or sheep, but, one hopes a huge blow to the credibilty of the revolutionaries who were agitating for an overthrow of the board on the basis that PC would ride to the rescue.It would have been a disaster.Hopefully I''ve now heard the last desperate argument of "Cullum''s really astute, he''s just waiting for the fans to drive down the price, then he''ll strike".Well ,no he wont.He has trouble enough with renegotiating Towergate''s loans to worry about NCFC.

Clearly, from the excellent feedback from those who went last night (and what a shock,Delia''s number one critic and anonymous libeller didn''t actually get there to slag her off to her face!), the board has no idea how to get us out of this mess.However, it is now clear beyond any doubt that the club is for sale,and I see the appointment of Keith Harris as a positive step, not least because it involves someone outside the club with an objective view.This will remove the scope for another tired and unsubstatiated argument,ie that its not selling because Delia is asking for an unreasonable price.

So ,we are in big trouble, not that that''s news to anyone.The question is, what can we as fans do? Well, I know that some of you still want to storm the boardroom, but what will that achieve.The current board is not the answer, but its the best we have in the absence of any alternative investor. They want out anyway,so what is the point of a board out protest,other than to frighten off potential investors? I equally don''t want to sit around moaning yet doing nothing about it (Hi Wiz and Bly), but think that any action should be positive rather than negative.(There is obviously an issue of coordination, but maybe a body such as NCISA could help here?)

Or, we could just carry on riding our favourite hobbyhorses on here while the club slides down the toilet.Your choice.

[/quote]

Regarding the unreasonable price point you may well be right but presumably Keith Harris will be seeking investment on terms in accordance with his instructions from D&M. Unfortunately nobody quite got round to asking the question about his brief last night (i.e. are they open to a complete takeover or just investment) and the response re the "criteria" was a little vague as well. Nonetheless the quotes from Delia suggest they may be and I agree it is most definitely a step in the right direction for a club seriously looking for investment!

Great stuff mate, I completely agree with everything you say, perhaps we''ll get accused of being in control of the same account again! A petition sounds like a good idea, if you can get the support of it, but I fear that the majority of people on here are only in it for the "battle" and will not be satisfied if Delia goes anyway, they''ll just find something else to moan about, they have already started the witch hunt against Roeder.

Good luck to you, and expect my signature and comment on the petition!

[quote user="ncfcstar"]Great stuff mate, I completely agree with everything you say, perhaps we''ll get accused of being in control of the same account again! A petition sounds like a good idea, if you can get the support of it, but I fear that the majority of people on here are only in it for the "battle" and will not be satisfied if Delia goes anyway, they''ll just find something else to moan about, they have already started the witch hunt against Roeder. Good luck to you, and expect my signature and comment on the petition![/quote]

Good to see you back star! I fear that you''re probably right but we can but try. At least I''ve done something rather than talking about![;)]

As I mentioned on CA''s thread, Keith Harris has about 20 other clubs signed up ahead of us.  If we rely on him to find a saviour, it''s going to be a bloody long wait!

I''d be happy to sign a petition, but I struggle to see where any new investment will come from.  I''m not Keith Harris, but if he can''t find a buyer for Everton ?...  I suppose we would be cheaper, so he''d be pitching us at a different set of people.  Filthy rich instead of disgustingly rich.

In the current market, the likelihood of a buy-out is tied to the teams'' performance.  If the team improves enough to be troubling the play-off spots, a new investor might consider the gamble worthwhile.  I can''t see that happening, at least not this season, and possibly not under this manager.

There is always the possibility that a new investor might consider the land value of the club to be worthwhile, although at the moment only an entrepreneur with money to burn or balls of steel would attempt this in the current economic climate / housing market.  I hope people are ready to consider the possibility of moving away from Carrow Road in a few seasons time - it''s a possibility that a new investor could insist on it.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

If you click on your username on the right hand side, there are some options.  One of these options is signature.

Paste the following into the signature box :

\a href="Canaries''>http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/canaries">Canaries Petition</a>

Changing the \ character to a < character.

That should then put a link to the petition on your signature.

[/quote]

Top man!

A good and productive idea that I fully support, now we need people to get the press on board with this too.

This was an excellent idea. Until you decided to put the bit about ticket prices going up.

Do you not think the price of tickets at the minute is high enough? If a man with money comes in they will be more interested in things such as TV money than ticket prices, so they may not have bothered with that. If they now recieve this and see we are willing to pay higher prices then they are bound to put them ridiculously high.

I don''t want to sound like i''m just moaning for the sake of it. But the money we spend on season tickets is far enough, and I struggle to get money to go to away games aswell. So if it''s a choice between ..

a) sign the petition, get an incredible team but not be able to afford to go and watch
or b) don''t sign the petition and still be able to afford to have a season ticket and go to some away games in a season.

Then I would much rather pick B...

I think the statement is more important than the detail of it.  If you can get a few thousand people to agree to something, then it''s an indication of support for the statement.  Realistically anyone buying the club isn''t going to look at that statement and say "well, that''s ok, we can stick the prices up".

[quote user="Salahuddin"]A good and productive idea that I fully support, now we need people to get the press on board with this too.[/quote]

Good point Sal. I''ve e-mailed a friend at Archant,so hopefully we''ll get some help!

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

I think the statement is more important than the detail of it.  If you can get a few thousand people to agree to something, then it''s an indication of support for the statement.  Realistically anyone buying the club isn''t going to look at that statement and say "well, that''s ok, we can stick the prices up".

[/quote]

Maybe Blah but I think Shaun has a point. One of the successes of the current board is "affordable family football" and even at the prices we have now I see posts from people who can no longer afford to take all their family to games anymore. I have a season ticket in the Lower Barclay, my son and daughter share one next to it. After that I probably spend at least as much again going to away games. Of course this is laughed at by the usual suspects on here, you know the ones don''t you? The ones who think everyone who has a ST is a Delia loving sheep with a pussy''s head with a saucer of milk, you know, the ones who are waaayyyy too grand to pay money to support the team. But these are the ones who are going to be quick to sign Beausants petition. The point Shaun is making is that if his season ticket is hiked up he would probably not be able to afford to go away at all. And the way I see it if we have young fans committed enough to go all the way to Bristol, watch us lose, and then go to Derby the next week we shouldn''t do anything more to discourage them than the performances on the pitch already do.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

Maybe Blah but I think Shaun has a point. One of the successes of the current board is "affordable family football" and even at the prices we have now I see posts from people who can no longer afford to take all their family to games anymore. I have a season ticket in the Lower Barclay, my son and daughter share one next to it. After that I probably spend at least as much again going to away games. Of course this is laughed at by the usual suspects on here, you know the ones don''t you? The ones who think everyone who has a ST is a Delia loving sheep with a pussy''s head with a saucer of milk, you know, the ones who are waaayyyy too grand to pay money to support the team. But these are the ones who are going to be quick to sign Beausants petition. The point Shaun is making is that if his season ticket is hiked up he would probably not be able to afford to go away at all. And the way I see it if we have young fans committed enough to go all the way to Bristol, watch us lose, and then go to Derby the next week we shouldn''t do anything more to discourage them than the performances on the pitch already do.

[/quote]

That''s very valid, Nutty, as was Shaun''s point. I don''t want to see prices go up either, nor force fans away.In my view that''s happened too often in football in recent years. Having said that, if the only way to get new investment is to pay more, what do we do? Accept affordable mediocrity or pay more  for quality? If the consensus is that the ticket reference invalidates the petition for a lot of people then I''ll rewrite it, or let someone else do so. All is want is to feel that I''m doing something constructive rather than sitting here bleating about how bad things are.

But thats not a petition... its a statement. And I''m not sure you should be seekng to volunteer ticket prices when the board have fought hard to keep them down. Turnstile revenue is after all, only a small part of what the club regards as income

Of course any new owners will be backed..... I''m a little confused as to the point of the statement. Informing them of the attendances would be part of checking the books, I dont think they''ll need to look it up on the internet :o)

The club has been actively seeking investment for 50+ years. Its nothing new. Even I get calls because I once booked a corp deal for a game.....about 5 years ago. I still get 2 or 3 calls a year. They''ve always worked very hard at raising funds, there are people at the club who do nothing else.

Delia would take investment or buyout, she''s always said that. Just thank the board for establishing a criteria, else Cullum may have been sitting there last night playing with his new .....cheap..... toy

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed - as a casual who goes less than he would like, but more often than he can afford to, And who stumped up 75 quid or thereabouts for 3 tickets for the QPR capitulation, I thoroughly agree with the sentiment.  I guess something needs to be done, and this is as close to getting something done as anyone else has managed.

I''ve stuck it on facebook now Beauseant, the NCFC group has over 3000 members so hopefully some of them will sign the petition as well.