Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

How to beat Swansea...

From my very limited knowledge of the Swansea team, and tactical knowledge in general, I think the main threats we''ll have to deal with will be Jason Scotland and Ferrie Bodde as well as other onrushing midfield players. My suggestion is that we play 2 holding players in clingan and Pattison, and two out and out wide players in Croft/Bell/Hoolahan. One or other of Clingan/ Pattison can double up marking Scotland, and we also have a spare player to track Bodde''s runs into the box. If we are quick to break their attacks down we should hopefully have a wide player spare on the wing ready for distribution from either the holding players or the defense. If Swansea aren''t coming at us we may have to draw them out, in which case I think that the wide positions would again be our best bet as the spine of the Swansea team seems quite strong, so if we doubled up with the fullbacks running beyond the wide player and the holding player giving another option back up the field I think we could use our strength in numbers against them. I realise that a lot of this strategy is contingent on good delivery from wide positions but with Bell out there we can get at least some good balls in the box for the strikers to attack.

3-5-2 then perhaps?Ask Patty to do some man to man marking allowing Clingan and Bell to work the ball wide to Otsemobor and Bertrand as wingbacks?Or go 4-5-1 doing the same but with Hoolahan in Huckerby''s old position out on the left slightly advanced of the rest of midfield although with some tracking back and being a nuisance when they have the ball?

I see where you''re coming from chicken but I can''t see GR being that adventurous in all honesty with regards the wing-backs, but I think the 4-5-1 could be very effective away from home should we have a strong enough striker to hold the ball up. I think if Hoolahan could be used in that way against teams like Brum we may be able to beat the defensive collossus that is Lee Carsley and other defensive midfielders; if we could drag him out of position then the Brum back 4 would lack the protection that has seen them concede relatively few goals this season. I know we''ve already played them but it''s more a suggestion for future games. I am not Glenn Roeder, nor do I eagerly anticipate the latest release of Football manager! Just my view on what could be a good way of beating Swansea, and other teams.

Went to Ipswich vs Swansea a few weeks ago and I was impressed with the swans. Play very wide and very good passers of the ball. Their midfield is class especially through the middle so I''d definetly have Pattison and Clingan in the middle. Don''t really think they have much up front though. Pintado, Bauza and Scotland are all hit and miss if you ask me.

[quote user="elgrande"]Went to Ipswich vs Swansea a few weeks ago and I was impressed with the swans. Play very wide and very good passers of the ball. Their midfield is class especially through the middle so I''d definetly have Pattison and Clingan in the middle.

Don''t really think they have much up front though. Pintado, Bauza and Scotland are all hit and miss if you ask me.
[/quote]

should be enough to bang in a few against us then!

Sounds like the Swans are a bit inconsitent to me, like ourselves and most other clubs in the championship, therefore there is no reason to suppose we couldn''t give them a good thrashing if we are on our game and play it sensibly from a defensive perspective.