I definately wouldn''t fancy a job as a steward in the Barclay - its a thankless task. We know the club are obliged to make every effort to make fans sit, we know the fans are going to make a mockery of it.

No sooner had they started to make inroads into the standers on Sat than some good moves, or a ''stand up...'' song had us all on our feet again. And so they start again at the bottom trying to make people sit down. Meanwhile the top half of the Palace fans seemed to stand throughout.

Its a farce, and makes an ass of the law. What happens next???

Good point Amarillo - "What happens next", are you Sue Barker? If so,they all fall over and the ball rebounds off the crossbar onto the roof!

The Club has to enforce the Ground Safety rules - if not, it could lose its safety certificate. Enforcement could be by way of closing those sections of the ground where persistent standing occurs. Just hope that it does not happen.

OTBC

Sure, but will they not have to then relocate those season ticket holders in that area? Or are they barred from games? If they relocate, will they not just stand up somewhere else? Will they have to get to the point of banning individuals who they can prove persistently stand? Or closing the whole ground? I''m in block D and I mostly sit. But if I get banned because they close block D down, I won''t take it lightly. I wouldn''t even want to be moved to another part of the ground. Presumably they''ll ban away supporters as well.

I know its the law ''n'' all, I just can''t see any compromise between the rock and the hard place. I see no evidence that the many of fans in E block are prepared to sit down, so its a farcical situation. Laws are all very well but to succeed they have to be a) enforceable and b) have the general support of the population....

not one steward asked anyone in our area (block c) to sit down, they will never manage to get everyone to sit down, this law is completely ridiculous and if our club want to be recognised for anything this year it is to challenge stupid legislation such as this

unsafe? no, just another way of controlling us all, yes

Basically, the away fans come for the game and are then gone so that doesnt bother the club.

what does concern them is the fact that they could lose their right to open areas of the ground. This has happened at Man U and they were forced to close and area of their main stand.

The thing is, for Man U the finacial implications are not as bad as they would be for us.

If a section was to be closed then no one with tickets in that area would be able to attend. End of story. The club would simply say that it is your (the fans) fault. Which is not really fair on those who do sit down.

I have been a season ticket holder for 10 years and remember when i first started going that the whole of the E block would stand for the whole game. It was the way of life. If you didnt stand you wouldnt see. I do think that it is a little excessive and have seen a number of fans ejected from their seats around me last season. I think that it is a case of you have been warned and it will not be long before you see an increase in the number of police in the stands using their authority to ''kick people out''. And the worse thing of the matter is that if it is a third offence at a football match or you have a previous history you risk losing you season ticket and being on the end of a three year football ban...

Not really fair on the loyal supporters that we have a NCFC but the club are now talking the hard line in enforcement...

Personally I don''t see why fans in that part of the ground have to stand up all through the game. Everyone in the ground stands from time to time, but everywhere else they sit back down again.

Sitting is a consequence of modern top flight football and all seater stadiums - get used to it. If you want to stand during a game go and support someone like Cambridge who still have a lovely terrace, designed and built for the purpose of standing at a football match.

There are 2000 city fans on the waiting list that would give their right arm for the opportunity to ''sit'' at Carrow Road.

OTBC

"see an increase in the number of police in the stands using their authority to ''kick people out''."

I hope you''re wrong, but fear you will be right. Which is still a farce, given the Chief Constable complaining about a £15m shortfall in Norfolk Police''s budget for the coming year. So... my house is being burgled or my car nicked because the police are all very busy upholding the law about sitting at Carrow Road. The world is going mad.

Ama,

Its a funny old world that we live in. All i can say is that its like being back at school for me!

But i have forged a good sense of banter with the steward who starts at the bottom of the E block and then works his wa\y up the stand trying to get people to sit down!

It is the club that want to get people to sit down, and the stewards are just the messengers, so dont shoot them!

Right on, Magic Eyes - that''s what you need if you sit in some areas of the Barclay!
No, seriously, what do we go to Carrow Road for? I go to a/support the team I have followed for over 50years and b/ to be able to see and enjoy the game I love. Yes, I used to stand when it was allowed and sometimes, even now, wished we could stand at times but the law says we must sit. I can sympathise with those fans wishing to stand but not up to the point when our Club could be in danger of losing something which is vital to its very existence. I would plead with the fans wishing to stand to protest in the proper manner by getting the law changed to enable a standing only area provided, then everybody would be happy (hopefully!) I can also sympathise with the fan who has paid £300 - £400 for his seat and then sees only part of the games. I think the Club, having raised this issue by sending letters with other info. regarding standing, should come out and set out what it proposes to do about the situation - then the fans would know exactly where they stand! (pardon the pun)

OTBC

Persistant standing eh, knowhatimean?. Does that include our own dear Delia and her hubby, madly jumping up and down in the directors box?. I now have this incriminating evidence on video recorded from the BBC. Do I report them now to the proper authority?.

Or is that area excempt?

By all means, Wizard, but I think you will find, like many, many fans in the ground, Delia & Hubby only do that when we score a goal - and we don''t score that many, unfortunately!
I think if you are a real Wizard you know what persistent standing is and more important, know what the cure is for the complaint!

OTBC

One of the problems is that if someone in front of you stands up, then you do, and it has a knock on effect. Also, its natural at exciting moments in the game to stand, I dont think theyre going to enforce that one. The problem is in the title itself, persistent standing, where play isnt at the point where everyones out of their seats etc.

Its not as exciting chanting out support when youre sat down, you want to be up on your feet. Where that becomes ''excessive'' is when the stewards take action but the Club (and the police) have to be seen to be upholding the ruling.

magic eyes

sorry mate, but the day i want to sit through ninety minutes of a game is the day i stop going

watching football is exciting, something many of us don''t experience in our everyday lives - we never know what is going to happen next

i fully appreciate that some of us are infirm or don''t want to stand, fine, all that needs to be done is to make certain areas standing only, or sitting only, you then have a choice

choice being the name of the game

i have stood on terraces since 1971 and never once been injured, so the safety aspect is a non-starter, just part of modern life''s way of controlling us

i don''t wish to support cambridge or any other team, this is my team and i will support them till the day i die, standing up when the situation demands it, an attack by us, anything exciting - and i bet you most of those on the waiting list would stand up when huckerby flies down the wing too - one of them is my daughter, who gets even more passionate than me at games

one day common sense will prevail and this stupid law will no longer haunt us - whatever next, a clothing policy, no swearing, no singing?

I find it an insult to be told that because I stand during games I should lose my season ticket to people on the waiting list. You can''t create the same atmosphere when sat down and that is what we need to gee the team up when things are goind down. I, for one, feel really stupid chanting and clapping while sat down. It just doesn''t feel right.
Talking bout taken season tickets for standing is as absurd as throwing people out for not singing during a game. I say throughout everyone from the river end and only give the seats to fans who will sing.

We''re not alone:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/3570716.stm

and I bet there are others. The fact of the law remains. The question is about what will give first, since clearly the authorities aren''t going to ''turn a blind eye''.

Perhaps the club should move some of the grumpy old gits from the river end to the back of the barclay. As soon as people stand they chorus SIDDOWN on the top of their voices in the sargeant major style. And it works!!!

We all know its stupid. Its not unsafe. If you don''t want to sit in an area where everyone stands move your season ticket somewhere else. But sadly it will be the club which will lose capacity if the local authority get shirty. So bring in the grumpy old men!