Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

is Roeders Arrogance....

[quote user="old yellow bird"]Thanks Cam - you have described our manager exactly - and I for one am OK with it at present. Let''s keep everything crossed that Glenn''s focus and effort pay off in terms of results. After all if we were in the top 6, the tone of questions on Tuesday would have been a bit different......[/quote]

Exactly right OYB. But likewise if we were in the top 6 the tone might have been all aboiut the masterstroke of getting quality loans in. Everything Roeder does, or the board for that matter, is judged on games won and league position. What else is there?

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]You''ve obviously not spent too many evenings with Mr Roeder have you?[/quote]

Is he as bad as he sounds the Cam, seeing as you''ve probably met him?

[/quote]

He''s widely respected in the business and by many players and was widely respected by other players in his own playing days.

Is he arrogant?  Yes, I think that''s going to be the verdict of manyIn all honesty, I don''t ever see him being a fans favourite but perhaps if he can bring some success to the club he''ll be forgiven a bit.

[/quote]

I''m sure he''s respected - how else has he been so successful in bringing in all the loanees? Poor old Grant really struggled in that department and Evans, Taylor and Lita have been excellent. Not to mention some of the perm signings too. But I haven''t forgotten that Observer article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/04/sportfeatures.footballmanagers

Roeders abrasive performance early on at the AGM has no bearing at all on his ability to win football matches or manage players. Those who circulate rumours about the players disliking him should try to make those rumours fit with the facts that Ched Evans, Ryan Bertrand and Leroy Lita all came back for a second spell despite obviously having other options.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]You''ve obviously not spent too many evenings with Mr Roeder have you?[/quote]

[/quote]

He''s widely respected in the business and by many players and was widely respected by other players in his own playing days.

Is he arrogant?  Yes, I think that''s going to be the verdict of many,  particularly people who want a matey, chatty Manager who says all the right things.  Roeder''s mistake, if that it is, is to say exactly what he thinks which is a fairly rare commodity among Managers in my experience.  The difference I think is that many Managers will be quite happy to let rip in private while uttering platitudes in public: I''m afraid GR is likely to say exactly the same in both circumstances which most people aren''t used to hearing.

One thing to his credit, I believe, is that he is amazingly focused on his job.  Whether he is going to be a success at Norwich none of us can say but I''d be confident of saying that it won''t be for want of trying.  You will get 100 per cent effort, no slacking, as he once gave on the field.

I think it fair to say that he believes that many supporters haven''t the slightest idea what they are talking about but, again, lots of Managers will say that: it''s just that they would not say it in public.

I''m reminded of Managers like Holloway who always said all the right things at the right time.  Your AGM would have been a hoot - funny, witty and most people would have heard the answer they wanted to hear.  But would anything really have changed?  He promised the earth - and a lifetime committment - on a regular basis but there''s a chap on the Evening Herald who once said: "His press conferences go on and on but when you analyse it you''ve got virtually nothing to write about."

I honestly don''t think you''ll be able to fault him for effort but whether that will be enough I do not know.  I''d also say that he''s not very good at the public arena stuff - he doesn''t like doing it but he has improved at press conferences since joining you.  They were often rather prickly at West Ham and Newcastle but, of course, he had the nationals on his neck there and there''s another collection of ego''s and/or arrogance and/or self confidence.  You probably noticed that Mr Kinnear had a go back the other day!

Privately he comes across as very, very earnest, very, very committed.   I think one other problem is that he doesn''t do small talk well and I suspect that he expects everyone else to be as committed as he is.

In all honesty, I don''t ever see him being a fans favourite but perhaps if he can bring some success to the club he''ll be forgiven a bit.

[/quote]

Well written, measured, fair and accurate - you do your profession proud Cam, unlike many in it!

[quote user="old yellow bird"]Thanks Cam - you have described our manager exactly - and I for one am OK with it at present. Let''s keep everything crossed that Glenn''s focus and effort pay off in terms of results. After all if we were in the top 6, the tone of questions on Tuesday would have been a bit different......[/quote]"After all if we were in the top 6, the tone of questions on Tuesday would have been a bit different....."           In comparison it''s like saying  - if we had just won the Champions League the tone would have been different again - but we are not, we are sitting at the bottom of the old Div 2 with a totally abject manager in charge who doesn''t have a clue what he''s doing!

[quote user="old yellow bird"] He came out all guns blazing and was rude, abrasive and arrogant as others have said. However I thought he seemed to pick up the mood pretty quickly and toned down his responses. He told us he says things as he sees them - and he did just that. Personally I was not offended by his remarks - just thought that they were misguided.Roeder isn''t half as much a concern as our numerically reduced and ideas-starved board.[/quote]

Well I can only say things as I see them too and I saw an arrogant, rude man who was full of his own importance and looking round at the faces of people who stood near me  they thought so too.

I was very offended by his remarks and unlike you think both the board and Roeder are of big concern , will be interested to hear what the rest of your committee think.

If he gets us promoted or higher up the league and attracts decent players, albeit on loan, I could not care too much how arrogant he is to be honest. I want a successful manager who does things his way, not some popular manager who wims to all requests by the fans.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]If he gets us promoted or higher up the league and attracts decent players, albeit on loan, I could not care too much how arrogant he is to be honest. I want a successful manager who does things his way, not some popular manager who wims to all requests by the fans.[/quote]

I''m not fussed about a popular manager either but I do want a manager who respects the fans and listens to their opinions without being rude. As I said before you don''t need to like him as long as he does the business and if he does I''ll be well happy.

Have to say its very interesting to now hear Mr R''s quote in its true context.  Obviously people here have an agenda as they did at the AGM.  I for one cannot believe that the Huckerby thing is continuing to drag along.  A decision was made and thats it.  On the one hand it would have been great to offer him say 4K a week and for him to stay but do you honestly think he''d have dropped 14k a week? I doubt it. Bell is obviously a classy player, Clingan is a very good holding midfielder and whilst he hasnt shown his best yet, im sure that Hoolahoop will come good.  I would summise that these three are pretty much taking up the Hucks wage bill.  Needs weighing up. As for Mr Roeder, well............I think people have missed a trick here.  The fans should have been asking about why we started off the season playing some of the best flowing football that has been seen by a City fan for many a year, and have now seemed to ditch this idea for Grant style aimless hoofball.  Sibierski should have given us a cutting edge, not a big head to lump it to.  Also why has Lupoli been frozen out?  If he didnt cut and change his side so frequently, got us settled to each others styles, and generally gave the players a little freedom to play as they did at the start of the season i for one can see us being perfectly safe in mid table and knowing this league, possibly even challenge the top 6.  Lets see if he can finally get a settled side out, a settled playing style and get us on a run, because as we all know, once youre on a run in the fizzy pop league anything is possible.OTBC

The thing is it comes down to how you look at it. Imo Glenn does not not like supporters as such, he sees them as an annoyance when they question him as I feel he believes that they are not in no way near qualified to question his opinion, which obviously comes across as arrogance to the fans, and maybe it is.  I feel, and again is only my opinion that he thinks fans should get behind the team no matter what and be happy with what we receive.

What however I feel he fails to take into account is the fact that the fans feel, maybe rightly so that it is their club, and they should be treated more importantly as it is their money at the end of the day keeping the club afloat and Glenn employed. Ok I hear the argument I would rather have a manager who talks how it is and has a succesful team, but we are hardly succesful and because of his attitude to the fans is it right for us to give him our support?

reminds me of an interview a few years ago with John Salako....a good player but nothing amazing.  He was quoted as saying all footballers hate fans and branded them all as morons. Now i can half see his point due to all fans ridiculous levels of expectation but on the flip side we would all give our right arm to play for City and as such have a passion for the game that a mercenary "professional" could never understand.  I think the same applies to managers.  In my opinion it doesnt take a great footballer to become a good manager....a prime example being Wenger or Ferguson....what is required is intelligence, foresight (3yr plan?!?! :) ) and most importantly, man management skills.  Any professional footballer should know how to play the game. All they need is a little direction and the confidence to fit into a unit, do their job and be comfortable in what they are doing.  In my opinion it really shouldnt take too much to gel a good team.  Grant obviously tried too hard and overcomplicated things....roeder seems to rotate far too frequently and as such our side has no common understanding on how to play as a team.Lets just get it back to basics.....The Championship: 4-4-2, 2 half decent wide men (bell, hools),2 full backs that can push on (semmy and plastic), little and large up front (sibs, lupoli/lita), one ball winner/passer (clingan) and one forward pushing midfield engine (ala Francis.....Possibly Matty Patty could fulfill this role?!?!).  a blanced midfield 4 with the class that we undoubtedly have should be able to propel us up the league. The idea of one wide man makes us as preditable as the hucks days when all a side had to do was double up on our left and we had no plan B.i honestly do believe that these days a manager tries too hard to chop and change, thus waxing his own ego...if his changes work then he is a master tactician....well the thing is we play our football in england...it is a fast paced, not very technical game. What it requires is a good team spirit, players who know what they are doing and a willingness to out run,tackle,pass the opposition.  a carking example of this is Spurs.....overly complicated Spanish tactics, trying to change how the side thought about and played their football. Harry comes in, changes them to a 4-4-2,gets them playing simple english football and suddenly they are untouchable. You only have to look at the 90s dominance of Man Utd....how many times did Sir Alex move away from a 4-4-2??  

Yes Roeder knows he has the bargaining ''bean'' of the club not being able to afford to sack him and I feel the lack of funds is being used as an excuse for our mediocrity this season!

Roeders not going to go to a bigger club than us at his stage and bad record. Thi is probably his last big payday before getting a less paid job s a scout or academy coach!

I could take all the rudeness and arrogance if the results backed him up up but they don''t!

Appointing Roeder has proved to be a mistake and cannot see where things will improve while he is in charge even if we had money!

[/quote]

Is he arrogant?  Yes, I think that''s going to be the verdict of many,  particularly people who want a matey, chatty Manager who says all the right things.  Roeder''s mistake, if that it is, is to say exactly what he thinks which is a fairly rare commodity among Managers in my experience.  The difference I think is that many Managers will be quite happy to let rip in private while uttering platitudes in public: I''m afraid GR is likely to say exactly the same in both circumstances which most people aren''t used to hearing.

One thing to his credit, I believe, is that he is amazingly focused on his job.  Whether he is going to be a success at Norwich none of us can say but I''d be confident of saying that it won''t be for want of trying.  You will get 100 per cent effort, no slacking, as he once gave on the field.

I think it fair to say that he believes that many supporters haven''t the slightest idea what they are talking about but, again, lots of Managers will say that: it''s just that they would not say it in public.

I''m reminded of Managers like Holloway who always said all the right things at the right time.  Your AGM would have been a hoot - funny, witty and most people would have heard the answer they wanted to hear.  But would anything really have changed?  He promised the earth - and a lifetime committment - on a regular basis but there''s a chap on the Evening Herald who once said: "His press conferences go on and on but when you analyse it you''ve got virtually nothing to write about."

I honestly don''t think you''ll be able to fault him for effort but whether that will be enough I do not know.  I''d also say that he''s not very good at the public arena stuff - he doesn''t like doing it but he has improved at press conferences since joining you.  They were often rather prickly at West Ham and Newcastle but, of course, he had the nationals on his neck there and there''s another collection of ego''s and/or arrogance and/or self confidence.  You probably noticed that Mr Kinnear had a go back the other day!

Privately he comes across as very, very earnest, very, very committed.   I think one other problem is that he doesn''t do small talk well and I suspect that he expects everyone else to be as committed as he is.

In all honesty, I don''t ever see him being a fans favourite but perhaps if he can bring some success to the club he''ll be forgiven a bit.

[/quote]

fair comment cam - having seen him perform at the NCISA meeting in the spring, i reckon roedy clearly doesn''t suffer fools gladly, and he''s your old fashioned type of player and personality,,,he''s the sort you could rely on to back you up in an argument...i''d want him on my side!!!and yeah - i can imagine roedy would be pretty much p**sed at our poor start to the season, and having rescued city from relegation - would probably hope the fans would be cutting him some slack and trusting him to get it right on the pitch - but he must also know - the fans demand success and you''re only as good as your last result - there''s no resting on laurals,,,imo the man is fiercely ambitious and must hate losing intensely - it must rankle that he can''t find a winning formula for his team,,,and just like curo''s increasingly desparate search for 200 goals, he must want to get that 2nd season failure monkey well off his bowed back,,,i hope he gets it right,,,for the sake of all concerned...but clearly, he could do with part of his summer hols spent at charm school!!!