Sign in to follow this  
YGB

we need a new striker

lets be honest today result is not what we really hoped for and we should be winning against palace at home. today i think we really lacked a big stiker which dean ashton would fit the bill perfectly. greeno save was out of this world, back 4 solid, holty was a bit quiet but it wil come other 3 midfielders were solid hucks goal was quality and svennson not exitsent 1 player can make the differents. im confident we can stay up!! bring on man u

why should we be winning at home against palace ,you dont have the right to win games i thought both teams played well and gave 100% they could of sat back and played for a bore draw and a point each and to say svensson was not exitsent how can he play upfront on his own against four defenders hucks kept going wide francis and holt didnt get in the box and bentley was slow and where was jonson. its a team game and you cant keep having a go at one player ie-svensson.

Have to agree with you on Svensson, he reminded me a bit of a flying gazelle. Shame Worthy didn''t give McKenzie more than 9 mins as he looked more likely to trouble the Palace defence than Svensson did in the previous 81 mins. Huckerby was again outstanding, but he needs a proper striker alongside him. I guess Worthy took Bentley off because of his age, because frankly he looked dangerous all afternoon; and he gets back and defends when needed.

Despite their lack of inches I thought Charlton and Fleming coped quite well. Helveg definitely looked class and Johnson probably needs a couple more games with the rest of the players, and a bit more protection from the ref. Drury, Holt and Francis had steady games and once again Green pulled off some world class saves. In my opinion McVeigh still remains a shadow of his former self, and why he doesn''t stay up when the opposition have corners I don''t know, he isn''t going to win any headers and he would be ideal to have alongside Huckerby when we make those quick breaks; I guess he plays to instruction from the coaching staff. Edworthy seemed out of place when he came on and I thought he would have slotted into right back where he played all last season and let Helveg move into midfield.

Having said all that it was a good start against a fairly handy Palace side, we have our first points on the board, and we have to face a weakened Man U at Old Trafford. The atmosphere was tremendous and I cannot wait for the next 18 home games, win, draw or lose.

all im sayin is that we need at least 40 point this year and to draw to palace isnt gd these are the matches we should look to win. last year svennson was quality but lets be honest he is not premiership quality i wud really love to see dean ashton here!

I agree we do need another striker but not for the same reasons as you. I though Holt was superb as usual in midfield and Francis looked good 2. This is no criticism on Hucks but I fel when he plays up front he spends his whole time pulling out wide leaving Svenson wih far to much ground to cover, noe of the crosses went anywhere near him. This is a tactical issue, not the fault of the players.

I agree green and yellow, I thought Svenson failed to make any impact on the game whatsoever. We do need another striker to at least make him work for his place.

I have to say I totally agree and I think this is a serious problem which needs to be addressed urgently. Watching Sven at today’s game I have to say he was completely ineffective and I too thought that we are one player away from a really good team. I would say Shola Ameobi on loan from Newcastle might be worth a look as a target man or maybe even Pedersen who scored two goals for Bolton today as he might not be assured a place there with Bridges, Davies, Gianakopulos(forward and midfielder) and Ferdinand already in there frontline. I also would say that the defence did look very impressive as a defensive unit and I think looking at the defence it isn’t essential to buy a centre back, but essential to get in another striker and quickly.

i think people are mincing their words....the truth ,svennson was bloody useless i was hoping he was going to come back leaner and meaner,he still looks 1/2 stone over weight and if he was bought to replace roberts we''ve bin had ,can''t hold a ball up and his distribution was today iffy to say the least .

Think my dad could have played better than him today he spends half of the game chasing players without the ball. Need a target man with strength what about kevin campbell or big dunc ferguson someone thats been there and done it and can produce the goods!!!!!!!!!

i''ve said it many times already and got slammed for it -- we need another striker to partner hux. i want to see how sven does in the next few games but if substantial improvement isn''t seen, this should convince everyone we need a good striker.

Svensson was indeed very poor, and it wasn''t because he was up on his own with no service. Too often he was lagging behind the game - e.g. Huck''s wonder-goal (which he had no right to get - either the ball or the goal), and Bentley''s great cross in the first half: in both cases he wasn''t where he should have been - up in support. He also failed in almost every challenge for a header. Sorry, but he just looks out of sorts, and we can''t wait for him to find form. Bring on McKenzie.

How can everybody say like that after just ONE game in the Prem?!?! ONE game.. it''s 37 games left so stay calm please!! Svensson WILL score, that''s for sure. And we WILL stay in the Premiership!
Now I really look forward to Old Trafford =)

Sven did have a poor game, but he was very isolated yesterday. Hucks made some fantastic runs to the left but this did leave Sven on his own. I don''t think he''s like a Iwan where he''ll chest the ball down and lay it off. He probably needs another guy next to him to help him out. I too would like to see us sign another big guy upfront. Who? That''s for Nige to decide! But I wouldn''t mind him taking a trip up to see Temp and while he was there......

Keep the faith

Svensson was off the pace today, just as he was when he frist signed for us. All he needs is a few matches to get up to speed. Everybody was on his back when he first came here and said what a waste of time signing him, but by the end of the season you never heard one criticism. We know he can score goals, so give him a break. In my opinion Bentley and Jonson were slightly off the pace today but it doesn''t make them bad player''s does it. I think Mckenzie looked good for the few minutes he was on the pitch and yes he looked alot fitter the Svensson, but he always did look fitter. Worhty will sign someone next week as i have my sources but i can''t let out any secrets. You have to be patient!!!!!!!!!

I think worthy knows he needs another striker. too many times yesterday we had one striker against four defenders. I think that''s what we have to accept in exchange for Huckerby''s brilliance and flair. However, it''s a clear to anyone that we need a striker experienced to hold the ball up and get huckerby and bentley moving on with pace.

I''d recommend a big investment, like Huckerby was last season, and the name in the frame should be greek target man Angelos Charisteas, weder bremen would be willing to sell and he showed in euro2004 that he could play that target man role to lethal effect.

still not to be disappointed we still have enough all round to stay up. I think it was more a case of Palace being better than we all thought. Come on the canaries

I hate to have a go at players who contributed to us getting promoted, but Svennson is not good enuff to start up front for a Premiership side. We need a player who is going to score goals as well as Huckerby, and someone who is going to hold the ball up, as much as on the floor as in the air.

To be honest I don''t think Dean Ashton will cut it in the premiership, he wud be good for us in the Championship next season, but personally we cannot be planning to get relegated, we need to give ourselves the best chance of staying up. We need someone like Malcolm Christie or Jon Macken, Christie will score goals and is good with his back to goal, and will not get a game for Middlesborough. Whilst Macken although not proven at premiership level, has enuff talent to do us a very good job. To be honest I don''t think we need a big target man, we need someone who can hold the ball up on the floor and bring our wide players in2 the game.

As for a defender, I think we shud sign Dean Richards, it looks like Doherty is staying as he came on for them yesterday, and Richards is good in the air and will keep most bottom half team strikers quiet which will be our crucial games that will decide our premiership future.

King of Latvia, you must admit if we''re to finish above Palace (who we finished 15 points ahead of), WBA (ditto 8 pts ahead of) plus one other team even better than them, then we really need to win all the winnable ones as well as a few ''lucky'' ones, then make the rest up with as many hard-fought draws as possible. That''s why we "should" have won yesterday.

That doesn''t mean that the one contrary result yesterday has sent us down already (!), but of course it might make all the difference when it comes to the end: we''ll all be scrabbling for every single point come May next year.

But we can still do it! And Worthie is still talking of adding 2 players to the squad, which is great news (http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,873516,00.html)

I agree with most of your points stan however there is no time to be patient, we have to hit the ground running in the premiership, once you start to drift at the bottom end of the table it''s a bigger task trying to play catch up. I''m not being pessimistic either, I liked a lot of what i saw yesterday and still stand by the prediction that we might be ok. But, i think we need another striker to at least push sven for his place, remember we still haven''t replaced Iwan!!

i think were all being a little too quick to blame certain players for not trying/performing! think back to last year on the opening day, we drew against bradford who got relegated, it always takes a while.

i read somewhere today NW wants a striker and centre half, if he gets the players he wants and we still play like that in a month then start complaining, not now!!!

So let me get this right... after just 90 mins of the season, and after setting up one goal, Svensson is written off, despite having a great promotion season!!! Knee and jerk are the words that come to mind.

I''m not writing Sven off. I would like to see him start at Old Trafford and to see what he can do in the following weeks. BUT I would like another striker at the club too.

I seem to be getting distinct deja-vu with this thread. Weren''t we having exactly the same debate around Palace/Cardiff away last year? Look what happened in the end- Sven went on a goal scoring spree!! Why couldn''t this happen again?

Keep the faith

You also have to recall that our record first game of the season is pretty abysmal recently with only 1 win in 6/7 seasons. We only drew with Bradford last year in a game we expected to win, took the lead in and then disappointingly drew.

I felt there were more positives than negatives though but we must improve over the next few games...

OTBC

two things that stuck out for me:

Tartget man

and conceeding set pieces.

As we have no height this is a big worry.......

You got it there DD! And have you already forgotten his pre-season appereances?? He was our best player in those matches and did lay behind almost every attack. So stay calm and give him a break!

What frustrated me the most on Saturday was the sight of Huckerby being the only player staying up during the second half as palace piled on the pressure. He had 2 men on him the whole time and palace still kept a third man back - I cannot understand why instructions were not given from the bench for one more of our players to stay up - this would of allowed us another channel for a quick breakout - for long periods of the 2nd half we had had 10 in defence and huckerby drawing to the left. There was a massive void in between. I am very confident that our right side will become a real force with the 2 vikings working well together. Clearly Jonson was off the pace - but it was his first ever game at this level - he will improve and become a match winner. I am a bit concerned how Bentley and Huckerby can fit down the left together - Darren is best steaming down the left and I just felt that bentley had no where to go on Saturday. Concerning Matt Svensson - I agree he was slow - again he needs more match practice it seems - I really think McKensie could be a big surprise this season - the problem is where to fit him in as we do need a hold up player aswell. Seems clear to me that the potential is there we just have to find the right structure over the next few weeks and get the new signings connected.

Give the guy a few more games. Most of you are forgetting how well Sven and Hux started to link up together at the back end of last season. It was their partnership coming good that fired us over the line and out of reach of everyone. Do you not remember Burnley, Wigan, Walsall...

Give them some credit and let them settle in before launching into them. There a quite a few new faces in there too and the team needs to bed in.